debian: release candidate: 2014-12-11

Robert Nelson

Dec 12, 2014, 4:16:23 PM12/12/14
to Beagle Board
Happy Holidays!

I just pushed out another round of images for testing. I know Jason &
bb.org really wants an offical new image, so please test the last
Debian 7 (wheezy) release for bb.org (1)

http://elinux.org/Beagleboard:BeagleBoneBlack_Debian#2014-12-11

Upgrades over "2014-05-14"

U-boot: v2015.01-rc3
Kernel: 3.8.13-bone68

Simpler Kernel Upgrades:
sudo apt-get install linux-image-3.8.13-bone68 ; sudo reboot

Kernel Headers included:
sudo apt-get install linux-headers-3.8.13-bone68

3rd party module list:
sudo apt-get install mt7601u-modules-3.8.13-bone68

3rd party repo added: https://github.com/rcn-ee/repos (2)
am335x-pru-package
ap-hotspot
dart-1.8 (stable 1.8 branch)
dart-edge (git master branch)
oracle-java8-installer
ti-pru-cgt-installer
xenomai-runtime

1: Debian 8 (Jessie):
At the rate things are going, it might be released mid Feb:
https://udd.debian.org/cgi-bin/rcblog.cgi

2: This is open to more users, if you need something packaged and
distributed that is open source, ping us.

Regards,

--
Robert Nelson
http://www.rcn-ee.com/

Graham

Dec 12, 2014, 6:44:21 PM12/12/14
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
Robert:
Thanks for the new release.

I installed on a BBB Rev-C and get the follow boot failure involving the
Hostname service.

Is there something I need to add or remove?

Thanks,
--- Graham

==

[    7.727431] systemd-fsck[151]: rootfs: clean, 70870/230144 files, 404392/919296 blocks
[   15.925018] libphy: PHY 4a101000.mdio:01 not found
[   15.930059] net eth0: phy 4a101000.mdio:01 not found on slave 1
[FAILED] Failed to start Hostname Service.
See 'systemctl status systemd-hostnamed.service' for details.
[  OK  ] Started Light Display Manager.
[  OK  ] Created slice user-1000.slice.
         Starting User Manager for UID 1000...

Debian GNU/Linux 8 BBB3 ttyO0

root@BBB3:~# systemctl status systemd-hostnamed.service -l
? systemd-hostnamed.service - Hostname Service
   Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/systemd-hostnamed.service; static)
   Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Fri 2014-12-12 05:11:03 UTC; 1min 22s ago
     Docs: man:systemd-hostnamed.service(8)
           man:hostname(5)
           man:machine-info(5)
           http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/hostnamed
 Main PID: 409 (code=exited, status=225/NETWORK)

Dec 12 05:11:03 beaglebone systemd[409]: Failed at step NETWORK spawning /lib/systemd/systemd-hostnamed: Invalid argument
Dec 12 05:11:03 beaglebone systemd[1]: systemd-hostnamed.service: main process exited, code=exited, status=225/NETWORK
Dec 12 05:11:03 beaglebone systemd[1]: Failed to start Hostname Service.
Dec 12 05:11:03 beaglebone systemd[1]: Unit systemd-hostnamed.service entered failed state.
root@BBB3:~#

Graham Haddock

Dec 12, 2014, 6:49:55 PM12/12/14
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
This report is for Jessie Snapshot, not the Debian 7.7
--- Graham

==

Robert Nelson

Dec 12, 2014, 6:52:38 PM12/12/14
to Beagle Board
On Fri, Dec 12, 2014 at 5:44 PM, Graham <gra...@flex-radio.com> wrote:
> Robert:
> Thanks for the new release.
>
> I installed on a BBB Rev-C and get the follow boot failure involving the
> Hostname service.
>
> Is there something I need to add or remove?
>
> Thanks,
> --- Graham
>
> ==

> [ 7.727431] systemd-fsck[151]: rootfs: clean, 70870/230144 files,
> 404392/919296 blocks
> [ 15.925018] libphy: PHY 4a101000.mdio:01 not found
> [ 15.930059] net eth0: phy 4a101000.mdio:01 not found on slave 1
> [FAILED] Failed to start Hostname Service.
> See 'systemctl status systemd-hostnamed.service' for details.
> [ OK ] Started Light Display Manager.
> [ OK ] Created slice user-1000.slice.
> Starting User Manager for UID 1000...
>
> Debian GNU/Linux 8 BBB3 ttyO0

I'm "mostly" sure this is a kernel config issue, i still need to
re-review systemd's requirements.

Graham

Dec 13, 2014, 3:39:10 PM12/13/14
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
Another jessie behavior question.  (BBB Rev.C jessie versus wheezy)

If I load any of the jessie snapshots, including 12-11, I can not get ls to colorize if
I am signed in as root on ttyO0.  Debian 7.7, including 12-11 does work as expected.

