Advice

DAVID Fletcher

Jul 28, 2017, 10:41:56 PM7/28/17
to Beneteau Group

I am in the final throws of making an offer to purchase a Beneteau  473 which has been laid up for an extended period.

She has not been sailed since 2011. The boat was put on the hard in 2011. Relaunched in 2013 with both the engine and gen set operated and oil changed etc. The owner has had health issues.

I am certain that some systems will have taken the toll of been not operated for some time.

I have had a pre offer inspection done by a Sam surveyor however there is no 12 power to check much.

I believe the owner put her to bed with the best of intentions however his circumstances turned for the worse.

I plan to have a full survey performed however perhaps the group might have some experience in which systems might be the most effected by a long lay up in the sub tropics.

I am concerned about thru hulls and valves, refrigeration , ac   units  and the chance of a lighting strike.

I like the boat boat, her equipment however the long lay up has me more than a touch bit nervous.

Any thoughts are appreciated

Fletch

Sent from my Samsung device

Mohammad Bayegan

Jul 29, 2017, 1:48:10 AM7/29/17
to benetea...@googlegroups.com
I would check all thru hulls and valves, the A/C Units probably is shut since the salt water just been setting there.  All batteries are gone, Water heater all the sea water strainer, heat exchanger on main and gen set engine.  The windlass motor.
All electric winches motors and switches.
Marengo B 49

Largest Beneteau group, over **1121
** members and growing.

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Beneteau Owners" group.

Rick L

Jul 29, 2017, 7:02:39 AM7/29/17
to Beneteau Owners

Rick L

Jul 29, 2017, 7:04:30 AM7/29/17
to Beneteau Owners
Bring along a standard 12V car battery to connect up in order to check instruments.  Should also allow you to run charger and check frig..

Brian W

Jul 29, 2017, 12:02:25 PM7/29/17
to benetea...@googlegroups.com
Hi Fletch,
Those are beautiful boats...good luck with the deal. When you said sub-tropics is that outside the US? If so, make sure the boat complies with all US rules and regs, especially overboard discharge (need holding tanks that allow pump outs). We recently bought a "legacy" First 405 that was also up on the hard for a couple years (similar situation as what you describe). We did have a thru-hull fail the first time we put the boat in. Ended up replacing 4 thru-hulls that were dicey. Running rigging needed replacement (as well as anchor chain/rode). Only other issue due to lack of use was the frig - it had to be recharged and now works like a champ. We did have a full survey, including inspection of the entire rig/mast/ etc. All other changes were based on personal preference.
Cheers,
Brian

--
Largest Beneteau group, over **1121
** members and growing.

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Beneteau Owners" group.

Treat the Earth well. It was not given to you by your parents. It was loaned to you by your children. - Native American Proverb

DAVID Fletcher

Jul 29, 2017, 2:19:48 PM7/29/17
to Beneteau Group
Thanks

The boat came from the USA and was built in Marion.

It is in the windward islands south of the Huricanne zone.

I suspect there will be issues

Fletch

Sent from my Samsung device

contact denny.we...@gmail.com, or ume...@comcast.net if you have a list management question
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Beneteau Owners" group.

Joe Sircely

Jul 29, 2017, 5:03:36 PM7/29/17
to benetea...@googlegroups.com
And All pumps and electronics.
I would treat it like a lightning strike with a checklist and exercise all systems.

Joe Sircely