GSoC 2016 new project idea: Erlang HLA RTI

Aparajita Haldar

Mar 12, 2016, 7:49:47 AM3/12/16
to BEAM Community
Hello all,

I am a senior undergraduate student in Computer Science and Mathematics at BITS Pilani, Goa Campus, India.  I am interested in contributing to the BEAM Community projects as part of GSoC 2016.

I have looked through the very interesting project ideas in the 2016 BEAM Community list.  I would like to pitch a new project idea based on my interest in game programming.  I learnt recently about distributed simulation and the IEEE 1516 HLA standard and found the open-source Portico project which is implemented in Java.  The idea of implementing an open-source HLA RTI framework in Erlang/OTP is very exciting to me.  I hope it will be more efficient than Portico because Erlang is known for its high performance.  This has tremendous scope in realistic computer games, artificial life, and more.

Proposed project topic:
ErHLA RTI (Erlang High Level Architecture Run Time Infrastructure) - an IEEE 1516 standard compliant open-source framework for high-performance large-scale distributed simulation.

End goal (within scope of this GSoC) (~2 months):
To implement a basic Erlang/OTP implementation of a feasible subset of the core HLA federation framework and one or two simple simulator entities for demonstration of the framework.

Long term goal (~2 years):
To extend the project to a complete open-source Erlang/OTP implementation of a IEEE 1516 standard compliant HLA RTI and FOM framework with a library of simulator components for 3D gaming.

Why is it interesting:
IEEE 1516 HLA provides the industry standard common framework for distributed simulation with interoperability between simulators developed independently. There are many expensive commercial implementations of the HLA framework and a couple of open-source implementations also available. The most notable amongst the open-source implementations is Portico (https://github.com/openlvc/portico).
Erlang/OTP with its strong intrinsic support for concurrent programming, message-passing, fine-grain processes, and fault-tolerance is ideal for large scale distributed simulations with hundreds of simulated entities with complex near real time interactions. The HLA RTI framework needs to deliver tremendous distributed computing and network communication performance and I intend to develop such a framework in Erlang that should hopefully be more efficient than Portico.

If this proposal is interesting to a potential mentor, I shall be happy to discuss more details of my plan.

Duncan Suttles

May 22, 2017, 9:14:00 AM5/22/17
to BEAM Community
We are interested in the same idea using NodeJS rather than Erlang  .

José Valim

May 22, 2017, 9:16:44 AM5/22/17
to Duncan Suttles, BEAM Community
Then I would advise you to reach a mailing list that is about NodeJS, as this mailing list focuses on technologies that run on the Erlang VM.

José Valim
Skype: jv.ptec
Founder and Director of R&D