Beneteau 361 -Crack in the fiberglass under the fuel tank

Sonas

May 25, 2016, 8:34:07 AM5/25/16
to Beneteau Owners
I have had a slow leak since launching around 2 weeks ago.  Since water was pooling under the prop shaft I thought it might be the dripless shaft seal. I inserted the prescribed grease but the leak persisted.  My mechanic took a look at it, emptied the fuel tank and lifted it out to discover a crack in the fiber glass. It runs  a left to right crackand is about 4 inches long. It seems to be at a point somewhere around the middle to aft part of the trunk housing the prop shaft.

I am not sure how this could have occurred unless it was caused by the travel lift being positioned too far aft.  My concern now is how to repair it? Any thoughts about what needs to be done to fix this?

Thanks.

Mohammad Bayegan

May 25, 2016, 10:19:04 AM5/25/16
to benetea...@googlegroups.com
To do it right the whole shaft tub has to be replaced.
Attaching the picture of Shaft Tub.

Marengo  B 49
--
Largest Beneteau group, over **1121
** members and growing.

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Beneteau Owners" group.
ShaftTub.JPG

Sail...@aol.com

May 25, 2016, 11:10:52 AM5/25/16
to benetea...@googlegroups.com
Your glass guy will grind the crack from the outside and repair.  Then the glass guy will grind the interior and glass the new glass to new glass.  The entire crack gets removed.   I'd also call the insurance company too and start a claim.  They will call a surveyor.  Take lots of pictures.     As Marengo said the tube should be replaced too.

Sonas

May 25, 2016, 7:06:37 PM5/25/16
to Beneteau Owners
Thanks for the quick responses. The boat is in the water so the boatyard has put an epoxy putty over the crack and that stopped the leak. He's planning to put a fiberglass patch over the area and feels that will get me through the next few weeks until I can sort out a repair. It helps to know what the repair will entail. I spoke with a surveyor today who reinforced your responses. Contacting the insurance company was also a good idea although they are looking for a specific cause. I have no idea other than a possible misplace sling when it was hauled out in October.

More later.