Inshore ice vests

Bill

Aug 6, 2017, 5:55:03 PM8/6/17
to Benetea...@googlegroups.com
West marine has a deal on " inshore" life vests.
What is the difference between these life vests and off shore.
I realize they are probably for people on paddle boards and kayaks but why would they not be suitable for coastal sailing?
Bill

Sent from my iPad

Bill Jarvis

Aug 6, 2017, 6:58:16 PM8/6/17
to benetea...@googlegroups.com
Typically the "Offshore have built-in harnesses for you to connect with a tether to a kackline. Offshore I would not be in the cocpit without out one tethered.

Bill
--
Largest Beneteau group, over **1121
** members and growing.

wewag...@gmail.com

Aug 6, 2017, 9:14:35 PM8/6/17
to benetea...@googlegroups.com
Offshore for us is Martha's Vineyard and Nantucket. We wear life vests but no harness or tether.
Do you think it is necessary in those waters?

Sent from my iPhone

Ben Campbell

Aug 6, 2017, 9:44:42 PM8/6/17
to rvlucchetti via Beneteau Owners
I know this is completely unhelpful—but as a Texas sailor, I was really hoping “Ice Vests” was a thing :-)

Others have noted the harness. But I think, at least in the West Marine brand, inshore vs coastal vs offshore indicates different flotation levels, and perhaps different tradeoffs between wearability and keeping your face out of the water. Do they have the same USCG classification?

Ben Campbell
2009 Beneteau 31 “Dancing Days”
Lewisville Lake, TX

Bill Jarvis

Aug 7, 2017, 7:44:45 AM8/7/17
to benetea...@googlegroups.com
Probably not ....until you go overboard in the fog.