beer church. sunday 12/8. noon. gingerbread beer.

Eric Stein

Dec 4, 2013, 12:51:28 AM12/4/13
to beer-chur...@googlegroups.com, Pumping Station One
I'm the brewmaster for this week. Hit it.

beer boil

If you have recipe suggestions on how to achieve my aims, let me know. Usual beer tasting first.

Eric

Brittany Zimmerman

Dec 4, 2013, 1:18:55 AM12/4/13
to beer-chur...@googlegroups.com

1000X yes! It's about time....

beerboil.gif

Alfredo Castil

Dec 4, 2013, 1:52:03 AM12/4/13
to beer-chur...@googlegroups.com
Gaaaah! I'm booked that day, but I'm glad it's back.

On Dec 4, 2013, at 12:18 AM, Brittany Zimmerman <brizim...@gmail.com> wrote:

1000X yes! It's about time....

On Dec 3, 2013 11:51 PM, "Eric Stein" <to...@des.truct.org> wrote:
I'm the brewmaster for this week. Hit it.

<beerboil.gif>

If you have recipe suggestions on how to achieve my aims, let me know. Usual beer tasting first.

Eric

Eric Stein

Dec 5, 2013, 10:58:23 PM12/5/13
to beer-chur...@googlegroups.com
Donna and I did a bit of research and this is the recipe that pops up:

http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/pages/community/blog/show?title=beer-recipe-of-the-week-gingerbread-ale

Anyone got thoughts?

Eric

Christa Dahman

Dec 5, 2013, 11:02:16 PM12/5/13
to beer-chur...@googlegroups.com
I wonder what adding molasses would be like. I have a soft spot for molasses.

Ryan Pierce

Dec 5, 2013, 11:12:58 PM12/5/13
to beer-chur...@googlegroups.com
Depends how fermentable molasses is. Adding sugars can have an opposite effect: more alcoholic and more dry. Definitely worth researching though.

Christa Dahman

Dec 5, 2013, 11:19:15 PM12/5/13
to beer-chur...@googlegroups.com
It's about 75% sugar, but it has its own bitter flavors that are part of the allure. Molasses is a strong contributor to the flavor of most gingerbreads.

Christa Dahman

Dec 5, 2013, 11:19:15 PM12/5/13
to beer-chur...@googlegroups.com

Ryan Pierce

Dec 6, 2013, 12:27:50 AM12/6/13
to beer-chur...@googlegroups.com
Simple mash, looks straightforward in terms of process. In terms of ingredients, the malts look pretty specific. You sure B&G has them?

70F ferment temp may be a bit hard. We have no way of heating the fermenting chamber and I imagine shop temp is <70F. Well, I might be able to help. I can bring in a small 100W electric heater and set it up in the fermentation chamber for the winter. It looks like this and should get about 10 giga hashes per second:

41dO5oOOX+L._SX300_.jpg

Eric Stein

Dec 6, 2013, 1:38:33 AM12/6/13
to beer-chur...@googlegroups.com
Nice.

Eric Stein

Dec 6, 2013, 1:39:03 AM12/6/13
to beer-chur...@googlegroups.com
Let's do it. I've put in brown sugar in a beer before.

Ryan Pierce

Dec 6, 2013, 11:45:49 AM12/6/13
to beer-chur...@googlegroups.com
So can we get another Ethernet drop into the beer cabinet for my, uhhhh, space heater?