GrowlerWerks uKeg

Ryan Pierce

Nov 21, 2014, 10:40:10 PM11/21/14
to beer-chur...@googlegroups.com
Dearly Beloved Brethren in Barley,

The following came to my attention today, which I believe will revolutionize the Beer Church religion. Who needs a golden calf when you can have a copper plated keg?

Made by the people at http://growlerwerks.com/

We've been optimizing our brewing system for kegged draft beer and forced carbonation. And we've been using a Blichmann Beer Gun to reserve a few bottles for the brewmaster's portion of a brew. The resulting beer is at least protected from oxidation, but it loses most of its carbonation. What's the point of brewing that lovely draft stout if you can't enjoy it at home with the creamy head you designed for it? And I don't know about you, but setting up a home kegerator just isn't an option for me.

Enter the uKeg growler. This can be filled with the Beer Gun, but it has its own CO2 cartridge to pressurize it, a draft spout for pulling pints, and it is a thermos so you can bring it to parties, sports games, etc. and it will still be cold.

The new Beer Cathedral system will increase our capacity from 5 to 10 gallon batches, so there shouldn't be a problem with the brewmaster taking home 64 or 128 oz of brew and having ample amounts to share for the space's draft system. I'd suggest any brewmaster or aspiring brewmaster (yes, we do train Beer Clergy, talk to us) get one.

And, outside of Beer Church, you can always take one to any microbrewery that fills growlers. That would be a welcome thing to bring to one of our Beer Church Sunday worship services.

Yours in Barley,
Ryan
Beer Pope (Eastern Orthodox)

Eric Stein

Nov 22, 2014, 3:37:01 PM11/22/14
to beer-chur...@googlegroups.com
I saw this! It looks pretty cool.

I have a DrinkTank from drinktanks.com that I haven't used yet specifically because it doesn't carbonate. It doesn't add much to the homebrew serving experience except for insulation so it stays cold while on picnics or other trips... but it looks like they have a carbonation and serving cap now so I just ordered it. Unfortunately, it won't come in for a bit as it's backordered until early december, but I'll be sure to bring it to beer church when it does come.

Eric