Furling line on Beneteau 331

Pattie Cunningham

Jun 9, 2018, 8:53:03 PM6/9/18
to Benetea...@googlegroups.com
Hi there

I have a 2002 Beneteau 331, and my furling line is frayed and needs to be replaced before I can go sailing again. Is that a standard size line diameter, that I can order, and should the length be twice the length of the boat? And who would be the best
vendor ?
Pattie C
Emerald Dragon

Sent from my iPad

DAVID FLETCHER

Jun 9, 2018, 8:56:59 PM6/9/18
to benetea...@googlegroups.com
Measure the old one.

Normally 3/8 “ double braid line.

New England sta-set is a good product.

Nothing special

Sent from my iPhone
> --
> Largest Beneteau group, over **1121
> ** members and growing.

> ---
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Beneteau Owners" group.

po...@aol.com

Jun 9, 2018, 8:59:04 PM6/9/18
to benetea...@googlegroups.com
I have 2003 331 it’s single 5/16 line about 45 ft.  And vender depends where your at.   Fisheries in Seattle is a good vender

Sent from AOL Mobile Mail
Largest Beneteau group, over **1121
** members and growing.

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Beneteau Owners" group.

jkr...@aol.com

Jun 9, 2018, 9:09:36 PM6/9/18
to benetea...@googlegroups.com
All correct.
Don’t use thicker line as your drum will clog. Paid the price for two sets of line because I didn’t measure.

Ron
B331 #227

Jun 9, 2018, 9:57:48 PM6/9/18
to Beneteau Owners
I use 5/16" StaySet on my 343.  As others have mentioned, just measure the length of your existing furling line or check in the owner's manual.  In my 343 manual, there is a chart with the lengths required for each line.

Kidd, James

Jun 11, 2018, 9:46:24 AM6/11/18
to benetea...@googlegroups.com

My 473 original furling line bound up quite often, but it was stiff and worn (kind of how I feel today).

I actually used a metric size that was slightly thicker but had a much higher strength (2X) so I could used my winch when my torn rotator cuff was acting up…I have never had a problem since,

So check out the strength of the type of line before buying.

And there is plenty of space in the furler drum.

Only word of caution…go at least 5’ longer than the Beneteau recommendation…

If I furl the sail ‘tightly’ I almost run out of line, and cant do the ‘hurricane wrap’..

James

James A Kidd

Key Account Manager

jk...@kaydon.com

james....@skf.com

617-448-2575 cell/office

231-755-4102 fax

www.kaydonbearings.com

--

Largest Beneteau group, over **1121
** members and growing.

DAVID FLETCHER

Jun 11, 2018, 4:51:59 PM6/11/18
to benetea...@googlegroups.com
Another option to make more space on the drum is to remove the inner core on the fist 15 feet at drum end of the line. It will wind flat on the drum and give a space for additional line. It is last few feet of the sail as it furls in. Strength is not an issue

Sent from my iPhone

On Jun 11, 2018, at 9:45 AM, Kidd, James <jk...@kaydon.com> wrote:

My 473 original furling line bound up quite often, but it was stiff and worn (kind of how I feel today).

I actually used a metric size that was slightly thicker but had a much higher strength (2X) so I could used my winch when my torn rotator cuff was acting up…I have never had a problem since,

So check out the strength of the type of line before buying.

And there is plenty of space in the furler drum.

Only word of caution…go at least 5’ longer than the Beneteau recommendation…

If I furl the sail ‘tightly’ I almost run out of line, and cant do the ‘hurricane wrap’..

James

James A Kidd

Key Account Manager

jk...@kaydon.com