Singing propeller on 323?

danstanford

Sep 28, 2016, 4:14:44 PM9/28/16
to Beneteau Owners
I have read through this forum and searched for the noise I have found on our new boat and am hoping for some feedback. I think it is a singing prop for a number of reasons despite how catastrophic it sounds!

It happens in a wider band (1200 to 1800 rpm) than what I have read about and it happens only when motoring at speed. In neutral or in gear tied to the dock you don't get the noise when in the same rev ranges. The only recorded singing prop that I can find is certainly at a different pitch but more importantly the person who posted it posted it as a question. I have recorded ours and am looking for feedback from anyone.

Dan

jkr...@aol.com

Sep 28, 2016, 4:53:10 PM9/28/16
to benetea...@googlegroups.com
Dan;
I went crazy for many years with a noise that sounded like a fan belt screech between 1600 and 1900 rpm. Long story short, I tried EVERYTHING. Finally bought a new folding prop, for other reasons, which had a 1" smaller diameter and the noise went away. Our dealer originally said he had heard of some people having to shave their prop tips, even though it was a factory prop,  but I couldn't buy the story originally. My boat yard mechanic called it cavitation when we talked about it later.
Good luck.
Ron
S/v Esprit

Sent from AOL Mobile Mail
--
Largest Beneteau group, over **1121
** members and growing.

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Beneteau Owners" group.

Dean Forbis

Ourdream351

Sep 28, 2016, 5:02:45 PM9/28/16
to benetea...@googlegroups.com
I had a similar noise when I first installed an Autoprop on my OC 351.  I report it to Autoprop and they assured me it was cavitation on the blade tips. I returned it to them and they chamfered the blade tips. Problem solved. Contact Steve Armitage at AB Marine/Autoprop (401) 847-7960

Sent from Bob's iPad
To post to this group, send email to Benetea...@googlegroups.com