GSOC: Questions about ExDoc Port

Radcliffe Robinson

Mar 22, 2017, 1:19:51 PM3/22/17
to BEAM Community
Hi again,

I am in the process of writing up my proposal for the "Port ExDoc to Elm" GSOC project but have two questions about the intentions of the project.

Currently, javscript is only used to aid in searching for and navigating between content. The content itself is in the form of separate html pages generated from eex templates. This works well for current use cases and naturally runs offline without issue.

The project description states "The end goal is to remove markup concerns from the ExDoc backend and handle those as well as the existing JavaScript logic, directly from Elm.".
Is the intention of this project to stop generating multiple html files and instead generate a json structure which represents all the project information, and feeding this into the Elm app ? This is as opposed to leaving the content generation as is and simply replacing the sidebar and search functionality with an Elm implementation of these features.

Unless there are existing  concerns about the way page content is currently generated, i do not see much benefit to replacing the tempting for pages with an Elm single page app. I would greatly appreciate some clarity on this.

Additionally, if are there any new features that have been considered for being added into ExDoc front end, i would love to know about them.

Best Regards,
Radcliffe

José Valim

Mar 22, 2017, 1:31:14 PM3/22/17
to Radcliffe Robinson, BEAM Community
The requirements are: it must be able to run locally and we cannot unify everything in a single document as it would be too heavy.

Anything that fits those requirements is a viable option. For example, we can continue building the HTML pages but use it exclusively for markup (as folks have used XML for ages for transporting data).

You can find feature proposals in the issues tracker. :)

José Valim
Skype: jv.ptec
Founder and Director of R&D

Radcliffe Robinson

Mar 22, 2017, 6:11:45 PM3/22/17
to BEAM Community, radcli...@gmail.com, jose....@plataformatec.com.br
Alright that clears things up. Thanks for the heads up about the github issues.