Specifically: On jessie 10-29 or 12-11

if I am signed in as root on ttyO0, and I type   ls --color
I do not get colorized output.

If I am signed in as root via SSH and type   ls --color   I do get colorized output.

ttyO0 does properly colorize the systemctl boot messages and ANSI color
commands from my executables.

On any wheezy releases, including Debian 7.7 12-11, things work as I would expect,
in that I get colorized output anytime I enter    ls --color  , including on root ttyO0.

I don't see any difference in the .bashrc or .profile files between the different releases.

Is there some configuration requirement somewhere that I have missed?

I know that the Debian philosophy is that root access is not colorized by default,
but something is blocking the use of color with ls in this specific situation.

Thanks,
--- Graham

==

William Welch

Dec 15, 2014, 7:04:53 PM12/15/14
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
Greetings,

I love the work you are doing Robert -- thank you!

I especially like the lean/small 'console' flasher images, but I have yet to figure out the best way to add missing modules -- for example ftdio_sio...  I see they are included on the larger lxde images.  I will check your 3rd party repo next.

I can extract the missing modules from the lxde image manually, but I didn't want to do this if there is a more standard way of doing this -- I expect to do this several times.

thank you!

William

Robert Nelson

Dec 15, 2014, 8:43:35 PM12/15/14
to Beagle Board
On Mon, Dec 15, 2014 at 6:04 PM, William Welch <bvw...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I love the work you are doing Robert -- thank you!
>
> I especially like the lean/small 'console' flasher images, but I have yet to
> figure out the best way to add missing modules -- for example ftdio_sio...
> I see they are included on the larger lxde images. I will check your 3rd
> party repo next.
>
> I can extract the missing modules from the lxde image manually, but I didn't
> want to do this if there is a more standard way of doing this -- I expect to
> do this several times.

They should have the same kernel/modules, which one are we missing?

I know the lxqt (with v3.14.x) is not 100% in sync with the v3.8.x
used on the lxde/console..

William Welch

Dec 15, 2014, 10:06:49 PM12/15/14
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
My mistake, I am very sorry. The ftdi driver is there on this console flasher image.  What is missing on the flasher, is the firmware for my wifi -- htc_9271.fw

However, on the uSD card image, after switching to the TI kernel, via update_kernel.sh there seem to be no ftdi_sio module.  This may not matter -- I am not sure that I would use the TI kernel, except that if I understand correctly, it is considered a 'long term' version.

by the way, for my use case, eMMC reliability and USB host support are the key factors. So I am attempting to evaluate each of your offerings.

Sorry for the confusion,

William

Robert Nelson

Dec 15, 2014, 10:56:41 PM12/15/14
to Beagle Board
On Mon, Dec 15, 2014 at 9:06 PM, William Welch <bvw...@gmail.com> wrote:
> My mistake, I am very sorry. The ftdi driver is there on this console
> flasher image. What is missing on the flasher, is the firmware for my wifi
> -- htc_9271.fw

So the firmware should be in the lxde image.

However, for the console image, the goal was to be as minimal as
possible and still be able to flash the eMMC... So while yes, this
means it'll be missing firmware/etc, it should be a nice simple base
for everyone to work off of.

> However, on the uSD card image, after switching to the TI kernel, via
> update_kernel.sh there seem to be no ftdi_sio module. This may not matter
> -- I am not sure that I would use the TI kernel, except that if I understand
> correctly, it is considered a 'long term' version.

Ah! My mind wasn't clear on what you meant on ftdi_sio. So yes i'll
add the configs to the default v3.14.x branch. ;) I just re-fixed the
lcd's with r41 today but i'll start adding more configs by default.

> by the way, for my use case, eMMC reliability and USB host support are the
> key factors. So I am attempting to evaluate each of your offerings.

For that, v3.14.x is your best choice, btw, you should also make sure
you've upraded to r41:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install linux-image-3.14.26-ti-r41
sudo reboot

As there was an ethernet & usb fix in the ti merge from today included:

https://github.com/RobertCNelson/ti-linux-kernel/compare/c5591108a697733b6370ef8682802e0112a6c4e7...f733aa036398f9e8578f90406a90a709e00cf60f

William Welch

Dec 15, 2014, 11:04:45 PM12/15/14
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
Very good, I did notice that there was a ti-r41 update.

To follow-up, for those of us trying to add to the (very nice -- lean is good ) console flasher image, is there a way to add missing firmware via a script/repo, or should I plan on grabbing missing items manually?

I could set up my own in-house variation of your flasher, using your tools, I know. But it seems like others would benefit from a central location.

thank you again!

