REV C Beagleone image flash: Won't take on different rev C boards?

Matt Maher Peterson

Sep 10, 2015, 12:41:46 PM9/10/15
to BeagleBoard
Hi,

I have a debian image I built with custom device tree and code that I have created.  I have copied and flashed this onto new beaglebones using this tool:

http://elinux.org/BeagleBone_Black_Extracting_eMMC_contents

This worked great untill a recent shipment of BBB REV C from element 14.  I can see a difference a between the two boards where the emmc chips are different the 'old rev c' has a kingston chip whereas the 'new rev c' has a different one with a number 4LA18 JWA06 and M with a circle.

When I use the tool mentioned above I get the proper led sequence tell me the emmc is being flashed (blinking once a second, then goes solid when finished).  On these new board the LED sequence starts off right but goes solids very quickly and seemingly no image has been copied?

What am I missing here??

Cheers,

Matt

Robert Nelson

Sep 10, 2015, 12:46:05 PM9/10/15
to Beagle Board
Nand/eMMC vary in size, the current eMMC's being used range in sizes:

#Micron 3744MB (bbb): 3925868544 bytes -> 3925.86 Megabyte
#Kingston 3688MB (bbb): 3867148288 bytes -> 3867.15 Megabyte
#Kingston 3648MB (bbb): 3825205248 bytes -> 3825.21 Megabyte

dd based image tools can't handle this. Use the rsync "flashers"...

Regards,

--
Robert Nelson
https://rcn-ee.com/

Matt Maher Peterson

Sep 10, 2015, 12:58:55 PM9/10/15
to BeagleBoard
rsync flashers?  could you provide more info or link?

Thanks

Robert Nelson

Sep 10, 2015, 1:46:25 PM9/10/15
to Beagle Board
On Thu, Sep 10, 2015 at 11:58 AM, Matt Maher Peterson
<matt.mahe...@hydro-care.com> wrote:
> rsync flashers? could you provide more info or link?

For this flasher image:
http://elinux.org/Beagleboard:BeagleBoneBlack_Debian#BBB_Rev_C_.284GB_eMMC.29

This rsync based script is what runs behind the scenes..

https://github.com/RobertCNelson/boot-scripts/blob/master/tools/eMMC/init-eMMC-flasher-v3.sh

Matt Maher Peterson

Sep 10, 2015, 1:58:28 PM9/10/15
to BeagleBoard
Sorry I should have been more clear.

So on a known good beaglebone that I have my custom debian installed on how do I make a copy of this on uSD card such that I flash another BBB with a different emmc chip.

Is the workflow like this:
1. Boot up known good Kingston BBB with custom image.
2. Insert a uSD card => 4GB
3. execute  /opt/scripts/tools/eMMC# ./beaglebone-black-make-microSD-flasher-from-eMMC.sh
4. Insert this card into a new BBB that needs to be flashed?

Am I understanding this properly?

Robert Nelson

Sep 10, 2015, 2:15:40 PM9/10/15
to Beagle Board
On Thu, Sep 10, 2015 at 12:58 PM, Matt Maher Peterson
<matt.mahe...@hydro-care.com> wrote:
> Sorry I should have been more clear.
>
> So on a known good beaglebone that I have my custom debian installed on how
> do I make a copy of this on uSD card such that I flash another BBB with a
> different emmc chip.
>
> Is the workflow like this:
> 1. Boot up known good Kingston BBB with custom image.
> 2. Insert a uSD card => 4GB
> 3. execute /opt/scripts/tools/
git pull
> 4. execute /opt/scripts/tools/eMMC#
> ./beaglebone-black-make-microSD-flasher-from-eMMC.sh
> 5. Insert this card into a new BBB that needs to be flashed?
>
> Am I understanding this properly?

Correct ;)

Matt Maher Peterson

Sep 10, 2015, 4:33:00 PM9/10/15
to BeagleBoard
Thanks that worked very well.

Owe you a beer!

Kind Regards.

Matt Maher Peterson

Oct 6, 2015, 4:36:39 PM10/6/15
to BeagleBoard
Hi Robert,

I am attempting this process again but now am getting:

/opt/scripts/tools# ./beaglebone-black-eMMC-flasher.sh
Error: script halting, system unrecognized...

How do I fix this?

Robert Nelson

Oct 6, 2015, 4:43:46 PM10/6/15
to Beagle Board
On Tue, Oct 6, 2015 at 3:36 PM, Matt Maher Peterson
<matt.mahe...@hydro-care.com> wrote:
> Hi Robert,
>
> I am attempting this process again but now am getting:
>
> /opt/scripts/tools# ./beaglebone-black-eMMC-flasher.sh
> Error: script halting, system unrecognized...
>
> How do I fix this?

that one is eol...

look at the previous emails..

Matt Maher Peterson

Oct 6, 2015, 5:02:45 PM10/6/15
to BeagleBoard
Not sure I am following are you saying run a different script?

Sorry I am noob...

I tried the init-eMMC-flasher.sh and get the same result.

Robert Nelson

Oct 6, 2015, 5:06:55 PM10/6/15
to Beagle Board
On Tue, Oct 6, 2015 at 4:02 PM, Matt Maher Peterson
<matt.mahe...@hydro-care.com> wrote:
> Not sure I am following are you saying run a different script?
>
> Sorry I am noob...
>
> I tried the init-eMMC-flasher.sh and get the same result.

We went over this a month ago... look in the "eMMC" directory above..

and read the readme.md (git pull) to get the latest..

Matt Maher Peterson

Oct 6, 2015, 6:18:23 PM10/6/15
to BeagleBoard
Ok I see now.  Use the script that is /opt/scripts/tools/emmc.

One more question.  The reason I was trying this tool again is that my custom debian image stopped auto connecting to my computer via usb.
I am running Ubuntu on my desktop and the little network icon just seams to be cycling thru trying to establish a connection.  It never seams to quite get there.

Any ideas?