Re: [Beer Church] Digest for beer-church-chicago@googlegroups.com - 3 updates in 1 topic

David Fell

May 13, 2014, 5:45:47 AM5/13/14
to beer-chur...@googlegroups.com
I attended Dark Lord Day in 2012 and am still working my way through the case I bought. Yummy stuff.

On Mon, May 12, 2014 at 9:32 PM, <beer-chur...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

Group: http://groups.google.com/group/beer-church-chicago/topics

    Skunkmere Abel <skun...@gmail.com> May 11 08:19PM -0700

    Has anyone tried the clone recipes out there?

    Ryan Pierce <rdpi...@pobox.com> May 12 07:37AM -0500

    OK, I am hooked. A bottle of Dark Lord 2013 made its way to the TOOOL meeting, and I had a chance to sample some. Oh my....

    I've rinsed the empty bottle and placed it on the fermenter. I figure, as Eastern Orthodox Beer Pope, we need a religious icon for veneration. ;-)

    I've researched recipes. You either need a lot of grain (like 35+ lbs!), or do a partial mash and use malt extract. I have a second 10 gallon mash tun that I can bring in. We'd probably need to run both at once for this. Or convert one of the brewery kegs with a false bottom.

    I'm not sure what to do for yeast. It seems Wyeast had some super high gravity beer yeasts, but these appear to be limited edition and are gone. I'd considered talking to Bioguy about culturing from a bottle of Dark Lord, but it is hit or miss on whether the yeast, if any, in the bottle is the same yeast originally used to ferment.

    I'd like to get back into brewing, but I think we first need to figure out what we are doing with the kegerator and bar. We need a proper Beer Altar to celebrate the Holy Eucharist.

    "Justin T. Conroy" <jus...@conroy.in> May 12 03:11PM -0500

    With regards to the bar/kegerator. I think both Toba and Bioguy tried
    calling a place that said they would call them back and never did. So we're
    still on the lookout for purchasing a chest freezer that will fit the kegs
    standing upright.

    Details copied from Toba in case anyone wants to JFDI. Make sure to email
    the list if you find something so we don't end up buying 2 on accident.

    > Ask for chest freezer fit within dimensions (exterior) 58w x 36h x 24d.
    > would be nice if a 16.5" cylinder 29.5" tall fit inside with the lid
    closed
    > is important..

    > We want to put it under the bar. That's the dimensions we need to fit
    > kegs in it and have it fit under the bar.

    On Mon, May 12, 2014 at 7:37 AM, Ryan Pierce <rdpi...@pobox.com> wrote:

David Fell
twitter: DavidFell