Beanstalkd randomly stopping

Tunewiki

May 14, 2012, 11:05:46 AM5/14/12
to beanstalk-talk
Hello,

We are running beanstalkd on Ubuntu. Yesterday we received alerts
saying the beanstalkd process stopped and our queues began backing up.
This is the only error message I could find. Any idea what it means?

May 13 11:44:39 bns6 kernel: [4658098.511165] beanstalkd[16793]
general protection ip:40978b sp:7fff307194c0 error:0 in
beanstalkd[400000+12000]

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

gbarr

May 17, 2012, 5:44:34 PM5/17/12
to beansta...@googlegroups.com
On Monday, May 14, 2012 10:05:46 AM UTC-5, Tunewiki wrote:
We are running beanstalkd on Ubuntu. Yesterday we received alerts
saying the beanstalkd process stopped and our queues began backing up.
This is the only error message I could find. Any idea what it means?

May 13 11:44:39 bns6 kernel: [4658098.511165] beanstalkd[16793]
general protection ip:40978b sp:7fff307194c0 error:0 in
beanstalkd[400000+12000]

We have been seeing this same error. A google search lead me to

which seems to indicate that this is a bad pointer issue, but I have
been unable to track it.

Graham.

Keith Rarick

May 17, 2012, 7:57:03 PM5/17/12
to beansta...@googlegroups.com
Graham, thanks for finding the meaning of this message.

Both of you: what version of beanstalkd?

kr
> --
> For more options, visit this group at
> http://groups.google.com/group/beanstalk-talk?hl=en.

Tyler Yosick

May 17, 2012, 8:25:38 PM5/17/12
to beansta...@googlegroups.com, b...@tunewiki.com
The version that were seeing having the issues is the latest 1.5... We don't recall this ever happening on previous builds.
--

Tyler Yosick
TuneWiki Operations

Keith Rarick

May 17, 2012, 9:55:36 PM5/17/12
On Thu, May 17, 2012 at 5:25 PM, Tyler Yosick <tyo...@tunewiki.com> wrote:
> The version that were seeing having the issues is the latest 1.5... We don't
> recall this ever happening on previous builds.

Thanks. If anyone finds a reproducible test case,
that would be immensely helpful.

BTW, there's been another release, 1.6, though I
doubt it will fix this.

https://github.com/kr/beanstalkd/issues/119

kr

gbarr

May 18, 2012, 10:08:37 AM5/18/12

On Thursday, May 17, 2012 6:57:03 PM UTC-5, Keith Rarick wrote:
Graham, thanks for finding the meaning of this message.

Both of you: what version of beanstalkd?

we are running a version that was compiled from https://github.com/kr/beanstalkd/commits/4b45d37ab21919f4c9f1286346284a36a5a7e695 which is a few commits after 1.5 was tagged

Graham.

Tyler Yosick

May 23, 2012, 1:28:27 PM5/23/12
to beansta...@googlegroups.com, b...@tunewiki.com
Just an update: We downgraded to beanstalkd 1.4.6 and haven't had ANY crashes within 48 hours (and still haven't).

Graham.

Keith Rarick

May 23, 2012, 3:09:15 PM5/23/12
On Wed, May 23, 2012 at 10:28 AM, Tyler Yosick <tyo...@tunewiki.com> wrote:
> Just an update: We downgraded to beanstalkd 1.4.6 and haven't had ANY
> crashes within 48 hours (and still haven't).

Thanks. That's useful information.

If you can manage to generate a core dump or stack
trace of 1.5 when it crashes, please consider posting
it to https://github.com/kr/beanstalkd/issues/119 or
you can send it directly to me. That would be a huge
help in fixing this.

kr