oil leak, raw water pump

Kidd, James

Apr 28, 2016, 9:54:35 AM4/28/16
to benetea...@googlegroups.com

Hello All,

Upon close inspection of my engine, I have found what appears to be an oil leak in the raw water pump on my Yanmar 4JH3 TE engine.

See attached photo.

The pump mounts to the engine and is driven by a gear which operates in an oil bath inside the engine. Apparently there is a seal that may be failing…

Has anyone changed this seal? Or do you just replace the pump?

Thx

James

James A Kidd

Northeast Regional Manager

Jk...@kaydon.com

617-448-2575 cell/office

231-755-4102 fax

www.kaydonbearings.com

IMG_1506.jpg

Alvis

Apr 29, 2016, 8:41:47 PM4/29/16
to Beneteau Owners
The oil seal is definitely replaceable, but you need to check that the shaft isn't too worn. While you have it off the engine and dismantled, it is worth checking the water seal and impellor as well.
Shafts can be repaired with a speedy sleeve, or metal sprayed and re-machined, but it is probably cheaper to replace than do the latter.
Cheers
Stuart

Sailor Parker

Apr 30, 2016, 12:39:56 PM4/30/16
to Beneteau Owners
Have tried to replace the seal and without the proper bearing press, etc., it's not worth the aggravation.

Kidd, James

Apr 30, 2016, 1:07:17 PM4/30/16
to benetea...@googlegroups.com
What I thought was an oil leak was actually a small amount of anti-freeze that had dripped on the raw water pump and also that attracted v-belt dust.
It looked very much like leaking oil but at this time I'm pretty certain it wasn't, As I had a small leak above with a loose hose clamp.

I just changed all of the hoses and I'm preparing to flush the engine and replace the antifreeze.

This seems thus far so simple to do...
All of the engine drains are accessible and I can't believe I was ready to pay the boat yard big dollars to do this.

Happy Spring everyone!

James

Sent from my iPhone

--
Largest Beneteau group, over **1121
** members and growing.

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Beneteau Owners" group.