Lake Huron to Halifax

Bricolanto

Dec 4, 2017, 1:52:07 PM12/4/17
to benetea...@googlegroups.com
I am thinking of heading from Lake Huron to Halifax next summer and leaving the boat there over the winter.  I would be able to get the boat to Buffalo by end of June and would have July and August to travel the remaining distance.  Boat is an OC400.

Is that a realistic time frame to make the trip?  Any thoughts on must go places on that route?
Obviously NY city would be one.

Any input would be great!

Thanks,
S/V Bricolanto

Kidd, James

Dec 4, 2017, 3:16:03 PM12/4/17
to benetea...@googlegroups.com

I would think the Erie Canal to the Hudson and South to NYC  (de-masted of course) would be incredible…But do you have the time?

Instead…the St Lawrence River thru Montreal and Quebec City….Awesome….

James A Kidd

Key Account Manager

jk...@kaydon.com

james....@skf.com

617-448-2575 cell/office

231-755-4102 fax

www.kaydonbearings.com

--
Largest Beneteau group, over **1121
** members and growing.

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Beneteau Owners" group.

David Fletcher

Dec 5, 2017, 4:15:16 PM12/5/17
to Beneteau Group
Brian

A little confused.  NYC is a long ways from Halifax. Final destination is ?

I had friend go as far as Quebec City. It is not a warm sail past Quebec city. Lots of fog.

Depending on your final destination. The trip down the Hudson has some great history.  From NYC it is not too far to the Chesapeake.  Nice cruising grounds.

I think if you go down the the St Lawrence you need radar for sure.

Fletch

Sent from my Samsung device

Mike Noble

Dec 5, 2017, 5:10:18 PM12/5/17
to benetea...@googlegroups.com
Allow two days from Albany  to arrive at the 79th St. basin in the Hudson at NYC,  or a berth at Liberty Landing in NJ, just across from the financial district (preferred). Then two days back. You’ll add about a week to the trip, unless you plan to go from NYC out and around New England to Halifax rather than do the St. Lawrence route...

Sent from my iPhone

or or

Dec 5, 2017, 5:39:52 PM12/5/17
to benetea...@googlegroups.com
Years ago we met folks on a Pearson 36 in Rock Hall, MD. They were on the final leg of a trip from Chicago via St Lawerence Seaway then down to Delaware Bay and thence to Chesapeake Bay. They were in company with a Henkley Bermuda 40. They said it was a trying trip. The B40 hobby-horsed horribly going to weather in short sharp seas so they ended up motoring most of the way. This was 30 years ago so the details are evaporating, but it didn't sound like a fun trip. I'd lean toward Erie Canal to Albany then SOUTH! It would be tough to make a left turn at NY and again at the Cape Cod Canal since I love going south that time of year.

A two or three months ago I helped a friend move his Tayana 37 from Southwest Harbor, ME to Annapolis, and including 2 days in Scituate, MA, it took 2 weeks to get as far as Manasquan, NJ, then another 6 days to 'Naptown. That trip is gauged as much by boat speed as by limited places to overnight. My Capt. really knows the route, having done it for years, so he navigated and I steered. It was long, some of it was quite rough and I'd be hard pressed to do it again in a slow boat that struggled making 40 miles between overnights. Gads! We were stoked to see 5 Kts on the GPS. I am used to doing 60+ MPD!

Cap Munday
S/V Zydeco
Beneteau 473

iamdave

Dec 6, 2017, 8:55:06 AM12/6/17
to Beneteau Owners
Not really clear on what your asking but we went from NJ to Detroit via the Erie Canal route in less then 2 weeks.  It was a fairly slow paced trip & we really enjoyed it.  Count on loosing at least 1-2 days each time you need to take the mast down or put it up but this also depends on how many folks are in line.  When we got to Catskill there were 9 boats in front of us so we ended up spending 2 nights there.  When we got to Tonwonda we were the only boat but arrived at 3 and he did not want to do it until the next morning so only one night there.

Sounds like a fun trip.  I would like to head out and go up past Maine spending the summer up there.