William

Robert Nelson

Dec 15, 2014, 11:09:19 PM12/15/14
to Beagle Board
On Mon, Dec 15, 2014 at 10:04 PM, William Welch <bvw...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Very good, I did notice that there was a ti-r41 update.
>
> To follow-up, for those of us trying to add to the (very nice -- lean is
> good ) console flasher image, is there a way to add missing firmware via a
> script/repo, or should I plan on grabbing missing items manually?

For, htc_9271.fw:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install firmware-atheros

Then you'll have it. ;)

> I could set up my own in-house variation of your flasher, using your tools,
> I know. But it seems like others would benefit from a central location.

William Welch

Dec 15, 2014, 11:19:39 PM12/15/14
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
oops, I should have known there would be a debian package for various firmware...  Very nice!

thanks for your great work, and your patience.

William

Jaime Fernández-Caro Belmonte

Dec 17, 2014, 12:45:42 PM12/17/14
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
Hello Robert,

Great release, I´ve been checking Console 7.7 and so far is working like a charm!

Would be possible to have a Jessie Console release also?

Best regards and Feliz Navidad! :-)

Robert Nelson

Dec 18, 2014, 6:59:32 PM12/18/14
to Beagle Board
Just a small update, "[FAILED] Failed to start Hostname Service." is
now fixed, just noise from a mis-configured kernel config.. update not
release yet, waiting for ti to rebase on the new v3.14.x from
kernel.org

Graham Haddock

Dec 18, 2014, 8:17:04 PM12/18/14
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
Robert:

Thanks for the update.
Looking forward to a clean 'jessie' release.

Thanks for all your work.

--- Graham

==

William Welch

Dec 25, 2014, 7:22:57 AM12/25/14
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
The updated TI kernel -r43, with ftdio_sio module included, is working nicely.

thanks!

William

Rick Mann

Dec 25, 2014, 5:25:09 PM12/25/14
to beagl...@googlegroups.com

On Friday, December 12, 2014 3:16:23 PM UTC-6, RobertCNelson wrote:

> 2: This is open to more users, if you need something packaged and
> distributed that is open source, ping us.

How about libpruio?

http://users.freebasic-portal.de/tjf/Projekte/libpruio/doc/html/

Thanks for all the hard work!

--
Rick Mann
rm...@latencyzero.com

Ian Woloschin

Dec 27, 2014, 9:49:02 AM12/27/14
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
Does this image have pre-built overlays for GPIO control?  I took a look in /lib/firmware but couldn't find anything, and I'm wondering if that should be included by default?

Otherwise this is pretty nice!  Went from a pile of parts to a working project in a day or two without worrying about the OS at all, other than figuring out how to enable the GPIO mux mode.

Rick Mann

Dec 27, 2014, 5:10:03 PM12/27/14
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
What did you do to get GPIO mux working? I've got a working system and am terrified to change it to anything else right now, for fear of having to spend weeks re-learning how to do everything.
> --

Rick Mann
rm...@latencyzero.com

Robert Nelson

Dec 27, 2014, 5:13:10 PM12/27/14
to Beagle Board
On Sat, Dec 27, 2014 at 8:49 AM, Ian Woloschin <iwolo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Does this image have pre-built overlays for GPIO control? I took a look in
> /lib/firmware but couldn't find anything, and I'm wondering if that should
> be included by default?

They are "built-in" we removed them from /lib/firmware as users
thought they could "change" them, which they couldn't (as they were
"built-in")

> Otherwise this is pretty nice! Went from a pile of parts to a working
> project in a day or two without worrying about the OS at all, other than
> figuring out how to enable the GPIO mux mode.

Robert Nelson

Dec 27, 2014, 5:13:37 PM12/27/14
to Beagle Board
On Thu, Dec 25, 2014 at 4:24 PM, Rick Mann <rm...@latencyzero.com> wrote:

> On Friday, December 12, 2014 3:16:23 PM UTC-6, RobertCNelson wrote:
>
>> 2: This is open to more users, if you need something packaged and
>> distributed that is open source, ping us.
>
> How about libpruio?
>
> http://users.freebasic-portal.de/tjf/Projekte/libpruio/doc/html/
>
> Thanks for all the hard work!

Thanks Rick, i'll look into this..

Rick Mann

Dec 27, 2014, 5:22:26 PM12/27/14
to beagl...@googlegroups.com

> On Dec 27, 2014, at 14:13 , Robert Nelson <robert...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Thu, Dec 25, 2014 at 4:24 PM, Rick Mann <rm...@latencyzero.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Friday, December 12, 2014 3:16:23 PM UTC-6, RobertCNelson wrote:
>>
>>> 2: This is open to more users, if you need something packaged and
>>> distributed that is open source, ping us.
>>
>> How about libpruio?
>>
>> http://users.freebasic-portal.de/tjf/Projekte/libpruio/doc/html/
>>
>> Thanks for all the hard work!
>
> Thanks Rick, i'll look into this..

