Flashing a customized kernel (4.1.3-bone-rt-r15) to the BBB

Ben F.

Jul 29, 2015, 12:16:38 PM7/29/15
to BeagleBoard
Hi,

We have a project with many BBBs, therefore I need that modified kernel mentioned above running on all BBBs.
Every BBB should be easyily "flashable" with one SSD with that modified kernel.

What I did/tried so far:

1.) build_kernel.sh
of the 4.1.3-bone-rt-r15 kernel. Some extras added (e.g. debugfs) --> No errors

2.) Installed / copied the EMMC Flasher to my SSD
wget https://rcn-ee.com/rootfs/2015-07-08/flasher/BBB-eMMC-flasher-debian-8.1-console-armhf-2015-07-08-2gb.img.xz
--> The BeagleBone Black accepts the image and starts to flash (just for testing)

3.) install_kernel.sh
Function works, it copies the content of the new kernel (e.g. 4.1.3-bone-rt-r15-modules.tar.gz etc.) to the SSD.

But the BBB does not flash with this modified SSD. Only the 4 User LEDs blink up at all for a few seconds, then they are dark. After a few seconds they blink up again. Seems that the BBB hangs at a point.

Thanks in advance!
Greetings
Benjamin

William Hermans

Jul 29, 2015, 1:20:55 PM7/29/15
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
Sounds like the perfect use case for a serial debug cable. No telling what is going on, until you get / use one.

Robert Nelson

Jul 29, 2015, 1:28:19 PM7/29/15
to Beagle Board
Use the ./build_deb.sh script and just install the linux-image*.deb

Regards,

--
Robert Nelson
https://rcn-ee.com/