GSOC17

Prashant Kumar

Sep 6, 2016, 5:42:23 AM9/6/16
to BEAM Community
Hello guys
               I a 4th yr student at Indian institute of technology,Kharagpur,India.Please help me understanding some points regarding BEAM community and GSOC
1. What exactly is BEAM community? is it only a group of projects that uses erlang??
2. How different projects are related to BEAM, and why they let BEAM represent them in GSOC?
3 And on what basis BEAM community select students for GSOC.Suppose two students write the same proposal then how will BEAM choose between them ?

any help will be appreciated.thanks

Prashant Kumar

Sep 6, 2016, 5:55:06 AM9/6/16
to BEAM Community

On Tuesday, September 6, 2016 at 3:12:23 PM UTC+5:30, Prashant Kumar wrote:
Hello guys
               I am 4th yr student at Indian institute of technology,Kharagpur,India.Please help me understanding some points regarding BEAM community and GSOC

Marc Worrell

Sep 9, 2016, 4:50:43 AM9/9/16
to Prashant Kumar, BEAM Community
Hello Prashnant,

Thank you for your interest in the BEAM community.

> 1. What exactly is BEAM community? is it only a group of projects that uses erlang??

Yes, it is a group of projects that run on the BEAM virtual machine.
There are more languages than just Erlang, for example Elixir.

> 2. How different projects are related to BEAM, and why they let BEAM represent them in GSOC?

We group together because then it is easier with the communication with Google, have interesting projects and find good students.

There are multiple open source projects represented in the BEAM community.
Each year every project defines some project ideas and then we all try to find students.
At the end we check how many students have applied, how many have good proposals and then ask Google for some slots.
After we have given a certain number of slots we can decide how many projects will be done.

This is always in good cooperation between the projects, as we are partners not competitors.

> 3 And on what basis BEAM community select students for GSOC.Suppose two students write the same proposal then how will BEAM choose between them ?

If they have literally the same proposal then something must be wrong :-)

We also communicate with the student, ask what they did before, how much time they have available, etc.
From that we make the final decision who can get a slot and who will be the primary mentor.

- Marc