Thanks, Robert. It's a complicated project because it uses FreeBasic, and I'm not sure if that's needed to build it or use it. For those of us who want to just use it from C, maybe the basic package could install a built version and not install the FreeBasic compiler.

Having said that, my project doesn't really need it currently, so I'd make it a lower priority than other things.

--
Rick Mann
rm...@latencyzero.com

Robert Nelson

Dec 27, 2014, 5:25:46 PM12/27/14
to Beagle Board
As long as freebasic is in debian's repo it should be pretty straight
forward. ;)

Just going thru the Christmas backlog. ;) But when Gerald get's back,
thru the new user/spam queue they'll probally be lots and lots of
questions. :)

Ian Woloschin

Dec 28, 2014, 10:32:16 AM12/28/14
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
So where'd they go?  Or, what's the naming convention of them?

I've written a simple Python library to use for GPIO control on my projects, and I want the whole thing to be automated.  The sysfs part is easy, but I couldn't find any overlays, and I'd rather not make my own overlay for each GPIO pin.

-Ian

William Hermans

Dec 28, 2014, 10:53:56 AM12/28/14
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
Next time try looking a little harder for *something*

TJF

Dec 28, 2014, 12:03:47 PM12/28/14
to beagl...@googlegroups.com

Am Samstag, 27. Dezember 2014 23:22:26 UTC+1 schrieb Rick M:

> On Dec 27, 2014, at 14:13 , Robert Nelson <robert...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Thu, Dec 25, 2014 at 4:24 PM, Rick Mann <rm...@latencyzero.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Friday, December 12, 2014 3:16:23 PM UTC-6, RobertCNelson wrote:
>>
>>> 2: This is open to more users, if you need something packaged and
>>> distributed that is open source, ping us.
>>
>> How about libpruio?
>>
>>        http://users.freebasic-portal.de/tjf/Projekte/libpruio/doc/html/
>>
>> Thanks for all the hard work!
>
> Thanks Rick, i'll look into this..

Thanks, Robert. It's a complicated project because it uses FreeBasic, and I'm not sure if that's needed to build it or use it. For those of us who want to just use it from C, maybe the basic package could install a built version and not install the FreeBasic compiler.

The first versions libpruio-0.0.x needed the FreeBASIC compiler installed, to build and to use the library.

That changed since libpruio-0.2. The binary libprussdrv.so and the C header pruio.h are included in the package. To use the library from C code there's only one further dependency named libprussdrv. (Only to [re-]build libpruio itself, it needs a modified pasm assembler and the FreeBASIC compiler.)

From my point of view the problem is the inbuild universal overlay, which doesn't meet all needs of libpruio. It'd need the libpruio-00A0.dtbo features in-build in the distro. (All current features can get retained, when the config-pin tool from C. Steinkuehler gets adapted.)

BR

TJF

Dec 28, 2014, 12:38:09 PM12/28/14
to beagl...@googlegroups.com

Am Sonntag, 28. Dezember 2014 18:03:47 UTC+1 schrieb TJF:
.... The binary libprussdrv.so and ...

 A typo, sorry!

The binary libpruio.so and ...

Robert Nelson

Dec 28, 2014, 12:48:49 PM12/28/14
to Beagle Board
If your happy with your current "libpruio-00A0.dtbo" i can add it to
the default built..

Robert Nelson

Dec 28, 2014, 12:55:31 PM12/28/14
to Beagle Board
On Sun, Dec 28, 2014 at 9:32 AM, Ian Woloschin <iwolo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> So where'd they go? Or, what's the naming convention of them?
>
> I've written a simple Python library to use for GPIO control on my projects,
> and I want the whole thing to be automated. The sysfs part is easy, but I
> couldn't find any overlays, and I'd rather not make my own overlay for each
> GPIO pin.

You can view the whole list in System-map

cat /boot/System.map-`uname -r` | dtbo

c0559bec r _fw_cape_bebopr_R2_dtbo_bin
c055c3ac r _fw_cape_bebopr_ena_R2_dtbo_bin
c055ead4 r _fw_cape_bebopr_brdg_R2_dtbo_bin
c0561020 r _fw_cape_bone_2g_emmc1_dtbo_bin
c0561514 r _fw_cape_bone_adafruit_lcd_00A0_dtbo_bin
c0562098 r _fw_cape_bone_dvi_00A0_dtbo_bin
c0562a14 r _fw_cape_bone_dvi_00A1_dtbo_bin
c0563918 r _fw_cape_bone_dvi_00A2_dtbo_bin
c056429c r _fw_cape_bone_hexy_00A0_dtbo_bin
c0565300 r _fw_cape_bone_lcd3_00A0_dtbo_bin
c05667d0 r _fw_cape_bone_lcd3_00A2_dtbo_bin

TJF

Dec 28, 2014, 1:03:50 PM12/28/14
to beagl...@googlegroups.com

Am Sonntag, 28. Dezember 2014 18:48:49 UTC+1 schrieb RobertCNelson:
If your happy with your current "libpruio-00A0.dtbo" i can add it to
the default built..

