Re: Contributing to the Beam Community for GSoC

Message has been deleted

José Valim

Feb 15, 2017, 12:33:49 PM2/15/17
to Anshuman Chhabra, BEAM Community
Hi Anshuman,

Glad to hear you are excited about Elixir!

We already have a tool like Rubocop, which is called Credo. Therefore elixirfmt does not aim to be like Rubocop, rather, it aims to be like "go fmt", which parses the code and formats it consistently.

José Valim
Skype: jv.ptec
Founder and Director of R&D

On Wed, Feb 15, 2017 at 6:05 PM, Anshuman Chhabra <anshuman...@gmail.com> wrote:
I am Anshuman Chhabra, a third year Electronics engineering undergraduate from the University of Delhi, India and I would like to work for the elixirfmt project as part of GSoC. I am not extremely proficient in Elixir and Erlang as of now and only possess intermediate knowledge as I come from a Ruby and Python programming background. However, I am very impressed with Elixir and therefore, have been working to develop my skills in the same. Till date, I have largely been working on research related projects in college and have three IEEE conference papers in work related to the Cloud, Mobile Networks and Machine Learning in both the USA and India.

Could somebody guide me to some reading material related to the project? I also wanted to ask - would we implementing this similar to the way the Rubocop gem works in Ruby? Rubocop essentially checks code for styling guidelines and then instead of formatting the code according to these, outputs where code is improperly styled so that the user may make the appropriate changes. Or would we be building a dynamic code analyzer?

Thank you!