How to trace fresh water leak

OUISAIL GMAIL

Apr 26, 2016, 4:46:27 PM4/26/16
to benetea...@googlegroups.com
Does anyone on the list have any experience tracing down a fresh water leak that is pooling under our floor boards? We are open to suggestions on where to start on our Oceanis. The water only seems to pool when we leave the water pump on. We have had to bail a LOT of water after a day of sailing and haven't had any luck finding where it might be originating. Obviously, we can leave the pump off, but that isn't the best solution when we have guests on board all day.

Any advice is appreciated!

Tina Marker

Mark Stillwell

Apr 26, 2016, 4:57:05 PM4/26/16
to Beneteau-Owners
How often does the water pump cycle when you are in your slip with the water pump on?

One option often discussed is sprinkling flour under the waterlines to help trace the leaks.

Mark & Suzanne Stillwell
S/V Dragonfly II
Beneteau 393

--
Largest Beneteau group, over **1121
** members and growing.

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Beneteau Owners" group.

Mohammad Bayegan

Apr 26, 2016, 8:20:48 PM4/26/16
to benetea...@googlegroups.com
Put some food coloring in your fresh water tank. It becomes visible to trace.
Marengo Beach 49 Galveston  Texas

Paul Schwab

Apr 26, 2016, 10:55:18 PM4/26/16
to benetea...@googlegroups.com

Since you seem to experience the leak only when the system is under pressure, you can eliminate the tanks and supply line before the pump. Pull the cabin sole, dry the bilge & turn on the pump. Start at the pressure pump and work downstream.

ume...@comcast.net

Apr 27, 2016, 7:36:15 AM4/27/16
to beneteau-owners
Besides the obvious like connections and fittings don't forget the over pressure relief at your water heater.

Apr 27, 2016, 9:35:23 AM4/27/16
to benetea...@googlegroups.com

To add to what others say:

Get a really bright flashlight. Start at one end of the boat (Stern most likely) and remove every obstruction from the lines and the tanks, and look everywhere. You will find it.

I had a small crack in the plastic elbows that connect the pressurized water lines together…. It was spraying a very fine mist into the air…but over a few days, this was gallons.

Bright light and access to all lines and tanks are the key.

Good luck

James A Kidd

Northeast Regional Manager

Jk...@kaydon.com

617-448-2575 cell/office

231-755-4102 fax

www.kaydonbearings.com

OUISAIL GMAIL

Apr 28, 2016, 11:22:47 AM4/28/16
to benetea...@googlegroups.com

Good idea on the flour, Mark. It’s cycling more frequently than normal. We will give this a try. Fingers crossed!

Tina

OUISAIL GMAIL

Apr 28, 2016, 11:23:56 AM4/28/16
to benetea...@googlegroups.com

Thank you, Paul –

I’m not used to having to deal with this issue. We will start at the pump and see what we find.

Thank you,

Tina

Apr 28, 2016, 11:24:59 AM4/28/16
to benetea...@googlegroups.com

Thanks for that reminder. We will check the water heater relief fittings as well.

Tina

OUISAIL GMAIL

Apr 28, 2016, 11:27:42 AM4/28/16
to benetea...@googlegroups.com

Thank you, James. We will try the bright light and perhaps flour to find this leak. I am sure it like you said . . . very small. It doesn’t take very long for it to accumulate under pressure. Fingers crossed! Thank you for your reply!

Tina

image001.jpg
image002.png

david grove

Apr 28, 2016, 12:43:24 PM4/28/16
to benetea...@googlegroups.com
Just a thought, but do you have the problem/leak with the pump off also?  It does not sound like this is the case.

if not then at least there is a strong probability that its on the pressured side of the supply line (e.g,,. somewhere down stream of the pump) and not between the tank and the pump.

I would try to follow the water line starting at the pump and concentrate on the "T" joints first as that is where there are manual connections and on my 332 the "T"s are just a hard plastic compared to a flexible house.  I personally have had one of these crack/break and had the same problem (it too was down stream of the pump).

When tracing the supply lines, leave the pump on and it will help you locate the leak.  Doesn't sound like it is a slow leak, but for slow leaks I wrap some toilet paper around the joints as it helps id if water is present very quickly.

Water tends to "walk" so where you see it, may not necessarily be where it is coming.  Leaks are insidious.

David

rvluc...@yahoo.com

Apr 28, 2016, 7:02:50 PM4/28/16
to Beneteau owners group
Remember B has a history of fresh water lines getting pin hole leaks on the pressured lines. We found the problem on the hot water lines coming off the HW tank.

