how many students are we allowed to have?

Benoit Chesneau

Mar 7, 2016, 4:54:28 PM3/7/16
to BEAM Community
Hello,

One of the GSOC aspirants just asked about that. So what's the limit?

- benoit

Mickaël Rémond .

Mar 7, 2016, 5:42:37 PM3/7/16
to Benoit Chesneau, BEAM Community
Hello,

We do not know yet, it will be Google that will decide based on quality of project.
However, if you asked about the number of student per mentor, I think it is 1 student.
This is already a quite involving task. Trust me, you will not have time for more.

José Valim

Mar 7, 2016, 6:01:40 PM3/7/16
to Mickaël Rémond ., Benoit Chesneau, BEAM Community
I can second that. I had two students last year and it was quite time consuming. I do not recommend. :)
--

José Valim
Skype: jv.ptec

Christopher Meiklejohn

Mar 7, 2016, 9:05:01 PM3/7/16
to José Valim, "Mickaël Rémond .", Benoit Chesneau, BEAM Community
I asked how to go about adding Lasp and never received an answer.  Any advice?

I had a single grad student on Lasp last year and it wasn't too bad.  I feel I'd have no problem taking two.

Sent from my iPhone

Benoit Chesneau

Mar 11, 2016, 12:29:36 PM3/11/16
to BEAM Community, bche...@gmail.com, jose....@plataformatec.com.br
Thanks for the answers, let see then :)

- benoit

Michael Uvarov

Mar 11, 2016, 3:04:52 PM3/11/16
to beam-co...@googlegroups.com
It's one student per mentor.
Some projects (like Xapian) have "shared" mentors.
So, officially each student has it's own mentor, but a student can ask any other mentor for help on their IRC channel or on the mail-list. But it will not work in our case, because beam-community is an umbrella for several projects.