Serial breaks on Angstrom login

IorekKatze

Apr 3, 2010, 11:10:57 PM4/3/10
to Beagle Board
Hi, I'm a new user trying to get set up for a Roomba project. Right
now I am connecting to the serial port on the beagleboard from an
RS-232 port on my host. Everything works when just booting the beagle
without an SD card. But if I load Angstrom (newest files for the
beagle demo from angstrom-distribution.org), everything prints fine up
to the login, then it gets weird. When I first type root, it always
shows up as ¹oot. I can delete it, and retype root <enter>, which is
when all the letters really go wrong. the prompt shows up as
"òïïô@båagìåbïaòdºþ# oot" and only these letters show up at all if I
enter them: "ab d gh k mn p s uv yz12 4 78 ". The rest are just
blank.

I can log into Angstrom via DVI monitor and USB hub, and the Angstrom
install seems fine.

Serial Angstrom login:

beagleboard login: ¹oot
òïïô@båagìåbïaòdºþ# oot

I've tried putty and teraterm with the same results. I managed to get
it to work once, but I have not been able to repeat. I haven't been
able to find anything on this site or any others about serial working
until Angstrom logs in, so any assistance would be greatly
appreciated.

Serial settings:
115200
8 bits
1 stop
parity: none
flow ctrl: none

Carson Au

Apr 4, 2010, 1:24:04 AM4/4/10
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I am a new Beagleboard user. I have the EXACT same problem/symptoms as you do.

Regards,
Carson

emeb

Apr 4, 2010, 1:38:11 AM4/4/10
to Beagle Board
I'm _not_ a new user and I've also seen this on the latest Angstrom
demo. I don't see it on either the Sakoman r11 or home-built OE kernel/
root though, so I'd recommend you try that route. You might also try a
narcissus build.

Eric

On Apr 3, 10:24 pm, Carson Au <carson...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am a new Beagleboard user. I have the EXACT same problem/symptoms as you
> do.
>
> Regards,
> Carson
>

> > beagleboard...@googlegroups.com<beagleboard%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>

Maxim Podbereznyi

Apr 4, 2010, 3:00:30 AM4/4/10
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
hi guys!

confirmed! Angstrom from the stable branch works fine. The latest Koen's image has this weird behavior.

I have tested MLO, u-boot and rootfs from http://www.angstrom-distribution.org/demo/beagleboard/  precisely:

Tested in Hyperterm and putty. Tried ANSI and VT100 terminal modes.

1) u-boot console works perfect both in printing and in user input
2) Angstrom prints perfect to console
3) Any user input in console seem to be damaged for a single input. If you type a sequence of characters then the first symbol is damaged, you backspace it and continue to enter characters. After that usually console begins to print rubbish. Anyway "reset" command fixes the console

regards,
Max

Koen Kooi

Apr 4, 2010, 3:22:47 AM4/4/10
to beagl...@googlegroups.com

Op 4 apr 2010, om 05:10 heeft IorekKatze het volgende geschreven:

> Hi, I'm a new user trying to get set up for a Roomba project. Right
> now I am connecting to the serial port on the beagleboard from an
> RS-232 port on my host. Everything works when just booting the beagle
> without an SD card. But if I load Angstrom (newest files for the
> beagle demo from angstrom-distribution.org), everything prints fine up
> to the login, then it gets weird. When I first type root, it always
> shows up as ¹oot. I can delete it, and retype root <enter>, which is
> when all the letters really go wrong. the prompt shows up as
> "òïïô@båagìåbïaòdºþ# oot" and only these letters show up at all if I
> enter them: "ab d gh k mn p s uv yz12 4 78 ". The rest are just
> blank.

That's a 'feature' of the omap cpuidle code: http://www.elinux.org/OMAP_Power_Management
The uart goes to sleep after 5 seconds and will loose some bits on wakeup.

regards,

Koen

> I can log into Angstrom via DVI monitor and USB hub, and the Angstrom
> install seems fine.
>

> Serial Angstrom login:
>
> beagleboard login: ¹oot
> òïïô@båagìåbïaòdºþ# oot
>

> I've tried putty and teraterm with the same results. I managed to get
> it to work once, but I have not been able to repeat. I haven't been
> able to find anything on this site or any others about serial working
> until Angstrom logs in, so any assistance would be greatly
> appreciated.
>
> Serial settings:
> 115200
> 8 bits
> 1 stop
> parity: none
> flow ctrl: none

IorekKatze

Apr 6, 2010, 1:44:01 AM4/6/10
to Beagle Board
The 5 second sleep seems to be different. That only effects the first
letter on wakeup.

I tried Angstrom-Beagleboard-demo-image-glibc-ipk-2009.X-
stable-20090612--beagleboard.rootfs.tar.bz2 and it starts out with the
same problem. Max, what do you mean by reset command? "Reset
terminal" in putty just clears the screen, and I can't type "reset,"
as only the s shows up. If I do a system reboot using the reset
button, then the serial terminal seems to work fine. At least it has
twice in a row now. Thanks!

On Apr 4, 2:22 am, Koen Kooi <k...@beagleboard.org> wrote:
> Op 4 apr 2010, om 05:10 heeft IorekKatze het volgende geschreven:
>
> > Hi, I'm a new user trying to get set up for a Roomba project.  Right

> > now I am connecting to theserialport on the beagleboard from an

> > RS-232 port on my host.  Everything works when just booting the beagle
> > without an SD card.  But if I load Angstrom (newest files for the
> > beagle demo from angstrom-distribution.org), everything prints fine up
> > to the login, then it gets weird.  When I first type root, it always
> > shows up as ¹oot.  I can delete it, and retype root <enter>, which is
> > when all the letters really go wrong.  the prompt shows up as
> > "òïïô@båagìåbïaòdºþ# oot" and only these letters show up at all if I
> > enter them: "ab d  gh  k mn p  s uv  yz12 4  78  ".  The rest are just
> > blank.
>
> That's a 'feature' of the omap cpuidle code:http://www.elinux.org/OMAP_Power_Management
> The uart goes to sleep after 5 seconds and will loose some bits on wakeup.
>
> regards,
>
> Koen
>

> > I can log into Angstrom via DVI monitor and USB hub, and the Angstrom
> > install seems fine.
>

> >SerialAngstrom login:

Maxim Podbereznyy

Apr 6, 2010, 1:58:58 AM4/6/10
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
Hi!

On your Linux PC type:

man reset

and you will know a lot about the "reset" command. Also in google: "bash reset"

tallakt

Apr 6, 2010, 7:34:13 AM4/6/10
to Beagle Board
Hi everyone, I have a similar issue.

I have always had trouble with screen and the beagleboard console on
my machine, this applies to every angstrom kernel .32 I have used so
far, downloaded or self compiled ;-)

Every now and then the output from the beagleboard freezes, but
characters sent to the beagleboard seem to be transmitted fine for a
while after the freeze. If I restart screen, the output resumes as
normal. This is a minor issue for me, but annoying nontheless.

On the newest demo image, the problem is a bit worse:

I feel the frequency of freezes is greater, and when I write (or
sometimes on the login prompt/ascii graphic) transmitted characters
appear garbled (lots of funny characters and ??). In many cases I can
type characters and communication will resume as normal after a while
- other times it is impossible for me to write anything more unless
performing a reset with the reset button on the board or powering it
down.

cheers,
Tallak