"Could not find a proper state to initialise" error

cj...@ucsc.edu

Jun 5, 2014, 5:49:44 PM6/5/14
to beast...@googlegroups.com
Dear Remco (and others),

I am trying to estimate divergence time across my phylogeny using 8 fossil constraints in Beast 2.1.3, but I always end with this error:

java.lang.Exception: Could not find a proper state to initialise. Perhaps try another seed.
at beast.core.MCMC.run(Unknown Source)
at beast.app.BeastMCMC.run(Unknown Source)
at beast.app.beastapp.BeastMain.<init>(Unknown Source)
at beast.app.beastapp.BeastMain.main(Unknown Source)
at apple.launcher.LaunchRunner.run(LaunchRunner.java:116)
at apple.launcher.LaunchRunner.callMain(LaunchRunner.java:51)
at apple.launcher.JavaApplicationLauncher.launch(JavaApplicationLauncher.java:52)

Any ideas as why I receive this error? I've attached my xml file if you would like to take a look.

Thanks for your help!
Edit3.2_beast.xml

Remco Bouckaert

Jun 5, 2014, 7:54:22 PM6/5/14
to beast...@googlegroups.com
To fix this, set the proportion invariant to a number in between zero and one.

See https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups=#!topic/beast-users/pLvauCDhwSM

Remco