Meanwhile I made some adaptations for the next release (regarding QEP pins). I'd prefer to send you the latest version (of all related files).

What about interferences? libpruio-00A0.dtbo claims the same header pins as the universal overlay (= all free pins)?

BR

Ian Woloschin

Dec 28, 2014, 9:20:47 PM12/28/14
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
Thanks!

Does the cape-universaln overlay play nice with I2C?  I'm having trouble with it being unable to read /dev/i2c-2 (which is created after loading cape-universaln).  Trying to run the following fails, both by taking a long time to run (about 1 second per address) and also by not finding my devices at 0x27, 0x48, and 0x77:

root@beaglebone:~# i2cdetect -y -r 2
     0  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  a  b  c  d  e  f
00:          -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
10: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
20: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
30: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
40: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
50: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
60: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
70: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --

The expected result (tested against the BB-I2C1 overlay) is the command returns quickly, and find a device at those three addresses.

root@beaglebone:~# echo BB-I2C1 > /sys/devices/bone_capemgr.9/slots
root@beaglebone:~# i2cdetect -y -r 2
     0  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  a  b  c  d  e  f
00:          -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
10: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
20: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- 27 -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
30: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
40: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- 48 -- -- -- -- -- -- --
50: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
60: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
70: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- 77

Elias Bakken

Jan 3, 2015, 7:21:40 AM1/3/15
to Robert Nelson, Beagle Board
Robert, what is the status on the SDK for the SGX engine in Debian? I see the kernel modules for kernel 3.18 are available as packages, but
the rest of the SDK does not seem to be available. I found your repo with what looks like a script for building the SDK, so I'm trying that,
but please let me know if I'm way off : ) https://github.com/RobertCNelson/bb-kernel/tree/am33x-v3.18

Kind regards,
-Elias

2: This is open to more users, if you need something packaged and
distributed that is open source, ping us.

Regards,

--
Robert Nelson
http://www.rcn-ee.com/

Robert Nelson

Jan 4, 2015, 6:53:59 PM1/4/15
to Elias Bakken, Beagle Board
On Sat, Jan 3, 2015 at 6:21 AM, Elias Bakken <elias....@gmail.com> wrote:
> Robert, what is the status on the SDK for the SGX engine in Debian? I see
> the kernel modules for kernel 3.18 are available as packages, but
> the rest of the SDK does not seem to be available. I found your repo with
> what looks like a script for building the SDK, so I'm trying that,
> but please let me know if I'm way off : )
> https://github.com/RobertCNelson/bb-kernel/tree/am33x-v3.18

Hi Elias,

It should just work by running the "sgx_create_package.sh" script, to
package up the userspace modules..

I'm hoping to eventually be able to package the sgx blobs, that's why
atleast the kernel modules are installable now..

Elias Bakken

Jan 5, 2015, 9:42:21 AM1/5/15
to Robert Nelson, Beagle Board
Thanks, Robert, I got it working!
However, the latest 3.14 and 3.18 kernels do not have the cape manager set up it seems.
What is the preferred way to load a DT overlay for those kernels?

I see the 3.19 has capemgr in mainline which is great:
http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.hardware.beagleboard.user/77226
Is my best bet to wait for that? Surely, there must be a way to handle overlays with a kernel that also has
support for the SGX modules, right?

Any feedback is welcome : )

Kind regards,
-Elias

Robert Nelson

Jan 5, 2015, 10:08:05 AM1/5/15
On Mon, Jan 5, 2015 at 8:42 AM, Elias Bakken <elias....@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks, Robert, I got it working!
> However, the latest 3.14 and 3.18 kernels do not have the cape manager set
> up it seems.
> What is the preferred way to load a DT overlay for those kernels?
>
> I see the 3.19 has capemgr in mainline which is great:
> http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.hardware.beagleboard.user/77226
> Is my best bet to wait for that? Surely, there must be a way to handle
> overlays with a kernel that also has
> support for the SGX modules, right?

For v3.19-rc2+: this is the patch i've been using:

https://github.com/RobertCNelson/linux-dev/blob/master/patches/overlay/0001-OF-DT-Overlay-configfs-interface-v3.patch

But it just broke the build last night.. I need to figure out why, so
it'll atleast be enabled in my rc3 build.

Walter Schilling

Jan 28, 2015, 10:26:45 PM1/28/15
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
RObert:

Quick question on the status of this and the "Official" Beaglebone images from Beaglebone.org.  How stable is the release of 1/25, and does it appear that it will be heading to the official Beaglebone.org page anytime soon?  I'm getting ready to teach a class starting in March, and I'm trying to figure out which is the stablest point to start my work.

