Naming Question: selling and buying

Jack Vetter

Mar 31, 2015, 6:35:47 PM3/31/15
to benetea...@googlegroups.com
i really like my boat's name, Tutto Bene, but i am selling her (1991 38s5, [$64,500 although you did not ask]) to buy a friend's boat (2000 411) which is named after his wife.  how do you un-name a boat?  if you require the new owner to change the name, how do you enforce that?  are there just two Tutto Bene's in the area until he gets around to it?  do you change the name of the boat you are buying in the documentation change?
please tell me this part of the whole thing is easy!
jack vetter
Vallejo, CA

Mark J Wilme

Mar 31, 2015, 6:56:42 PM3/31/15
to benetea...@googlegroups.com

What about renaming before you sell it?

Is it USCG documented?

--
Largest Beneteau group, over **1086** members and growing.

Jeff Taylor

Mar 31, 2015, 7:42:52 PM3/31/15
to benetea...@googlegroups.com
Take the name off your boat,    When you buy the 411, pour Fireball whiskey on the transom, that wards off evil spirits.

I guy who owned my boat was such an ass I removed his boat name and put his lettering in the same container as the dog poop, and threw out everything that has his name on it.   I then used the Fireball

Sent from my iPhone.
Jeff Taylor

bjgr...@verizon.net

Mar 31, 2015, 7:59:35 PM3/31/15
to benetea...@googlegroups.com
I think it's a simple matter of buying the boat, changing the name ( after the nautical traditions, of which there are many ) then if documenting update the documentation.  I actually don't think you need to name the boat in a documentation process.  The DOC # and owners info is critical.  Oh, home port is too. Bruce (Breezy)

Captain Guy

Mar 31, 2015, 10:19:37 PM3/31/15
to benetea...@googlegroups.com
You can always make the renaming a condition of sale and have it done prior to closing but after downpayment.

Guy

Michel

Apr 1, 2015, 12:46:28 PM4/1/15
to benetea...@googlegroups.com
Jack,

In true nautical tradition to ensure fair winds and keep evil spirits away, there's a whole unaming then re-naming process (as Bruce (Breezy) pointed out which you can find on the net.
Heck, who am I to break the chain! I certainly don't want to upset Poseidon...and you could have fun doing it.
And before you start, make sure you remove all items on or in the boat with references to the old name. (includes removing old name lettering, photographs, documents etc)
enjoy, have fun and fair winds
Michel
~~~_/)~~~

Ted Weitz

Apr 1, 2015, 7:01:07 PM4/1/15
to benetea...@googlegroups.com
You should remember to update the MMSI, so that if you ever send a distress call they can find your boat.

Ted Weitz
B323 Gossamer Wings
--
Largest Beneteau group, over **1086** members and growing.

Ted Weitz
tm...@columbia.edu

Seattle Dave B411

Apr 11, 2015, 1:05:28 PM4/11/15
to benetea...@googlegroups.com
Aren't you supposed to run the boat aground before the name change?

Michael Roper

Apr 12, 2015, 1:33:07 AM4/12/15
to benetea...@googlegroups.com

With rum and champagne and a crowd

Apr 14, 2015, 3:02:33 PM4/14/15
to benetea...@googlegroups.com
cannot compel, but can request via the deal you sell through. You cannot remove the current name from the hull if a documented vessel, and they cannot affix new name until confirmed by coast guard.

However, if state registered only, name is just an option and can be removed before selling I believe, though cosmetically they may not like the visible glossier shadow of the name and cause contention in the closing. Ask the dealer for guidance.

From: mgr...@tpg.com.au
To: benetea...@googlegroups.com
Subject: RE: {Beneteau Owners} Re: Naming Question: selling and buying
Date: Sun, 12 Apr 2015 15:32:56 +1000