373 Leaking cabin top window

William Arbaugh

Apr 4, 2018, 2:10:57 PM4/4/18
to benetea...@googlegroups.com
I’ve a slow leak from the cabin top window on my 373. A search of groups found some discussion about this 6+ years ago or so. I just wanted to check on anyone’s more recent experience in repairing this.

AYS wants $3k to replace the glass which is the only way they’ll guarantee the fix. That seems excessive. I’ll probably remove the current caulking and try and re-caulk. But, I wanted to see if there were additional things I might consider.

Thanks!

p.s. I did see the messages about Maritime Plastics from 2010. I plan to call them as well.

bill wagner

Apr 4, 2018, 4:18:56 PM4/4/18
to benetea...@googlegroups.com
Do you mean the fixed skylight?
If so, I have done it and the repair worked out very well.
Bill

Sent from my iPad
--
Largest Beneteau group, over **1121
** members and growing.

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Beneteau Owners" group.

William Arbaugh

Apr 4, 2018, 4:20:30 PM4/4/18
to benetea...@googlegroups.com
Yes the fixed skylight. AYS says pulling the window results in breakage and thus the need for a new one.

What did you do?

bill wagner

Apr 4, 2018, 4:39:11 PM4/4/18
to benetea...@googlegroups.com
I was told the same thing by a top firm in hatch replacement called Select Plastics in Norwalk, Ct. They said my 1996 Oceanis 440 was too old and the plastic would break upon trying to removal. It didn't.
A friend of mine is very talented and we slowly and carefully were able to remove the old caulking and then the plastic. Used silkaflex to rebed. No leaks. Great feeling.

Bill

On Apr 4, 2018, at 2:10 PM, William Arbaugh <warb...@gmail.com> wrote:

[...]

William Arbaugh

Apr 4, 2018, 4:46:55 PM4/4/18
to benetea...@googlegroups.com
I was thinking of pulling the old caulk and then injecting some glue around the whole then and then re-caulking.

How long did it take you?

contact denny.we...@gmail.com, or ume...@comcast.net if you have a list management question
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Beneteau Owners" group.

drdanj

Apr 4, 2018, 10:10:25 PM4/4/18
to Beneteau Owners
You missed my recent post & discussion about this on my '94 O400. I finally gave up and on a good friend's high recommendation, had a local professional do the work, he pulled both windows out, rebedded them, finished them off very neatly, all in about five hours total.

At $65/hour plus materials, he charged $360. It was money very well spent. $3k is insane! I kept the old plastic, it is a bit scratched, but I'm okay with it.

Dan

drdanj

DAVID FLETCHER

Apr 5, 2018, 9:21:05 AM4/5/18
to benetea...@googlegroups.com
Look on EBay for a windshield seal cutter tool. They will cut the seal easily and will allow for a smooth pressure to cut out the adhesive. Then slip a piano wire into the opening and finish the cut around the Center area. If you try to lever out the lens you will break it for sure.

The key is cleaning all of the surfaces. Then re cleaning

Sent from my iPhone

DAVID FLETCHER

Apr 5, 2018, 9:56:56 AM4/5/18
to benetea...@googlegroups.com
Having owned a 400 and repaired the sky lights I can say with someone certainty there is a big difference between a 400 and 373 repair.

3k is at the high side however by comparison I believe the 400 glass is around 400 and the 373 393 423 glass is close to 1k alone

To do it right it takes a lot of time to get the prep work done. The window is curved and needs to have a jig to hold down the corners. Unlike the 400 which is flat the other series of B have a curve which continually pulls the corners up.

You can spend two days pretty easily if you want a good job

Maybe closer to 2,300 - 2,500. If Chris HUMPHREYS’s at AYS does the work it will be done correctly.

I wish you good luck either way you go, you need to repair it.

Fletch

Sent from my iPhone

bill wagner

Apr 5, 2018, 10:20:03 AM4/5/18
to benetea...@googlegroups.com
We spent a couple of hours removing the window and half a day installing it, going very slowly and carefully. Used all the supplementary products of Silka flex: primer, caulking gun etc. Check out Jamestown Marine web site.
I can't remember the name of the product we used to loosen up the caulking. I believe it was called Release.
Bill

Sent from my iPad

bill wagner

Apr 5, 2018, 11:33:29 AM4/5/18
to benetea...@googlegroups.com
Just keep in mind what David says. I don't know the difference between my 440 and your boat. We did have to put weights on top of corners to keep them down during curing.
Bill

Sent from my iPad

drdanj

Apr 5, 2018, 12:59:47 PM4/5/18
to Beneteau Owners
The fellow who did my work estimates the windows at about $40-$50 each. He has gotten windows like these from a place called American Plastics in Camarillo. He also says they can fabricate curved windows. He did my two flat windows in five hours.

drdanj

Apr 5, 2018, 1:00:23 PM4/5/18
to Beneteau Owners

drdanj

Apr 5, 2018, 1:08:00 PM4/5/18
to Beneteau Owners
I just got the info on the product Steve Patterson used (he replaced my windows).I had already bought the Sika products, he didn't use it.

He used Teak Deck sis-440. He says he's used it for 15 years and has never had to reseal a window (all prep dependent of course).

DAVID FLETCHER

Apr 5, 2018, 1:42:06 PM4/5/18
to benetea...@googlegroups.com
Go for it