How to Install Coreboot on BeagleBone Black

Jan Jaap

Apr 1, 2017, 7:23:13 AM4/1/17
to BeagleBoard
Hi!

I noticed that Coreboot has added official support for the BeagleBone Black but I could not find any information or instructions on how to install it.

I have the following question:

Is an SPI programmer required to flash the bios of the BeagleBone? If not, does anyone have a link to instructions on how to flash the bios of a BeagleBone?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Tuan Vu

Jun 29, 2017, 9:42:41 PM6/29/17
to BeagleBoard
Hi,

After some digging around on the Internet, I found that the BBB has 2 boot modes: SD mode and eMMC mode.

I believe that if you create a bootable coreboot image and put it on the SD card, you can test out the image without fear of bricking your BBB. You can also optionally flash the eMMC to make the image permanent. There should be plenty of resources out there on how to do either method.

Haven't tested it out myself though :)