Fwd: ALERT: Support Safer Bicycling and Walking

kw...@roadrunner.com

Mar 24, 2017, 12:12:51 PM3/24/17
to belfastbi...@googlegroups.com

Last year was one of the deadliest years in recent history for Maine bicyclists and pedestrians. And more often than not, it's our most vulnerable citizens - children, the elderly, and people with disabilities - who pay the ultimate price.

As the statewide voice of cyclists and pedestrians, the Bicycle Coalition of Maine works to protect the rights and the lives of Mainers who ride or walk. That's why we've been working with members of the Maine Legislature to develop a bill that will help save lives.

Now we need your help to get that bill enacted into law.
LD 1130, an Act to Provide Traffic Safety Education in Maine Schools, will ensure that all school children from grade two on receive one hour of age-appropriate instruction each year about how to use Maine's roadways safely. This legislation will help keep our children safe now, when they're walking or biking to or from school, home or a friend's house, and in the future: children who've grown up learning the rules of the road will be safer around pedestrians and cyclists when they get behind the wheel as adults.

Here's what you can do to help pass this important piece of legislation:
The legislators listed below are members of the Committee on Education and Cultural Affairs. If you live in one of these communities, please take a moment to click on your legislator's name to let them know you support the Traffic Safety Education Act. If you don't live in a community represented by one of the committee members, pick the one that's closest to you; your input is important! We've included some sample language, but you can always express your support in your own words.

Ellsworth:
Calais:
Cape Elizabeth:
Sen. Rebecca Millett
Fort Fairfield:
Rep. David McCrea
Presque Isle:
Rep. Harold Stewart

Burlington:
Rep. Beth Turner

Sample Language
Maine roads are for everyone, regardless of whether they're walking, riding a bicycle or driving a car. LD 1130, the Traffic Safety Education Act, will help save lives because children who grow up learning the rules of the road will be safer around pedestrians and bicyclists when they get behind the wheel themselves. The Traffic Safety Education Act is very low-cost, and it won't add to our schools' graduation requirements. Please vote for LD 1130, an Act to Provide Traffic Safety Education in Maine Schools.

In addition, please take a moment to visit our web site and sign up for legislative alerts so you can stay up to date on the bill's progress and hear about additional opportunities to help ensure its passage.

Now is the time to show the strength of our Coalition. One hour a year to save lives is not too much to ask.

Thank you in advance for your support!

Executive Director

STAY IN TOUCH
Like us on Facebook   Follow us on Twitter
PO Box 15272 Portland, ME - 207.623.4511
BICYCLE COALITION OF MAINE, PO Box 15272, Portland, ME 04112
Sent by na...@bikemaine.org in collaboration with
Constant Contact
ALERT: Support Safer Bicycling and Walking