Keg Labels

Justin T. Conroy

Sep 16, 2016, 12:28:26 AM9/16/16
to beer-chur...@googlegroups.com
Someone at beer church a few months ago clued me into Grog Tag (http://www.grogtag.com/) for making labels for homebrew stuff (I can't remember just now who it was. I'll probably be able to remember once I look back at the wiki and see who participated in recent brews. If whoever it was is on the mailing list, speak now or forever hold your peace).

Since then, I've been wanting to make some nice new labels for the kegs. The current lables are slowly disintegrating. Supposedly these grog tag labels are meant to survive through wash cycles. Plus we can design them however we want. Here's the design I came up with:

That's sized based off of a template provided by Grog Tag. Each one would include the proper equipment label. Those big white spaces are meant for us to write in information in crayon or grease pencil or something for each brew. It would really help with the whole "remembering what the hell we put in that keg" problem we seem to have. Actually, looking at their site now, it seems the keg labels can even take dry erase markers: http://support.grogtag.com/support/solutions/articles/1000021943-can-i-write-on-grogtag-products-

What do y'all think? Is this a good design? Good choice of labels?

--
Justin T. Conroy
Beer Church Alter Boy

Ryan Pierce

Sep 16, 2016, 4:41:21 PM9/16/16
to beer-chur...@googlegroups.com, Justin T. Conroy
I like. Now I need to figure out how to use my papal ring to give it a seal of approval....

My only suggestion: the last box could read IG / ABV as initial gravity is one of the most critical numbers, and someone can write in two numbers separated by a dash, e.g. "1.045 / 5.1%"

On the subject of kegs, does anyone know what happened to Lark Dord? It's a bit over a year old but that's the typical improvement period for the Three Floyds variety....

Ryan

P.S. For anyone who didn't see on the main list, I'm giving a talk to physics instrumentation techs next week at the EPICS conference on the CNC beer system. It's the "Kegnote Address" of course....

Justin T. Conroy

Sep 16, 2016, 6:35:56 PM9/16/16
to Ryan Pierce, beer-chur...@googlegroups.com
IG / ABV is a good idea. I'll change it to say that.

I'm not sure if there's any of the Lark Dord left. I kind of lost track of what was going on behind the bar for a while since there was a bit of a lull in beers to keg. But someone did find a keg in that corner of the room when moving stuff that might have been the Lark Dord. I don't remember what keg number it was, but I can try to figure it out when I'm at the space tomorrow.

Justin T. Conroy

Sep 17, 2016, 11:35:28 PM9/17/16
to Ryan Pierce, beer-chur...@googlegroups.com
So, as for that keg I mentioned earlier. The label is so deteriorated that I can't even figure out which keg it is. Just goes to show how much we need the waterproof labels :-P

Through process of elimination though I was able to figure out that it was Keg 5. This tells me absolutely nothing about what beer is in there since we neglected to update the wiki. Oh well. If I had to guess, I would say it's probably what remains of the Lark Dord and it's probably at least half full still.

Greg and I moved the bar to lounge 2.0 today. The kegerator and tap system aren't quite reassembled yet. Once I get it put back together, we can try tapping keg 5 to see what's in it.

Ryan Pierce

Sep 18, 2016, 12:03:40 AM9/18/16
to beer-chur...@googlegroups.com
Lark Dord is a coffee stout with a mouth feel of motor oil and what's probably a 12% alcohol kick. You couldn't mistake it for anything else. ;-)

Ryan