beamer and hebrew

Uwe Brauer

Aug 3, 2017, 4:23:46 PM8/3/17
to beamer...@googlegroups.com
Hi

I am running Kubuntu 14.04 and installed TL 2016.
I tried to generate a presentation in hebrew using beamer.
(I also found a cls bidibeamer, which I will commend about in a second
posting).

So the following example does not work (ie hebrew text is not
displayed.). I have to use xelatex to generate a pdf
\documentclass{beamer}
\usepackage{fontspec}
\usepackage{bidi}
\setmainfont{Arial}
\begin{document}
\begin{frame}
\setRL
\frametitle{שלום}
\setRL
\begin{itemize}
\item שלום
\item עכשיו
\end{itemize}

\setLR
\begin{itemize}
\item peace
\item now
\end{itemize}
\end{frame}
\end{document}

But

\documentclass[12pt]{article}
\usepackage{fontspec}
\usepackage{bidi}
\setmainfont{Arial}

\begin{document}
\setRL
שלום
\end{document}

Works, what do I miss?

Uwe Brauer

Aug 4, 2017, 2:46:16 AM8/4/17
to beamer...@googlegroups.com
>>> "Uwe" == Uwe Brauer <o...@mat.ucm.es> writes:

> Hi

I found out that the following sort of works with xelatex
\documentclass[xetex]{beamer}
\usepackage{fontspec}
\usepackage{bidi}
\usetheme{CambridgeUS}
\setmainfont{Arial}
\setsansfont{Arial}
\begin{document}
\begin{frame}
\setRL
\frametitle{\RL{שלום}}
\setRL
\begin{itemize}
\item שלום
\item עכשיו
\end{itemize}
\setLR
\begin{itemize}
\item peace
\item now
\end{itemize}
\end{frame}
\end{document}

However the itemize environment for the hebrew is not set on the right
margin.

For the article class, bidi works without problems, but not for beamer,
the bidibeamer cls I mentioned 'solves' this issue, but creates a new
one, the enumerate/itemize environments for L2R text are not at the
left margin.

So I think the best solution would be to improve either beamer or
bidibeamer in that respect.

Uwe Brauer