Walt

Robert Nelson

Jan 28, 2015, 10:38:29 PM1/28/15
to Beagle Board
Well, during testing of 1-25 CircuitCo found one more issue, which was
just fixed in 1-27.

(push button shutdown)..

I might know more tomorrow.. So right now, i can only assume 1-27 will be used..

Walter Schilling

Jan 28, 2015, 11:13:13 PM1/28/15
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
In other words, it sounds like there's a pretty good chance 1-27 is very close to what the final version will be (much closer than the 5.14.2014 that is out there now

William Pretty Security

Jan 28, 2015, 11:23:06 PM1/28/15
to beagl...@googlegroups.com

Is there some way I can find out what features are enabled in 1-27 ?

For example RAID support J

Robert Nelson

Jan 28, 2015, 11:35:12 PM1/28/15
to Beagle Board
On Wed, Jan 28, 2015 at 10:21 PM, William Pretty Security
<bill....@xplornet.com> wrote:
> Is there some way I can find out what features are enabled in 1-27 ?
>
> For example RAID support J

https://github.com/beagleboard/linux/blob/205cbd63c832ed34695d94985f5a404d37a18546/arch/arm/configs/bb.org_defconfig

Remember "the image" is about having everything work together in a solid base..

It's up to you guys to develop the fancy things we pull in..

William Pretty Security

Jan 29, 2015, 8:56:19 AM1/29/15
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, Robert

Jan 30, 2015, 1:40:28 PM1/30/15
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
Hi Robert,

Thank you for your work in all these images.

I just flashed my BBB with the image: BBB-eMMC-flasher-debian-7.8-console-armhf-2015-01-27-2gb.img.xz

My first problem is that usb0 is not detected, so I can't set up USB networking. I thought this was an issue only with the recent kernels and not with any of the 3.8.13x.

Can you suggest some way to solve this issue, should stick with the latest official image from beagleboard.org, or should I try to build the image myself?
The main reason I avoid the official image is because I want a system with just the console and a basic set of installed packages, so I install only what is really necessary for my applications.

Thank you.
Regards

Robert Nelson

Jan 30, 2015, 1:46:34 PM1/30/15
to Beagle Board
On Fri, Jan 30, 2015 at 12:40 PM, RFA <ruialv...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Robert,
>
> Thank you for your work in all these images.
>
> I just flashed my BBB with the image:
> BBB-eMMC-flasher-debian-7.8-console-armhf-2015-01-27-2gb.img.xz
>
> My first problem is that usb0 is not detected, so I can't set up USB
> networking. I thought this was an issue only with the recent kernels and not
> with any of the 3.8.13x.
>
> Can you suggest some way to solve this issue, should stick with the latest
> official image from beagleboard.org, or should I try to build the image
> myself?
> The main reason I avoid the official image is because I want a system with
> just the console and a basic set of installed packages, so I install only
> what is really necessary for my applications.

So i just fixed this about an hour ago, "g_ether" wasn't working the
way i wanted vs how "g_multi" had been working in the dual partition
setup...

https://github.com/RobertCNelson/boot-scripts/commit/e6fd16e64a43b2c68b392a6f6c1c092848974248

Since git isn't installed, you need to manually:

cd /opt/scripts/boot/
rm am335x_evm.sh
wget https://raw.githubusercontent.com/RobertCNelson/boot-scripts/master/boot/am335x_evm.sh

The "console" image still doesn't have "udhcpd" installed, so you'll
still have to manually add that..

RFA

Jan 30, 2015, 6:54:39 PM1/30/15
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
Thank you so much Robert.

Problem solved!

If bb.org is going to distribute an offical new image, would it be possible to suggest them to also make available a striped down console Debian image? I'm sure many people would find it useful as a stable starting point,instead of the typical official with "everything" included.

Best regards.

Robert Nelson

Jan 30, 2015, 6:59:20 PM1/30/15
to Beagle Board
On Fri, Jan 30, 2015 at 5:54 PM, RFA <ruialv...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thank you so much Robert.
>
> Problem solved!
>
> If bb.org is going to distribute an offical new image, would it be possible
> to suggest them to also make available a striped down console Debian image?
> I'm sure many people would find it useful as a stable starting point,instead
> of the typical official with "everything" included.

When we cut a release, "all" images based on that date will be listed here:

http://elinux.org/Beagleboard:BeagleBoneBlack_Debian#2014-05-14

Just like the old release. ;)

gls...@gmail.com

Feb 7, 2015, 6:23:29 PM2/7/15
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Many thanks for your work on this. Any known issues with serial ports UART4 and UART1? I don't seem to be able to cat them with with the Jessie 2015-02-01 flasher snapshot. They're enabled and the devices are there. No issues with the current 2014 image.

