problem logging in with getty on beaglebone black

onio

Dec 10, 2017, 3:37:30 PM12/10/17
to BeagleBoard
I am learning Embedded Linux using the book titled "Mastering Embedded Linux Programming" by Chris Simmonds on page 131 of the second edition. He speak about adding the following lines to an "inittab" file in /etc when building a ram file system.
There is a version of getty in BusyBox. You launch it from inittab using the keyword
respawn, which restarts getty when a login shell is terminated, so inittab should read
like this:

::sysinit:/etc/init.d/rcS
::respawn:/sbin/getty 115200 console

My problem is when I do this I can't seem to log in I get re-occurring message
getty: can't open '/dev/null': No such file or directory

Any insight would be appreciated.

Robert Nelson

Dec 10, 2017, 3:41:57 PM12/10/17
to Beagle Board, oni...@gmail.com
Replace "console" with your actual serial link name..

BeagleBone Black: ttyO0

Regards,

--
Robert Nelson
https://rcn-ee.com/

onio

Dec 10, 2017, 3:56:10 PM12/10/17
to BeagleBoard
All,

Please ignore my previous post. The last rootf I built didn't have the correct nodes installed
$ cd ~/rootfs
$ sudo mknod -m 666 dev/null c 1 3
$ sudo mknod -m 600 dev/console c 5 1

Added the following command rebuilt the ram file system and all is well again. Thanks.

onio

Dec 10, 2017, 4:03:36 PM12/10/17
to BeagleBoard
Thanks Robert,

I fixed the issue as shown in my last post. Appreciate your time taken to reply.

Regards

onio