n00b having trouble installing beautifulsoup4 --- Windows7, python 3.2.3

Daniel Hillman

Nov 27, 2012, 11:32:41 PM11/27/12
to beauti...@googlegroups.com
Sorry, can someone take me step by step. I've tried everything from running the setup file, to using the command prompt and typing "python beautifulsoup4-4.1.3 install", to DLing the bs4 folder of someone who had already installed it and putting it in my Python32 lib directory, and nothing worked. There should be a video tutorial for this!!!! Help the n00bs!

Daniel Hillman

Nov 28, 2012, 12:50:55 AM11/28/12
to beauti...@googlegroups.com
Okay, just figured it out so here is the process:

  1. Use WinZip (or some other program) to decompress the BeautifulSoup file
  2. Place the decompressed folder under C:\Users\(whatever your username is here)
  3. Run cmd prompt
  4. Type in: cd beautifulsoup4-4.1.3
  5. To install, DO NOT type: python setup.py install. INSTEAD just type: setup.py install
  6. The prompt will write the bs4 file to your python lib directory (for me it was sent to the site-packages folder
  7. To access in the python shell: from bs4 import BeautifulSoup
AND THERE YA GO!

Leonard Richardson

Nov 28, 2012, 7:17:35 AM11/28/12
to beauti...@googlegroups.com
Can someone who uses Windows confirm these steps? I would like to get
some Windows installation instructions in the documentation because it
seems to come up a lot and Beautiful Soup is often the first Python
library someone installs.

Leonard
> --
> For more options, visit this group at
> http://groups.google.com/group/beautifulsoup?hl=en.

Maverick

Dec 5, 2012, 8:58:03 AM12/5/12
to beauti...@googlegroups.com
Most of the time when python is installed on Windows it doesn't add
python onto the env path, so you can't actually type in `python setup.py
install`.

I was testing some script that I wrote in python with beautifulsoup and
had to add python to my env path. I wrote that on my blog[0] on how to
add python to your env path, perhaps, that could help someone.

[0]: http://blog.mavjs.org/2012/04/getting-python-libraries-installed.html

--
Kind Regards,
Maverick

signature.asc

Sam Wainford

Apr 11, 2015, 5:50:02 AM4/11/15
to beauti...@googlegroups.com
I got it working and posted the entire step-by-step process here: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/beautifulsoup/4zv6xibc3d0

On Wednesday, May 22, 2013 at 10:39:59 PM UTC-4, Jeff van Geete wrote:
sorry - where is "the beautiful soup file" located?