Many thanks

Sebastian

Feb 8, 2015, 6:25:44 PM2/8/15
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
Hi Robert, thanks for all the effort you put into this.

I'm trying the 2015-01-06 testing release with the 3.14 kernel and have some issues and questions:
  1. Since there are SGX modules availible, does that mean that hardware accelerated graphics are working on this image?
  2. I'm having trouble understanding the new devicetree setup. I've had a custom devicetreeoverlay in the old image that was working as expected but I don't know how to activate it with the new kernel. Though I was able to find this page, I'm not sure how to interpret the bulletpoints in there to get it working.
  3. While playing around with the above mentioned image, I ran into some problems where I don't know if they are bugs or if I did something wrong:
    1. After flashing the image to my eMMC, then running the update_kernel.sh script and rebooting, the time and date of my BBB is set somewhere in march 2015 (in the future). This causes errors with some utilities complaining about dates in the future, like apt-get.
    2. Also related to apt-get, but have also seen wget complaining about invalid https certificates. Don't know what causes this but it's very annoying and I don't know of a fix to this.
    3. The USB wifi dongle I am using (Ralink 2870) is working fine, but sometimes the troughput gets very low (like 5-10kb/s) and dmesg shows TONS of this error message:
      [10001.306251] ieee80211 phy0: rt2800usb_entry_txstatus_timeout: Warning - TX status timeout for entry 9 in queue 2
      Also, the syslog daemon is shooting up in CPU usage due to these messages coming in every couple milli seconds.
      Propably related to this problem: When booting up, my BBB is making a 80 second pause while trying to load the firmware for the dongle. Here's a section of my dmesg:
      [    9.984258] ieee80211 phy0: rt2x00_set_rt: Info - RT chipset 5390, rev 0502 detected
      [    9.998530] ieee80211 phy0: rt2x00_set_rf: Info - RF chipset 5370 detected
      [   10.019158] ieee80211 phy0: Selected rate control algorithm 'minstrel_ht'
      [   10.024321] usbcore: registered new interface driver rt2800usb
      [   90.122572] ieee80211 phy0: rt2x00lib_request_firmware: Info - Loading firmware file 'rt2870.bin'
      [   90.140837] ieee80211 phy0: rt2x00lib_request_firmware: Info - Firmware detected - version: 0.29
Perhaps you could shed some light on the issues or point me to a tutorial.

Thanks, Sebastian

Charles Steinkuehler

Feb 8, 2015, 6:41:38 PM2/8/15
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
On 2/8/2015 5:25 PM, Sebastian wrote:

> 2. I'm having trouble understanding the new devicetree setup. I've had a
> custom devicetreeoverlay in the old image that was working as expected but
> I don't know how to activate it with the new kernel. Though I was able to
> find this <http://elinux.org/Beagleboard:Capes_3.8_to_3.14#Custom_dtb>
> page, I'm not sure how to interpret the bulletpoints in there to get it
> working.

There are no device-tree overlays with the 3.14 kernel. You'll have to
merge your device-tree changes with the main BBB device tree and build a
new dtb file.

> 3. While playing around with the above mentioned image, I ran into some
> problems where I don't know if they are bugs or if I did something wrong:
> 2. Also related to apt-get, but have also seen wget complaining about
> invalid https certificates. Don't know what causes this but it's very
> annoying and I don't know of a fix to this.

This is likely caused by an incorrect date/time setting. Verify your
local clock is correct prior to trying to do other network related things.

--
Charles Steinkuehler
cha...@steinkuehler.net

Sebastian

Feb 9, 2015, 7:16:35 AM2/9/15
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
There are no device-tree overlays with the 3.14 kernel.  You'll have to
merge your device-tree changes with the main BBB device tree and build a
new dtb file.

Can you please elaborate a little on that? Can I use my old .dts file or do I need to recreate it somehow? If so, where can I find examples of how it needs to look like? Where do I need to place the dts once it's ready before calling "make" on the dtb-rebuilder?

Thanks, Sebastian

doog

Mar 2, 2015, 12:15:26 PM3/2/15
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
FWIW, I grabbed the SD image(not console version)( bone-debian-7.8-machinekit-armhf-2015-02-22-4gb.img ) yesterday and just tested USB networking and seems to work fine without modifications with a Ubuntu 13.04 laptop. Well, I did have to add "-b CRAMPS" to the end of the hal_temp_bbb line in CRAMPS.hal before my temperature thermistors were working.

Doug

Jaime Fernández-Caro Belmonte

Mar 3, 2015, 1:02:03 PM3/3/15
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
Hello I have upgraded from:
to:

And I have problems with this file:
sudo nano /etc/network/interfaces

Seems that Ethernet configuration is not taking it from there as usual... and WiFi configuration that I put in there is not valid also. What changed? Where should I configure IP and WiFi now on this release?

