Failed Shaft/Flywheel Splines

LngTmSlr

Jul 21, 2016, 12:16:30 AM7/21/16
to Beneteau Owners
I have a 1992 Beneteau First 310 with 1750 hours on a 2000 series Volvo Penta engine and transmission. While motoring steadily at a moderate speed, the boat suddenly slowed and there was a Rrrrrr sound. Long story short, the spline teeth in the flywheel adapter failed completely. The splines on the transmission shaft were worn down several thousandths and some were triangle shaped. A mechanic indicated this has been a common problem and there appear to be a couple upgrade kits that use non-metal flywheel spline gears. Does anyone have experience with this problem and best fix?

Schoen Fitzgerald

Jul 21, 2016, 1:22:08 AM7/21/16
to benetea...@googlegroups.com
Interested. Don't like hearing that. I also have a 92 F310

--
Largest Beneteau group, over **1121
** members and growing.

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Beneteau Owners" group.

LngTmSlr

Aug 5, 2016, 3:09:55 PM8/5/16
to Beneteau Owners
Update: The flywheel has a 4 Inch plate bolted to it called the drive plate that has the spline teeth that failed. It was clearly a wear issue and it damaged the transmission shaft splines as well. I ordered the replacement drive plate, Volvo Penta part #22562311, which is still metal but a modified design. The shaft damage to the transmission is causing replacement of the entire gear set. Parts seem to be available but are not cheap. The only way you can check for this problem is by pulling the transmission. I can't vouch for the mechanic's comment about how common the problem is. However, it is clear that Volvo Penta saw the need to redesign it.

Schoen Fitzgerald

Clyde Wood

Aug 6, 2016, 2:01:14 AM8/6/16
to benetea...@googlegroups.com

No. There were absolutely no mechanical warnings or noises.

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Beneteau Owners" group.

Clyde Wood

Aug 29, 2016, 2:08:56 PM8/29/16
to benetea...@googlegroups.com

The delay in update on this story is due to Volvo-Penta Marine 's inability after a month to provide an ETA for the new gear set. Further, the new drive plate kit they sent has plastic inserts for the bolts that are drilled oversize (bolts are 1/2 inch, plate is drilled at about 5/8 inch, inserts are drilled larger than 5/8 holes in plate). It has taken more than a month to get company HQ customer service to understand the question and provide an answer. (No answer yet) I'm not impressed with Volvo-Penta at this point. Local reps have been responsive but they are struggling to get HQ to act. Meanwhile, the boat is growing seaweed and the season is ending.

DAVID Fletcher

Aug 29, 2016, 2:12:35 PM8/29/16
to Beneteau Group
Who are you dealing with. Give Sheri Moon a call at Trans Atlantic Diesel.

Between the owner Nigel and Sheri I am positive they have the answer.

Just try em

Sent from my Samsung device
To post to this group, send email to Benetea...@googlegroups.com

contact denny.we...@gmail.com, or ume...@comcast.net if you have a list management question
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Beneteau Owners" group.