Debug Linux kernel module on beagle bone

Yash Jain

May 22, 2015, 9:48:47 AM5/22/15
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
I am a beaglebone new bee,
I wanted to debug a kernel module on beagle bone,
I assume we can use CCS to debug code on beaglebone, I would like to know tools and interface required to debug kernel module on beagle bone.

Regards,
Yash.

Gerald Coley

May 22, 2015, 9:49:40 AM5/22/15
to beagl...@googlegroups.com

Message has been deleted

Robert Nelson

May 22, 2015, 2:48:32 PM5/22/15
to Beagle Board
On Fri, May 22, 2015 at 1:36 PM, rh_ <richard...@lavabit.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 22 May 2015 08:49:31 -0500
> Gerald Coley <ger...@beagleboard.org> wrote:
>
>> http://www.elinux.org/Beagleboard:BeagleBoneBlack#Optional_JTAG
>>
>> Gerald
>
> Here is a link to the part:
> https://www.samtec.com/ftppub/cpdf/FTR-1XX-XX-XX-D-X-XX-MKT.pdf
>
> My soldering skills might not be up to this task. If I try it I
> will have to convince myself that I have nothing to lose somehow.
>
> Oh I know, the BBB is a learning tool. Must pay my dues.
>
> I guess with 6 layers it would be impossible to have made the
> locking clip option for this part work. But I wonder how stout
> this connector will be if I am able to get it soldered on.

It just wouldn't fit properly in an Altoids Tin..

Regards,

--
Robert Nelson
https://rcn-ee.com/

William Hermans

May 22, 2015, 3:36:01 PM5/22/15
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
Isn't there some new fandangled way to debug the kernel by running it as an executable. As in Linux running it's self ? For the life of me, I can not recall the correct term . . .

Robert Nelson

May 22, 2015, 3:38:31 PM5/22/15
to Beagle Board
On Fri, May 22, 2015 at 2:35 PM, William Hermans <yyr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Isn't there some new fandangled way to debug the kernel by running it as an
> executable. As in Linux running it's self ? For the life of me, I can not
> recall the correct term . . .

kdb? it's also enabled by default... never personally used it thou..

William Hermans

May 22, 2015, 3:53:27 PM5/22/15
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
kdb? it's also enabled by default...  never personally used it thou..

I do not think so, no. Someone on these groups posted about something I had never heard about before, so I spent a couple hours googling and reading on the subject.

Basically, in make I believe it is an "ARCH" option, that builds the kernel as a standalone executable. Which can then be run *somehow* ( perhaps chroot env  ) on an already running Linux. Something akin perhaps to a virtual machine, without the virtual machine.

The idea anyway, is that you could debug a misbehaving kernel, withotu completely crashing the system it was running on. Also alleviating the need for a remote debug system.

Robert Nelson

May 22, 2015, 3:55:16 PM5/22/15
to Beagle Board
On Fri, May 22, 2015 at 2:53 PM, William Hermans <yyr...@gmail.com> wrote:
kdb? it's also enabled by default...  never personally used it thou..

I do not think so, no. Someone on these groups posted about something I had never heard about before, so I spent a couple hours googling and reading on the subject.

Basically, in make I believe it is an "ARCH" option, that builds the kernel as a standalone executable. Which can then be run *somehow* ( perhaps chroot env  ) on an already running Linux. Something akin perhaps to a virtual machine, without the virtual machine.

The idea anyway, is that you could debug a misbehaving kernel, withotu completely crashing the system it was running on. Also alleviating the need for a remote debug system.

Oh that's kexec!

Regards,

William Hermans

May 22, 2015, 4:05:09 PM5/22/15
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
Anyway, this will drive me nuts ( short trip ) until I figure it out / remember. As it seemed like a really cool / useful / just-the-sort-of-thing I'd love to toy with.

William Hermans

May 22, 2015, 4:09:22 PM5/22/15
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
Oh that's kexec!

Thats it ! thanks ;)

Anyway, I did want to mention perhaps this would be another option, but basically do not know if it could be used to debug modules as well ? I think so, but am not sure.

Anyway, some say the most effective way to debug a kernel module is by using printk() . . . but this is something I have no personal hands on experience with to date.