Release 0.2.5 NullPointerException doing describe-configuration-options

sdrach

Feb 15, 2012, 7:34:43 PM2/15/12
to beanstalker-users
I may not be doing things properly since I'm new at BeanStalker and
new at understanding mojos. If I try the command

mvn beanstalk:describe-configuration-options

I get a NullPointerException

[INFO] environmentName / environmentId not defined. Lets try to get
one, shall we?
[INFO] Assigning a environment named default
[WARNING] FAILURE
java.lang.NullPointerException
at
com.amazonaws.services.elasticbeanstalk.model.DescribeConfigurationOptionsRequest.withOptions(DescribeConfigurationOptionsRequest.java:
332)
at
br.com.ingenieux.mojo.beanstalk.config.DescribeConfigurationOptionsMojo.executeInternal(DescribeConfigurationOptionsMojo.java:
59)
at
br.com.ingenieux.mojo.beanstalk.AbstractBeanstalkMojo.execute(AbstractBeanstalkMojo.java:
70)

Looking in the source to aws DescribeConfigurationsOptionsRequest, I
can sell if a null argument is passed in, the exceptions occurs here:

public DescribeConfigurationOptionsRequest
withOptions(OptionSpecification... options) {
if (getOptions() == null) setOptions(new
java.util.ArrayList<OptionSpecification>(options.length));

Since options is null, options.length causes the exception

Then looking in DescribeConfigurationOptionsMojo, I see

/**
52 * Option Specifications
53 *
54 * @parameter
55 */
56 OptionSpecification[] optionSpecifications;
57
58 protected Object executeInternal() throws MojoExecutionException,
59 MojoFailureException {
60 DescribeConfigurationOptionsRequest req = new
DescribeConfigurationOptionsRequest()//
61 .withApplicationName(this.applicationName)//
62 .withEnvironmentName(environmentName)//
63 .withOptions(optionSpecifications)//
64 .withSolutionStackName(solutionStack)//
65 .withTemplateName(templateName)//
66 ;

I don't think optionSpecifications is initialized. Or I don't
understand mojos. It seems to me the @parameter annotation causes
some sort of dependency injection. Since it's not defined,
optionSpecifications is null.

Aldrin Leal

Feb 16, 2012, 2:44:53 PM2/16/12
to beanstal...@googlegroups.com
Can you try with 0.2.6-SNAPSHOT?

Thanks

Mike Ressler

Oct 16, 2014, 2:58:20 PM10/16/14
to beanstal...@googlegroups.com
Looks like a pretty old issue here - and there has been no update from OP.  But I'm seeing the same thing against 1.3.5.  My stack trace is a little different:

java.lang.NullPointerException
at com.amazonaws.services.elasticbeanstalk.model.DescribeConfigurationOptionsRequest.withOptions(DescribeConfigurationOptionsRequest.java:333)

I get this when trying to
mvn beanstalk:describe-configuration-options

or when I
mvn beanstalk:update-environment

Any pointers?  My configuration is minimal.  I just added the plugin at version 1.3.5, added configuration for applicationName, environmentRef, s3Bucket, and s3Key.

Aldrin Leal

Oct 16, 2014, 3:01:24 PM10/16/14
to beanstal...@googlegroups.com
Mike,

Can you send me a gist of a stacktrace? perhaps in private, plus with -X options? :)

Thanks

--
-- Aldrin Leal, <ald...@leal.eng.br>
Master your EC2-fu! Get the latest ekaterminal public beta http://www.ingenieux.com.br/products/ekaterminal/

Mike Ressler

Oct 16, 2014, 3:02:11 PM10/16/14
to beanstal...@googlegroups.com
Just noticed the most recent post in this group mentions 1.3.4 is the most recent released version as of a few days ago.  When I didn't specify a version, 1.3.5 came down.  I didn't see a released version listed on the site.

Same issue when I run with 1.3.4.