generating an index with slide numbers, not frame numbers?

Eric S Fraga

Sep 23, 2016, 4:43:40 AM9/23/16
to beamer...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

I want to create an index for a long beamer presentation (set of lecture
notes). The index is created but the page numbers associated with each
entry are the "pdf" page numbers as opposed to the actual slide
number. I.e. if there are any overlays, pauses, etc. in a slide, this
slide consists of multiple pages. As a result, the page number
associated with each index entry is increasing out of line with the
slide number further in the presentation.

Does anybody know how to customise/adapt \index to place the slide
number instead of the page number?

Many thanks,
eric
--
: Eric S Fraga, GnuPG: 0xFFFCF67D
: in Emacs 25.1.1 + Gnus v5.13 + evil-git-bdeb602

robin48gx

Sep 23, 2016, 8:34:15 AM9/23/16
to beamer...@googlegroups.com
Maybe make a counter and only increment it as required, and the display that counter in the footer ?

Eric S Fraga

Sep 23, 2016, 10:35:03 AM9/23/16
to beamer...@googlegroups.com
On Friday, 23 Sep 2016 at 13:33, robin48gx wrote:
> Maybe make a counter and only increment it as required, and the display
> that counter in the footer ?

Very nice idea! Thanks for this. The problem still remains: how to get
\index to use that counter.

I seem to have found a slightly hacky way of getting \index to do what I
want. I have redefined it to

\makeatletter
\def\index#1{%
\protected@write\@indexfile{}%
{\string\indexentry{#1}{\@arabic\c@framenumber}}}
\makeatother

i.e. using c@framenumber which appears to be the counter I needed. I
had to understand the original code first which has some hacks to deal
with page numbers which I didn't quite understand...

Anyway, this appears to work well enough for my lecture slides although
I'm sure somebody will have a cleaner approach.

Thanks again,
eric

--
Eric S Fraga (GnuPG: 0xC89193D8FFFCF67D)