Replacing C80 Chart plotter with ES98 cable access?

Jem Oceanis 40

Jan 25, 2018, 7:03:43 AM1/25/18
to Beneteau Owners
I am sure (nearly!) that I saw during exploring the hidden passages of my new to me Oceanis 40 some access to the area under the cockpit table for the cable runs to the pivoting centrally mounted pod for the chartplotter.

I was on the boat yesterday and couldn't find it. I want to replace the plotter and need access after about 1.5 m to join the cable supplying power. Other cable might be possible to draw through ducts. Help appreciated.

Jem

Allen

Jan 25, 2018, 8:07:35 AM1/25/18
to Beneteau Owners
You may have good reasons to upgrade, but if the C80 is malfunctioning or looking worn, replacements are available and just drop in.

I love my C80 classic.  |It does everything I need and when the display on the original went flaky, I went to eBay and found a like-new replacement for not too much money.  The replacement has now been in place for two years and is working well.  At the time, I considered upgrading, but didn't see much advantage and doing so would have required changing the radar, etc.

Jem Oceanis 40

Jan 25, 2018, 9:23:00 AM1/25/18
to Beneteau Owners
Thanks, I'm committed to the replacement and underway with the installation. Really hoping to hear from someone who knows the cabling on these boats.

Dean

Jan 25, 2018, 9:46:25 AM1/25/18
to Beneteau Owners
I have a 50. Access to the wires is in the ceiling of the starboard aft cabin. Opens into a void inside the cockpit table.

Good luck

Dean

Btbogdan46

Jan 26, 2018, 12:10:46 PM1/26/18
to Beneteau Owners
I had a Ben 40, # 184. I installed radar on the boat and know the installation well on my boat. There is an access port on the port side under the table. Unscrew that for access to the wiring. Climb inot the aft starboard locker and toward the center of the bulkhead there you will see a tube the will lead to the access port to the table. I used a snake to run through the tube, grabbed it at the access port and then fed a light line back to feed the wiring through the tube. My radar cable did not fit through the tube, so ran it alongside and wire tied it for stability. If you are going to run more than one wire through at different times, then leave a spare line to pull future wires through. DO not lean on the swivel mount for the chartplotter, It is only screwed in with short smscrews and will eventuall work itself loose.

Jem Oceanis 40

Jan 26, 2018, 12:18:37 PM1/26/18
to Beneteau Owners
Thanks. I will look under the table. That's a logical access and I already have located the duct from the starboard locker.

Great help, so thank you again for your time.

Jem