GSoc 2016 || Project Barrel-Idea #2: implement a rabbitmq plugin

amil shanaka

Mar 5, 2016, 12:42:14 AM3/5/16
to BEAM Community

Hi,
I'm a 3rd year undergraduate in the department of Computer Science and Engineering at University of Moratuwa,Sri Lanka. In my experience, I've been worked with WSO2 Message Broker during my internship period.so im quite familliar with MQTT(with netty) and AMQP protocols.so i would like to work with RabbitMQ mb and make a good plugin for Barrel . So i would like to know more details regrading this project in detail that I could proceed .
Thank you,
amil

Benoit Chesneau

Mar 7, 2016, 4:52:31 PM3/7/16
to BEAM Community
Hi amil,

Thanks for your interrest!

There are two goal to that projetcs, the first one is allowing people to create queues and other actions over the couchdb changes. The second one maybe more ambitious is allowing the replication of the data via rabbitmq.

We can discuss more over IRC (#barreldb on IRC freenode ) if you want to or on the user forum.

Best,

- benoît

amil shanaka

Mar 11, 2016, 10:50:29 PM3/11/16
to BEAM Community
hi !!!
what are the things do i need to refer regarding this project !!
how do i need to give my proposal

Benoit Chesneau

Mar 13, 2016, 11:07:37 AM3/13/16
to BEAM Community
Hello,

I recently gave on irc a full description of the plugin. The ain idea is to allows the creation of queues ove a barrel database. As for an example on how it could works, here is the code done long time agao to subscribe on changes using zmq over rcouch:

To extend this sile feature it would be very useful to allows a user to design the way we want to creates feeds based on a barrel database, such thing.

About your question "how do i need to give my proposal " you can have a look there:

If you have more question join us on the forum: https://users.barrel-db.org of #barreldb irc on freenode :) I am traveling today but will be available tomorrow.

- benoit

amil shanaka

Mar 16, 2016, 12:53:18 AM3/16/16
to BEAM Community
hey!!
sorry for the delay !!
so are you guys looking a solution like Oracle AQ  ?
and  honestly i don't know about the language Erlang. so will it be a huge problem if i go through this project ?
I mean learn erlang and do the project parallel ? because I've done coding through java ! :(

Benoit Chesneau

Mar 17, 2016, 12:43:29 PM3/17/16
to BEAM Community

On Wednesday, March 16, 2016 at 5:53:18 AM UTC+1, amil shanaka wrote:
hey!!
sorry for the delay !!
so are you guys looking a solution like Oracle AQ  ?

Somehow, persistence mechanism is already handled though. It's more the next layer.

and  honestly i don't know about the language Erlang. so will it be a huge problem if i go through this project ?
I mean learn erlang and do the project parallel ? because I've done coding through java ! :(

It will makes the thing really difficult I think since you will have also to learn some internal mechanisms of barrel. Learning erlang is not that difficult and can probably be achieved before the GSOC starts. I would adise to read these books if you want too:

There are already some proposal on this project. Maybe you can find something easier to start on barrel if you want to? For example you could work on building an initial prototype of an UI. Or one of the other projects.

Best,

- benoît