Elixirfmt draft proposal

Mohamed Seleem

Mar 11, 2017, 7:22:01 AM3/11/17
to BEAM Community
Hello.
I'm Mohamed Seleem, a student in the 4th year of Computer and Systems Engineers, at Ain Shams University, Egypt.

I've been interested in a tool similar to gofmt ever since I worked with Elixir in a team environment. Which is why I'm applying for the elixirfmt project.

I've thought about an initial implementation and written a draft proposal here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1VM_2ppqpgrsGQxDRAgWC8GX62X2Q2wDI7Kn4eiSueUE/edit?usp=drivesdk

I'd like the community's feedback on such implementation (and on the proposal in general) so that I can improve it.

I also have a few questions regarding the tool:

1. The gofmt tool has a flag to simplify code as seen here: https://golang.org/cmd/gofmt/#hdr-The_simplify_command
Should I implement similar functionality in the elixirfmt tool ?

2. Is there an official style guide currently available ? (Or a list of required features, as the project description on the GSoC page wasn't very clear regarding this)

Thanks!

José Valim

Mar 12, 2017, 6:52:07 AM3/12/17
to Mohamed Seleem, BEAM Community
Welcome Mohamed Seleem!

From a quick glance the proposal looks quite good.

To answer your questions: I wouldn't worry about a simplify command. The most important is to get the design and initial abstractions right. Then I believe adding a simplify mode won't be that complicated. :)

About the style guide, this is the closest we have to an official style guide: https://github.com/lexmag/elixir-style-guide. It is maintained by Aleksei from the core team and it reflects the Elixir codebase.

José Valim
Skype: jv.ptec
Founder and Director of R&D

Mohamed Seleem