O400 Teak seats caulking

drdanj

Nov 12, 2017, 3:00:59 PM11/12/17
to Beneteau Owners
Just closed on a '94 Oceanis 400. The teak cockpit seats need revarnishing and some of the black "stripes" need to be stripped out and refilled. I could do it the easy way, and replace just the loose bits, or go all in and do the whole thing. I don't like the dark existing varnish/stain (it's really dark) and I also don't really like the black stripes. I know it's likely a Sika or Boatlife product. I'd prefer to go the "teak and holly" look you typically find on cabin soles.

Aside from the sheer lunacy of doing all the of resanding everything and digging out all the old caulk, is there any reason not to use a lighter caulking material between the teak slats (assuming it exists)? I just don't want to miss something that everyone knows, some reason why they used black.

I'm really jazzed about this new to me O400.

Cheers

Dan

Denny Wertheimer

Nov 12, 2017, 4:07:47 PM11/12/17
to Beneteau Group
this is coming from a past beneteau owner. take it all off and put a fake teak( read no more working while i could be sailing).

--
Largest Beneteau group, over **1121
** members and growing.

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Beneteau Owners" group.

David Fletcher

Nov 12, 2017, 4:16:09 PM11/12/17
to Beneteau Group
Most of us do not use varnish on cockpit seata. Too slippery and it lifts on the edges where the chalking is.

You could re do them with a color other than black.  Each to there own.

Don't sand to much there arent too thick.

Lots of us, including me.like the  Semco teak finish. Some just oil and others use Cetol.

Perkins engine?

Fletch

Sent from my Samsung device

Brian W

Nov 12, 2017, 4:44:50 PM11/12/17
to benetea...@googlegroups.com
Just had a Cetol job done and it looks great...took 15 years off the appearance of our relatively new (to us) '87 first 405. It may get a bit slippery when wet, but we're adding a final coat with a little bit of very finely crushed nut shells.  BTW, the synthetic stuff can get really hot in the sun.
Cheers,
Brian

On Sun, Nov 12, 2017 at 3:00 PM, drdanj <drdan...@gmail.com> wrote:

--
Largest Beneteau group, over **1121
** members and growing.

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Beneteau Owners" group.

Treat the Earth well. It was not given to you by your parents. It was loaned to you by your children. - Native American Proverb

drdanj

Sail...@aol.com

Nov 12, 2017, 5:23:09 PM11/12/17
to benetea...@googlegroups.com
It's not caulking........OEM was rubber that is made by their supplier.   Homer Formby's stripper from Lowe's works Great and is easy to use.      Unless you have cushions out all the time, you'll like slip and fall from not leaving them natual.

WWW. SpinnakerPropertyMgt.com
WWW. GrayhawkLanding.com

Geste

Nov 12, 2017, 7:04:14 PM11/12/17
to Beneteau Owners
Welcome to the 2017 jazzed-by-a-new-O400 club!  Mine has a failing Ctol coating in the cockpit and I am just going to help them go to weather with some salt and scrubbing. Less slipperyness. When they really fail, I'll go with a synthetic replacement.

I was jazzed enough that I had the Perkins pulled and am watching installation of a new Yanmar (4JH57) security blanket for my retirement home :)

Jim

drdanj

Nov 13, 2017, 12:18:13 AM11/13/17
to Beneteau Owners
I don't think I can let mine go au naturel, just doesn't look cared for, but I will look into the synthetic materials. In the short run as I prioritize which things to do first, I'll likely just do a bit of sanding and varnish some bad bits as a stopgap. The teak/holly look of the synthetic would lighten it up visually and be less slip prone.

This boat has been well equipped, I'm going to have to learn more complex systems than on my old Catalina 36, she really was a great old boat but this is definitely a step up both in size and systems.

drdanj

drdanj

Nov 13, 2017, 12:25:05 AM11/13/17
to Beneteau Owners
I should have added this photo earlier. It's a corner of the teak showing worn away varnish and it's color. Is the standard color this dark?

On Sunday, November 12, 2017 at 12:00:59 PM UTC-8, drdanj wrote:
Teak seat.jpg

drdanj

jkr...@aol.com

Nov 13, 2017, 9:45:53 AM11/13/17
to benetea...@googlegroups.com
I just had to reapply a section of the teak that had come unglued due to water infiltration. The teak slats are 1/2” thick with a rabbit on one edge. The individual slats are stapled together with bronze staples underneath and then the caulking holds it all together. My local dealer advised using black silicon around the perimeter as the factory approved fix. It matches reasonably well, although it is brighter black than the old caulk.You have to be very lucky to get an entire panel off, otherwise the cost of a replacement panel from B is VERY expensive. My advise from sweating through it is deal with it in place as best you can.
Ron

Sent from AOL Mobile Mail
--
Largest Beneteau group, over **1121
** members and growing.

jkr...@aol.com

Nov 13, 2017, 9:54:35 AM11/13/17
to benetea...@googlegroups.com
Correction !
I should have said the teak is 1/4” thick NOT 1/2” thick. In other words thin !

David Fletcher

Nov 13, 2017, 10:08:25 AM11/13/17
to Beneteau Group
I recall the width us arohnd 1 3/8 .

Beneteau sell individual pieces to make repairs.

On my 400 i had a bear of time to reattach a corner .

Fletch

Sent from my Samsung device

Nov 13, 2017, 11:04:55 AM11/13/17
to Beneteau Owners
Do you get parts and such from the Beneteau web site where you have to sign up, give your boat hull # and so on? I've done that but gotten no reply from them.

David Fletcher

Nov 13, 2017, 2:14:23 PM11/13/17
to Beneteau Group
You will get a reply. It takes a few days.

Online from Beneteau  the parts get 15 oercent off of the on line prices.

Fletch

Sent from my Samsung device

Nov 13, 2017, 5:09:24 PM11/13/17
to benetea...@googlegroups.com
I fully agree that Semco is the best choice
It looks great, can be reapplied quickly and is not slippery when wet. It also doesn’t give that orange look that Cetol will.
You do need to reapply a code every few months but that takes 15 minutes

Comes in a few colors, from clear to brown. Our use brown as it adds more color to the cheek. have use this knob for seven years.

Sent from my iPhone

On Nov 12, 2017, at 4:16 PM, David Fletcher <davidcf...@rogers.com<mailto:davidcf...@rogers.com>> wrote:

Most of us do not use varnish on cockpit seata. Too slippery and it lifts on the edges where the chalking is.

You could re do them with a color other than black. Each to there own.

Don't sand to much there arent too thick.

Lots of us, including me.like the Semco teak finish. Some just oil and others use Cetol.

Perkins engine?

Fletch

Sent from my Samsung device

Bill

Nov 13, 2017, 5:18:34 PM11/13/17
to benetea...@googlegroups.com
How do you get Beneteau parts online with reduced prices.

Sent from my iPad

David Fletcher

Nov 13, 2017, 6:03:16 PM11/13/17
to Beneteau Group
The prices on the on line system are subject to a fifteen percent discount when you check out.

If you order over the phone you will not receive the 15 points.

So some of their prices are pretty good by example I have not found Lewmar hatches or portlights any less expensive at a normal outlet.

Sure there are deals on Ebay etc however one is never sure of the product

Some of their stuff is crazy in price.

Cheers