Bob L
Latitudes/Chicago/oc321
From: david grove <temptre...@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2016 11:43:21 -0500

jbf...@comcast.net

Apr 28, 2016, 10:05:28 PM4/28/16
to benetea...@googlegroups.com
I had similar problems on our B46 which I could track down but could not reach to fix properly.  I minimized it with rescue tape and lived with it until we traded the boat in on a B48. I hope we don't encounter the same problem with this boat.

Sent from Xfinity Mobile App

Apr 29, 2016, 8:47:59 AM4/29/16
to benetea...@googlegroups.com
Leak is likely in the mess of water lines and tees connecting hoses the vanity in the head, shower, galley, and swim platform.

OUISAIL GMAIL

Apr 29, 2016, 10:05:21 AM4/29/16
to benetea...@googlegroups.com

We appreciate the suggestions and feedback. Will post our outcome when we get to the bottom of the issue. Thank you, Mike!

OUISAIL GMAIL

Apr 29, 2016, 10:06:36 AM4/29/16
to benetea...@googlegroups.com

I hope we don’t have to do this, but that’s a good solution!

OUISAIL GMAIL

Apr 29, 2016, 10:07:51 AM4/29/16
to benetea...@googlegroups.com

We will check there, Bob. Did you have to replace all of your lines, Bob? And did you purchase them through Beneteau or another source?

Ted Weitz

Apr 29, 2016, 9:44:46 PM4/29/16
to benetea...@googlegroups.com
Facing the same problem, I welcome the suggestions.

Ted Weitz
B323 Gossamer Wings

--
Ted Weitz
tm...@columbia.edu

Kidd, James

Apr 29, 2016, 10:20:39 PM4/29/16
to benetea...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ted
If I was over on your side of Long Island sound I'd give you a hand with this.
Once you remove all your cushions and have access to your lines you will find this quite quickly.
Start in the rear by your water heater where most of the lines congregate. Get a good flashlight and follow every single line when your system is pressurized and you will find water somewhere.

The plastic elbows that link the lines together are very fragile.
I've actually replaced two in the last couple of years.

Good luck! I'll be out your way after memorial day and if you don't find it by then let me know.

James

Sent from my iPhone

________________________________
From: david grove <temptre...@gmail.com<javascript:_e(%7B%7D,'cvml','temptre...@gmail.com');>>
Sender: benetea...@googlegroups.com<javascript:_e(%7B%7D,'cvml','benetea...@googlegroups.com');>
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2016 11:43:21 -0500
To: Benetea...@googlegroups.com<benetea...@googlegroups.com<javascript:_e(%7B%7D,'cvml','Benetea...@googlegroups.com%5Cx3cbenet...@googlegroups.com');>>
ReplyTo: benetea...@googlegroups.com<javascript:_e(%7B%7D,'cvml','benetea...@googlegroups.com');>

On Thu, Apr 28, 2016 at 10:23 AM, OUISAIL GMAIL <oui...@gmail.com<javascript:_e(%7B%7D,'cvml','oui...@gmail.com');>> wrote:
Good idea on the flour, Mark. It’s cycling more frequently than normal. We will give this a try. Fingers crossed!

Tina

How often does the water pump cycle when you are in your slip with the water pump on?

One option often discussed is sprinkling flour under the waterlines to help trace the leaks.

Mark & Suzanne Stillwell
S/V Dragonfly II
Beneteau 393
573.819.0436<tel:573.819.0436>

tm...@columbia.edu<mailto:tm...@columbia.edu>

--
Largest Beneteau group, over **1121
** members and growing.

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Beneteau Owners" group.

Ted Weitz

Apr 30, 2016, 9:44:08 PM4/30/16
to benetea...@googlegroups.com
Thanks James, I hope I will have it fixed by then but would be happy to see you if you are in the neighborhood.
contact denny.we...@gmail.com, or ume...@comcast.net  if you have a list management question

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Beneteau Owners" group.

Ted Weitz
tm...@columbia.edu

Joker460

May 1, 2016, 11:47:40 AM5/1/16
to Beneteau Owners
I had this problem last year. Every time I turned on the pump the bilge filled up.
Finally tracked it down to a crack in the cold water line from the starboard side manifold to the port galley sink.
The lines run through the grid which made it fun to replace since the conduit also runs along the grid.
Had to cut into the grid at two places and fish the new line using the old back to the sink.
Pictures attached.
If you don't see the leak it's probably in the grid.

Good Luck

OUISAIL GMAIL

May 1, 2016, 12:44:19 PM5/1/16
to benetea...@googlegroups.com

Great illustration! Thank you for what looks like what took a little time to resolve. Excellent backup information in case the leak isn’t obvious. Much appreciated!

Tina