Mead church!

Eric Stein

Nov 16, 2014, 12:23:02 AM11/16/14
to beer-chur...@googlegroups.com
We'll meet at 12:30PM to taste some beers (please bring anything out of
the ordinary that you have, or anything you've made!) and discuss the
science and practice of making fermented alcoholic beverages.

Then we'll make a short shopping excursion the Brew & Grow and Jewel to
purchase honey, yeast, and flavorants such as herbs, spices, and fruits.

Each person or group who would like to make their own mead can purchase
a 1 gallon glass jug and the appropriate bubble trap, and ingredients.
Generally, around 2.8 to 3 pounds of honey would be used in a 1 gallon
batch.

You'll be free to make whatever flavor you'd like at whatever strength
you'd like. If you make a normal strength mead (around 17% alcohol) you
will want to let the mead age. IF you make a weaker mead, you can drink
it sooner.

Everyone will bring their mead home to ferment.

Justin T. Conroy

Nov 16, 2014, 8:01:37 PM11/16/14
to beer-chur...@googlegroups.com
I got a little creative on the wiki page for this one:
https://wiki.pumpingstationone.org/Mead_2014.04

There's a heading each individual batch of mead (named after the
person/people who made it). Add your details into it if you can.

Eric Stein

Nov 22, 2014, 3:22:32 PM11/22/14
to beer-chur...@googlegroups.com
Our mead is bubbling along really nicely! It's a purplish pink color
(from all those berries) and still bubbling like mad today. Ours took
about a day to really start bubbling - last Sunday I didn't really see
any bubbles at all, I guess it took a bit to take off. The trap is
totally clean, no blow through or mess. I'm not sure when to expect it
to slow down, but it sure doesn't seem like it's going to be anytime soon.

How are all y'alls meads going?

Eric

Justin T. Conroy

Nov 22, 2014, 11:50:36 PM11/22/14
to beer-chur...@googlegroups.com
Mines bubblin'. It's very much honey colored, as should be expected. I
only used extracts to flavor it.

--
Justin T. Conroy

Ryan Pierce

Nov 23, 2014, 12:30:26 PM11/23/14
to beer-chur...@googlegroups.com
For my mead, I filled the jug up a lot higher than most, and don't have a mess in the trap from fermentation. (But the trap became a fruit fly trap.)

Likewise, it took a day to start bubbling, but then again the yeast first multiply and produce energy by respiration before the mead must becomes anaerobic and they switch over to fermentation. Seriously massive bubbling at first, where I could just see the dissolved bubbles streaming up. Now, less bubbling, but it is still going.

Thanks, guys, for the great idea.