Re: {Beneteau Owners} Anchor swivel

dbg...@mindspring.com

Jun 9, 2016, 5:53:02 PM6/9/16
to benetea...@googlegroups.com

a swivel is not designed for that purpose and may not solve your woes...

Swivels also are the weak link ( a source of frequent failures ) in the anchor rode / system

Jun 9, 2016, 6:00:48 PM6/9/16
to Beneteau Owners
Agree swivel would be a weak link try laying all the chai out as you have a twist in it ,take the anchor off when you do it the twist will come out easier
bungee

Bill

Jun 10, 2016, 9:28:12 AM6/10/16
to benetea...@googlegroups.com
Why wouldn't the twist come out while the chain is out and I am pulling up the anchor? It is free to rotate.
Bill
Sent from my iPad

> On Jun 9, 2016, at 6:00 PM, bungee.john <bunge...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Agree swivel would be a weak link try laying all the chai out as you have a twist in it ,take the anchor off when you do it the twist will come out easier
> bungee

bunge...@gmail.com

Jun 10, 2016, 5:19:34 PM6/10/16
to benetea...@googlegroups.com
If it's free to rotate then why the swivel ?

Johnny Pool
> You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Beneteau Owners" group.

or or

Jun 10, 2016, 9:27:13 PM6/10/16
to benetea...@googlegroups.com
Rotation occurs at the swivel. The anchor spins as it arrives on the rollers and the swivel allows that to happen. Some anchors are not weighted in a manner so that they will orient themselves on the bow. The Delta and Rocna do. CQR will orient well on the bow but it won't hold your boat in place unless you spend a few hours getting the idiotic device to, perhaps, connect with earth.

In 5 knots of current we got our Delta to solidly connect with earth. Sure, the chain helped, but it worked. If we were to repeat boat ownership I would buy a Rocna, but the Delta with lots of chain worked excellently every time, even in a gale.

Cap Munday
S/V Zydeco
Beneteau 473