Live Streaming for Swirl Project

Vanshdeep Singh

Mar 15, 2014, 3:24:52 PM3/15/14
to beam-co...@googlegroups.com

Hi,

This is Vanshdeep Singh. I am 3rd year undergraduate student at IIIT-Hyderabad.
I am interested in working for the beam community during my summers. I have
skimmed through the project wiki and found the Swirl project really interesting,
and I would really like to contribute to it by implementing the "live steaming"
feature for it.

I was introduced to erlang during my previous year summer intern wherein I
participated in building a cloud platform using erlang. Since then I have been
boning up on different concepts in erlang and it is the beauty of erlang that has
motivated me to contribute to the community.

I have already gone through the PPSP draft that explains about live streaming,
also I have gone through the online documentation of the swirl project available
at github.

I would really like someone to help me understand the implementation plan for "live
streaming" in the swirl project.

_________________
Vanshdeep Singh
Btech CS & MS CNS
IIIT-Hyderabad

Dave Cottlehuber

Mar 17, 2014, 7:43:32 PM3/17/14
to beam-co...@googlegroups.com
On 15. März 2014 at 20:24:55, Vanshdeep Singh (kan...@gmail.com) wrote:

> Hi,
>
> This is Vanshdeep Singh. I am 3rd year undergraduate student at
> IIIT-Hyderabad.
> I am interested in working for the beam community during my summers. I have
> skimmed through the project wiki and found the Swirl project really
> interesting,
> and I would really like to contribute to it by implementing the "live
> steaming"
> feature for it.

Hi! We’ve already talked a bit on IRC & on the swirl mailing list, but welcome
again Kansi :-).

> I was introduced to erlang during my previous year summer intern wherein I
> participated in building a cloud platform using erlang. Since then I have
> been
> boning up on different concepts in erlang and it is the beauty of erlang
> that has
> motivated me to contribute to the community.
>
> I have already gone through the PPSP draft that explains about live
> streaming,
> also I have gone through the online documentation of the swirl project
> available
> at github.
>
> I would really like someone to help me understand the implementation plan
> for "live
> streaming" in the swirl project.

I suggest this is something we tackle together on the project list.

As some examples, I’d suggest looking at the requirements in
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-ppsp-peer-protocol-08#section-6
and seeing if you can break these down into small modules, and possibly
a state machine or other construct to track the live streaming state.

There will be some extensions to the protocol (de)coder to handle
the additional messages, and in the section on using DNSSEC RR to encode
the swarm id (aka public key) it refers to a number of specs, including
a bunch of hash algorithms, probably mostly available in crypto module.
This code can be abstracted into a helper module, as can computing the
munro hashes, which then get included into the new tree.

Finally, don’t forget to get your melange submission in, that’s the
most important piece of paperwork ;-).

A+
Dave

--