BBB GLIBC6 version issue

A P

Apr 10, 2014, 8:37:31 AM4/10/14
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
I hope someone out there can help.

I have a BBB just updated to the latest firmware. My version on the BBB of LIBC6 is v2.16. I am compiling a project in Eclipse which if I include the line

    clkerr=clock_gettime(CLOCK_REALTIME,&UDPstartTime);      //CLOCK_MONOTONIC CLOCK_REALTIM _POSIX_MONOTONIC_CLOCK

Builds successfully. When however I launch via the GDB debugger I get the error :

Remote debugging from host 192.168.1.8
/home/root/test/test: /lib/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.17' not found (required by /home/root/test/test)

Child exited with status 1
GDBserver exiting

If I comment out the clock_gettime function the program runs and I can debug.

I cannot find a later version of LIBC6 (2.17 or greater) for Angstrom distribution. Or is there another solution or am I barking up the wrong tree.

I am running Eclipse from a Windows 7 PC. The Cross compiler is gcc-linaro-arm-linux-gnueabihf-4.8-2013.09_win32

John Syn

Apr 10, 2014, 2:07:15 PM4/10/14
to beagl...@googlegroups.com

From: A P <a.poo...@gmail.com>
Date: Thursday, April 10, 2014 at 5:37 AM
To: <beagl...@googlegroups.com>
Subject: [beagleboard] BBB GLIBC6 version issue
run ldd on your app to see the shared library dependency.

Regards,
John

A P

Apr 11, 2014, 2:31:14 AM4/11/14
to beagl...@googlegroups.com

Thanks for your quick response.

root@beaglebone:~/test# ldd test
./test: /lib/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.17' not found (required by ./test)
        libpthread.so.0 => /lib/libpthread.so.0 (0xb6ed1000)
        libc.so.6 => /lib/libc.so.6 (0xb6da0000)
        /lib/ld-linux.so.3 (0xb6efc000)

As requested

walter harms

Apr 11, 2014, 3:53:16 AM4/11/14
to beagl...@googlegroups.com

A P

Apr 11, 2014, 5:26:43 AM4/11/14
to beagl...@googlegroups.com

A P

Apr 11, 2014, 5:30:27 AM4/11/14
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
i have seen this link (re-stackoverflow)

However I thought this solution (below) was for Ubuntu - I am using Angstrom. Sudo is not used. Fogive me if I am being a little naive here as I am new to using Linux.

Had face the same problem. Solved it by the following steps.

  1. Downloaded "libc6_2.17-0ubuntu5.1_i386.deb"
  2. sudo dpkg -i ipts libc6_2.17-0ubuntu5.1_i386.deb

sudo dpkg -i ipts libc6_2.17-0ubuntu5.1_i386.deb

 If this indeed works how do I download it?

A P

Apr 11, 2014, 5:51:03 AM4/11/14
to beagl...@googlegroups.com

Just looked again at the Stack overflow solution and it seems to be downloading a i386 file. So I am guessing that this is for the PC with the cross compiler on it (and not the Beaglebone). My host PC is running Windows 7 not Linux.

Also my host PC has the 2.17 library it is the Angstrom library on the BBB that is at 2.16 and probably needs updating somehow.

Regards,

A P

William Hermans

Apr 11, 2014, 11:07:24 AM4/11/14
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
Best option you have is finding the source and building the library directly on the BBB. Or perhaps checking to see if one of the other distro's running on the BBB have it as a package already, then moving to it.

I am not sure why some of you are still sticking with Angstrom on the BBB, as it seems to be a serious hurdle to overcome in many ways.

A P

Apr 15, 2014, 9:03:24 AM4/15/14
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
OK still no progress with Angstrom, but I thought I would give the new Debian image for SD card a try. This is miles easier to use than the previous - USB works out of the box :)  . However the libc6 library was 2.13 after updating etc, however I stumbled across the following bash script

#!/bin/sh
echo "deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian sid main" >> /etc/apt/sources.list
apt-get update
apt-get -t sid install libc6 libc6-dev libc6-dbg
echo "Please remember to hash out sid main from your sources list. /etc/apt/sources.list"

Which installed a test version of 2.18

This worked fine. Now I just have to get the other bits I had working, working again on this image, oh and speed up the boot time significantly.

David Lambert

Apr 15, 2014, 9:15:49 AM4/15/14
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
If you add the following to your /boot/uBoot/uEnv.txt, you will use systemd as the init process. This will speed up boot time significantly.
#Optional arguments
optargs=init=/bin/systemd

A P

Apr 16, 2014, 5:37:29 AM4/16/14
to beagl...@googlegroups.com

Thank you for the information David I will definitely give this a go.

das.sh...@gmail.com

Sep 30, 2015, 10:01:06 AM9/30/15
to BeagleBoard

The host is BBB running the Angstrom distribution Angstrom Distribution (BeagleBone Black - 2GB eMMC) 2013-09-04.I am trying to cross compile curl code for the host.

I am running the GCC cross compiler (arm-linux-gnueabi) inside Eclipse under Ubuntu 14.04 on Intel 32 bit machine.

It seems that the BBB comes with glibc-2.17 It seems that my eclipse project running with GCC cross tool chain comes with glibc-2.19

As long as I compile simple programs, things compile and run.

As soon as I start to do curl programming for HTTP post I get run time errors. "/lib/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.17' not found (required by /usr/lib/libcurl.so.4)"

Can I update the BeagleBone black glibc-2.19 without breaking other things in the distribution?

Kindly guide me to solve glibc build.