Windows 8 (or 7): do not show USB drive

arunnanj...@gmail.com

Feb 12, 2014, 11:24:42 AM2/12/14
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I am a newbie to the Beagle. The issue I am facing is connecting the beagle (BeagleBone Black) to my laptop (which runs on Windows 8).

I followed the steps mentioned in the link 'http://beagleboard.org/Getting%20Started' and I was successfully able to install the device drivers for windows 64 bit.

But, I am not able to find the USB drive (Removable drive) after connecting the BBB to my laptop (even though BBB successfully boots). I tried below possible ways:

a. Tried connecting to other laptop that runs on windows 7 - No result
b. Stopped anti-virus software running - No result
c. Installed signed version of drivers - No result
  - No result

Kindly let me know whether this is an issue with the device or if I have missed any steps.

Regards,
Arun

quangha...@gmail.com

Feb 12, 2014, 2:34:49 PM2/12/14
to beagl...@googlegroups.com, arunnanj...@gmail.com
I got the same problem, the bbb cannot be detected through USB...

rafe....@gmail.com

Feb 12, 2014, 5:04:03 PM2/12/14
to beagl...@googlegroups.com, arunnanj...@gmail.com
I had a similar issue. I haven't been able to get it connected over usb. This is what I did as a work around: I hooked it up to my TV over HDMI and connected it to my network (RJ-45) and hooked up my keyboard and mouse. Once booted, I gave it a static IP address. Works like a champ except for the USB. There are warnings that explain trying to do that with USB power may be too much of a power draw and cause the board to power down. Hope that will get you going untill you or I figure it out.

PS. Instructions for assigning an IP can be found on Derek Molloy's site. If you haven't been there yet, lots of good tutorials.

doog

Feb 12, 2014, 7:25:29 PM2/12/14
to beagl...@googlegroups.com, arunnanj...@gmail.com
for what it's worth, I just booted a Ubuntu 13.10 liveDVD iso and after plugging in the BBB saw both the flash media device and the usb network. I was also greated with the BBB web server pages after entering 192.168.7.2 into Firefox.

What this means is that you can download the Ubuntu ISO file to your Windows box and use VMWare player to boot it inside of Windows and should see all of the BBB stuff.
if you install the free VMWare player on your Windows box, you'll need to setup a fake virtual machine and for the CDROM device set it to the Ubuntu ISO file.

I know it's a bit to go through but it also leaves you with a platform to verify things and if you want you can install that Ubuntu into the Virtual Machine and have a development platform without Windows getting in the way.

Or not.

Doug

david.w...@gmail.com

Jun 10, 2014, 8:48:27 PM6/10/14
to beagl...@googlegroups.com, arunnanj...@gmail.com
Did anyone find a solution to the original post?

fredf...@gmail.com

Jun 26, 2014, 2:31:28 AM6/26/14
to beagl...@googlegroups.com, arunnanj...@gmail.com, david.w...@gmail.com
On Wednesday, 11 June 2014 02:48:27 UTC+2, david.w...@gmail.com wrote:
Did anyone find a solution to the original post?

This seems to be a problem that is specific to this Windows installation, here it is working fine with Windows 7.

John Syn

Jun 26, 2014, 2:37:31 AM6/26/14
to beagl...@googlegroups.com

From: <fredf...@gmail.com>
Date: Wednesday, June 25, 2014 at 11:31 PM
To: "beagl...@googlegroups.com" <beagl...@googlegroups.com>
Cc: <arunnanj...@gmail.com>, <david.w...@gmail.com>
Subject: [beagleboard] Re: Windows 8 (or 7): do not show USB drive

On Wednesday, 11 June 2014 02:48:27 UTC+2, david.w...@gmail.com wrote:
Did anyone find a solution to the original post?

This seems to be a problem that is specific to this Windows installation, here it is working fine with Windows 7.
You guys are still using Windows!!!

When will you ever learn ;-)

Real programmers use Linux. Take a few weeks to learn Linux and simplify your life.