GSoC 2015 - Zotonic, Idea 6

Iuri Machado

Mar 25, 2015, 8:50:51 AM3/25/15
to beam-co...@googlegroups.com
Hello everyone! My name is Iuri, I'm studying Computer Science @ Federal University of Rio de Janeiro and I liked the idea 6 of zotonic project. I've been studying Erlang for the past year and I would like to give a try on what I've learn, and do some good for the community. How do I get started? :-)

Att,
I.

Marc Worrell

Mar 26, 2015, 4:51:47 AM3/26/15
to Iuri Machado, beam-co...@googlegroups.com
Hi Luri,

Idea 6, the OTP-ification, is actually a quite big project.
So we advise to only take it up if you are very familiar with OTP.

We also have some ideas about restructuring the supervision tree in Zotonic.
The idea is to create more controlled start/restart of sites, better independency, and fuses for sites and modules.
That might also be an interesting project to work on.

Having said that, here is what Arjan wrote about the OTP-ification project:

> About the OTP'ification:
>
> A year or so ago I had the following idea:
> • zotonic core consists of a collection of OTP apps
> • z_core
> • z_stdlib
> • etc
> • every zotonic site is its own OTP app
> • every module is its own OTP app
> The z_core app would run all global, essential processes to Zotonic.
>
> • <z_core application process>
> • z_sites_dispatcher
> • e-mail receiver
> The module apps do NOT run any processes except for zotonic-global processes (because modules can be started in multiple sites)
> The site app would have the largest process tree:
>
> • <site application process>
> • z_core_site_sup
> • z_db_pool
> • z_module_manager
> • module processes (gen_servers)
> • z_notifier
> • z_session_manager
> • z_depcache
> • z_dropbox
> • ... etc
> I started on some code here: https://github.com/arjan/z_otp_test/tree/master/apps
>
> But it is basically only the project structure, there is no real contents in it yet.
>
> I think that for a student project, this is a fairly complicated thing to work on. Honestly, unless you are already very experienced with Erlang, I would recommend taking on one of the other [Zotonic] projects.

So, have a look at it, and tell us what you think.

Cheers,

Marc

Iuri Machado

Mar 26, 2015, 8:54:05 AM3/26/15
to Marc Worrell, beam-co...@googlegroups.com
Hello Marc,

Thanks for the reply. Yes I was looking at other messages and I realize that it might be way too much for me the idea 6. So I've decided to take on idea 5 (which I already signed up @GSoC) and I've some more ideas to input together with it.

By the way, the link to the proof of concept in the ideas page on github is broken. :-)