GSoC Zotonic.

Marcin Skalski

Mar 17, 2015, 7:45:57 PM3/17/15
to beam-co...@googlegroups.com
Hello.
My name is Marcin and I'm studying Computer Science at AGH University of Science and Technology. I would be happy to participate in GSoC and your project drew extra attention. I have some previous experience in Erlang. I created 2 smaller projects using Erlang just like Piotrek who wrote yeasterday. I'm especially interested in Zotonic part of project. I did some digging lately and I found out it to be very fun to work with and I would like to take part in developing it. But here are some questions that bothers me. I'm not sure if I understand it correcty but should I pick one idea that i wold like to work on? If yes i think that Idea 6 and Idea 5 are the most interesting, but I thing all should be fun. Next question is about required knowledge to participate in GSoC. What sould i know? Also getting some tips about appling would be nice.
Best Regards,
Marcin Skalski

Michael Uvarov

Mar 18, 2015, 5:49:39 AM3/18/15
to Marcin Skalski, beam-co...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I am a former 2012 and 2013 year student. I want to share several my advices.

You should choose one idea for you project or propose your own (but students usually choose from a list).

You write a proposal what you want to do and how. If your proposal is good to be accepted, you starting coding for gsoc according gsoc timeline (may or june). Mentors will compare your work and your proposal in September and accept your work or not. Your ultimate goal is to get your job done and to be merged in upstream.

Also you can start contributing to a project any time before summer :) Just start fixing issues on github. It should increase probably of accepting your proposal.

Knowledges that will help but are not strictly required: erlang, otp, postgresql, web, js, git.

Regards,
Michael

Marc Worrell

Mar 19, 2015, 4:22:55 AM3/19/15
to Marcin Skalski, beam-co...@googlegroups.com
Hi Marcin,

First: welcome to the beam community!  And great that you would like to work on a Zotonic project.
Michael answered already most of your questions, I think.

The ideas are indeed just that, ideas. Things that we came up with while brainstorming.
I personally think that idea 6 (OTP-ification) might be a bit big, as it is almost a “everything or nothing” project..
Idea 5 (the stats) is something you can make as large or small as you like, so that will fit one summer-of-code.

Last year we worked together using Google Docs for editing the proposals, that way it was easy to comment and share between you, the mentors and the zotonic developers.

Looking forward to see your ideas!

Marc Worrell

Marcin Skalski

Mar 25, 2015, 7:52:51 AM3/25/15
to beam-co...@googlegroups.com, marcin0...@gmail.com
Hello again,

First of all I want to thank you for answering all my questions It was very helpful, but I have more of them. So I wrote first version of my proposal here is the link:

I would be glad if someone could look at It comment what I could improve or what I'm missing or give my any other useful tips. Getting some feedback from mentor would be very useful.
Another question, proposal deadline is this firday? Also I don't understand exactly community bounding.

Regards Marcin