Divergence Dating Tutorial error: Fatal exception: Could not find a proper state to initialise. Perhaps try another seed

Rachael Wade

Nov 4, 2016, 6:02:46 AM11/4/16
to beast-users
I am new to BEAST and am trying to work my way through the tutorials. However, I am having a hard timing getting BEAST to execute with the BEAUTi output from the Divergence Dating Tutorial. I redid it three times and tried different seeds on each attempt and still could not get it to work. Here is the output:

Start likelihood: -Infinity after 10 initialisation attempts
Fatal exception: Could not find a proper state to initialise. Perhaps try another seed.
d.2ndpos) = NaN (was NaN)  **
P(treeLikelihood.3rdpos) = NaN (was NaN)  **
java.lang.RuntimeException: Could not find a proper state to initialise. Perhaps try another seed.
at beast.core.MCMC.run(Unknown Source)
at beast.app.BeastMCMC.run(Unknown Source)
at beast.app.beastapp.BeastMain.<init>(Unknown Source)
at beast.app.beastapp.BeastMain.main(Unknown Source)
at beast.app.beastapp.BeastLauncher.main(Unknown Source)
Fatal exception: Could not find a proper state to initialise. Perhaps try another seed.

BEAST has terminated with an error. Please select QUIT from the menu.

I appreciate any advice or help you can provide!