GSoC 2016 Elixir/Phoenix CouchDB authentication project

André Miranda Moreira

Mar 19, 2016, 8:21:33 AM3/19/16
to BEAM Community
I've seen that the BEAM community is accepting GSoC ideas around Elixir (https://github.com/beamcommunity/beamcommunity.github.com/wiki/Project:-Elixir) and I have a proposal around it:

# Create a CouchDB authentication plug for Phoenix
## Idea description
CouchDB has many unique rules regarding authentication and authorization, allowing the developer to authenticate the user and then give the user REST access to the database directly.

The plug would handle all the authentication and authorization around it. It would be a port of SuperLogin (https://github.com/colinskow/superlogin) for the Phoenix framework, written in Elixir.

## Expected results
A complete library/plug, with documentation, testing and code coverage. I'd implement the whole SuperLogin API, and also add one funcionality/endpoint: allow a user to invite another to his/her shared database.

## Knowledge prerequisites
- Knowing how SuperLogin works
- Knowing how CouchDB works
- Understanding Phoenix and Elixir

## Possible Mentors
Any of the listed would be awesome (José Valim, Eric Meadows-Jonsson, Alexei Sholik)

Do you think this would be a good proposal? Any suggestions? Am I going the right way?

Dave Cottlehuber

Mar 19, 2016, 10:41:50 PM3/19/16
to beam-co...@googlegroups.com
Hi André

That's a great idea! I'm a bit busy atm but will do what I can to
support this from CouchDB side, and I'm sure others in the Couch
community would be happy to contribute too. I'm travelling til next
week, BTW let me know next week.

I can't comment on specific Plug details & whether SuperLogin is a
suitable candidate, I'm sure others will know more.

A+

Dave Cottlehuber
Skunkwerks, GmbH
Firmenbuch 410811i

André Miranda Moreira

Mar 21, 2016, 5:52:08 AM3/21/16
to BEAM Community
Thanks for the feedback, Dave. I'll write the proposal, then.

André Miranda Moreira

Mar 22, 2016, 12:48:45 AM3/22/16
to BEAM Community
OK, I've submitted the draft proposal. If I could get some feedback on the draft in order to improve the proposal I'd appreciate.

Thanks, everybody :)