Behavior difference between 4.5.1 and 4.2.1

manis...@me.com

Jan 14, 2017, 12:13:33 PM1/14/17
to beautifulsoup
Hi,

I am having trouble understanding why a complex soup.select() statement works on one vagrant machine and not the other.
The statement syntax is scraping reddit:
  • soup.select("#siteTable div[data-context='listing']")
I am using Python 2.7
The main difference I can see is in versions.
  • The environment that works has 4.5.1 installed, and was installed using pip
  • The version that is failing has version 4.2.1 and was installed using apt-get
Is version the most likely culprit here? Anyone know how to ensure the latest version gets installed using apt-get?

Thanks!