Beer Church Status and Fermenter Repair: Help Wanted

Ryan Pierce

Jun 11, 2017, 10:27:39 AM6/11/17
to beer-chur...@googlegroups.com
I sent the following to the PS:One members list, but I realized that
people involved in Beer Church might have exited or stopped following
that list, so I'm sending it here.

So, Beer Church. It's not dead. It's been in a holding pattern. None of
the old crew wanted to brew in the space because of the uncertainty
about what was going to happen. Is the equipment staying where it is? Is
it moving to the loading dock? Or somewhere else? What's up with the
fermentation chamber? What's happening to the kitchen?

So we've got to change that. My plan to restart Beer Church:

* The fermenting chamber is too darned big, is grossly inefficient for
space utilization, and currently doesn't work.
* The loading dock isn't going to work for fermentation. No HVAC. In the
winter, beer will freeze.
* We will rebuild the fermenting chamber, in its current position
[clarification: the west side of the kitchen, not necessarily that
wall], but make it smaller. Nowhere near as deep, as tall, or as long.
It just needs to be able to hold a row of buckets and carboys, and have
room for a racking cane to be inserted.
* The space above it will then be easily accessible for storage, and/or
as a possible work surface.
* I'd first like help troubleshooting the electronics around the air
conditioner. Something may be up with the AC unit itself, or the
Raspberry Pi that triggers it.
* If the AC is beyond repair, we snag another off of Craigslist.
* I spoke with Andrew. He has some plans for reducing the size of the
fermenting chamber. We implement these, once we know we can chill it. I
also think we need interior ducting as the air flow seemed to cause
strange temperature behavior.
* We inventory stuff and organize. Every last pot and pan can't get its
own page and label, but we should document this on the wiki with
pictures and who owns what.
* We have a brew day soon to get the interest back up again, and then
start running brewing authorizations.

Regards,
Ryan
Beer Pope (Eastern Orthodox)

Eric Stein

Jun 11, 2017, 2:42:02 PM6/11/17
to beer-chur...@googlegroups.com
Hear hear! Shall we meet at the space some evening this week to get started?

Eric

Ryan Pierce

Jun 11, 2017, 4:31:26 PM6/11/17
to beer-chur...@googlegroups.com
I am so glad to hear from my fellow Beer Pope! I was afraid you had
shuffled off this inebriated coil, and we were going to have to go
through the process of smashing your ring, holding a conclave (which
would be hard as I don't think we've ordained any Beer Cardinals), etc.
I don't have much experience in such matters, but there's a Dan Brown
novel about it....

My availability next week:

* Tuesday after the member meeting
* Friday

Thoughts?

Ryan

Sevin Straus

Jun 12, 2017, 11:45:30 AM6/12/17
to Beer Church: Chicago
I would be up for this, I could do Friday.

I am also growing hops for the first time this year.  So we may have a boatload, or whatever 5 plants produce, of Cascade hops this fall.

Eric Stein

Jun 12, 2017, 5:31:03 PM6/12/17
to beer-chur...@googlegroups.com
I have another event tomorrow night that runs from 5:30 to 8, but I
intend to head to PS1 afterward. I will let you know tomorrow whether
I'm definitely going to be there.

Eric

Ryan Pierce

Jun 12, 2017, 6:49:35 PM6/12/17
to beer-chur...@googlegroups.com, Eric Stein
I'd like to commit to a firm time for this so we can get the word out. If you're not sure, and we're just a day away, I'd rather go for a later time.

How about Friday, 6:30 at the Chief's for planning / imbibing, then we can come back to the space for testing / implementation?

Ryan

Kevin G

Jun 12, 2017, 9:53:19 PM6/12/17
to beer-chur...@googlegroups.com
Can't make it to a meeting on Friday. However, I can donate a portable AC unit or a window unit as I have too many of them. Let me know if this would be helpful.

Eric Stein

Jun 12, 2017, 9:59:28 PM6/12/17
to beer-chur...@googlegroups.com
I can't commit to a firm time tomorrow or Friday.

Eric
To post to this group, send email to beer-chur...@googlegroups.com.

Ryan Pierce

Jun 13, 2017, 8:17:53 AM6/13/17
to beer-chur...@googlegroups.com, Eric Stein
Ok, we need a firm time. If you can make it, great.

6:30 at Chief O'Neill's on Friday. I'll be wearing a Hawaiian shirt. After that, we will be coming back to the space.

Ryan

Ryan Pierce

Jun 13, 2017, 8:18:57 AM6/13/17
to beer-chur...@googlegroups.com, Kevin G
Thanks! Could you please describe the portable AC unit?

Ryan

Sevin Straus

Jun 13, 2017, 10:17:58 AM6/13/17
to Beer Church: Chicago, to...@des.truct.org
I will see you there.

I will try to find a loud shirt.

Ryan Pierce

Jun 16, 2017, 7:41:32 PM6/16/17
to Sevin Straus, Beer Church: Chicago, to...@des.truct.org
I'm here. Table by the bar. The shirt is loud.

Ryan