Thanks and regards!

Robert Nelson

Mar 3, 2015, 1:12:16 PM3/3/15
to Beagle Board
For those images, /etc/network/interfaces is the correct place..

If you pastebin.com your interfaces file we can take a look at it:

Jaime Fernández-Caro Belmonte

Mar 7, 2015, 3:30:34 PM3/7/15
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
Hello Robert,

I´ve been on a trip, sorry for delay. I pasted in here: http://pastebin.com/BmDfWSSM

I´ve already flashed your rootfs a lot of times and this time with this release something is diferent and wrong! As you can see primary network eth is disabled but is working! and altough I modified my private password for wifi, is well configured (as always) and is not able to link. If I change release to the one before then is working properly...

Other question, are you planing to include this console jessie under /rootfs/bb.org/testing/ ???

Thanks for your time!

ezah

May 11, 2016, 5:40:11 AM5/11/16
to BeagleBoard
hye robert,

i had problem here.

i need to plot the real time (i'm using light sensor) by using the gnuplot. i'm currently using the beaglebone black and running python programming. can u help me solve this problem.

jpmas...@gmail.com

Aug 1, 2016, 4:08:56 PM8/1/16
to BeagleBoard
Hi Robert,

I built a custom kernel for an NTC CHIP and I am experiencing the " Failed to start Hostname Service." problem.  Do you happen to recall what the issue was in your kernel config that lead to your instance of " Failed to start Hostname Service."?

Thank you,
John

On Thursday, December 18, 2014 at 6:59:32 PM UTC-5, RobertCNelson wrote:
On Fri, Dec 12, 2014 at 5:52 PM, Robert Nelson <robert...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 12, 2014 at 5:44 PM, Graham <gra...@flex-radio.com> wrote:
>> Robert:
>> Thanks for the new release.
>>
>> I installed on a BBB Rev-C and get the follow boot failure involving the
>> Hostname service.
>>
>> Is there something I need to add or remove?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> --- Graham
>>
>> ==

>> [    7.727431] systemd-fsck[151]: rootfs: clean, 70870/230144 files,
>> 404392/919296 blocks
>> [   15.925018] libphy: PHY 4a101000.mdio:01 not found
>> [   15.930059] net eth0: phy 4a101000.mdio:01 not found on slave 1
>> [FAILED] Failed to start Hostname Service.
>> See 'systemctl status systemd-hostnamed.service' for details.
>> [  OK  ] Started Light Display Manager.
>> [  OK  ] Created slice user-1000.slice.
>>          Starting User Manager for UID 1000...
>>
>> Debian GNU/Linux 8 BBB3 ttyO0
>
> I'm "mostly" sure this is a kernel config issue, i still need to
> re-review systemd's requirements.

Just a small update, "[FAILED] Failed to start Hostname Service." is
now fixed, just noise from a mis-configured kernel config.. update not
release yet, waiting for ti to rebase on the new v3.14.x from
kernel.org

Robert Nelson

Aug 1, 2016, 4:27:55 PM8/1/16
to Beagle Board, jpmas...@gmail.com
On Mon, Aug 1, 2016 at 2:34 PM, <jpmas...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Robert,
>
> I built a custom kernel for an NTC CHIP and I am experiencing the " Failed
> to start Hostname Service." problem. Do you happen to recall what the issue
> was in your kernel config that lead to your instance of " Failed to start
> Hostname Service."?

Sorry, looking at my git commits around that week... i had merged us
closer to debian.org's .config..

https://github.com/RobertCNelson/ti-linux-kernel-dev/commits/ti-linux-3.14.y?page=7

Since that's^ so massive, first double check systemd's .config
requirements here:

https://github.com/systemd/systemd/blob/master/README#L37

Regards,
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/beagleboard/31488b56-404d-44d4-a35e-eaaf503e7d70%40googlegroups.com.

Robert Nelson
https://rcn-ee.com/

Mrudula Chougule

Nov 11, 2016, 6:24:21 AM11/11/16
to BeagleBoard
Hi,

I am using repository and steps for building the same mentioned in below link;
https://eewiki.net/display/linuxonarm/BeagleBone+Black#BeagleBoneBlack-HDMI

1) I have flashed U-boot Image to internal Flash of Beagle Bone Black. When I try to boot-up from internal flash without having kernel image in flash and without connecting SD card, it gives me BOOTP messages, which I want to disable and want to display some message on LCD screen like "Please Insert SD Card" Can I do this in U-boot code.

2) When I connect LCD Monitor to Beagle Bone Black once it is booted with images built using above steps, it is taking time to turn ON display and after some time giving memory errors. But When I run Beagle Bine Black Debian image it works fine. Please suggest how to configure this as it works in Debian case.

Kindly let me know your feedback / Suggestions on the same.