Availability - how come nobody has any BeagleBone Black to sell?

Paul Wright

Jan 6, 2014, 8:45:51 PM1/6/14
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
I was just curious why none of my usual distributors have any BeagleBone Black boards in stock and most are reporting lead times that are beyond belief.  Has there been some supply chain disturbance I have missed?  Shortage of a key component?

Just seems strange...

I'm evaluating a potential use but if there are going to be supply issues going forward, that is a concern.

Does anyone have any information they can offer?

Regards,

paul

Gerald Coley

Jan 7, 2014, 9:19:41 AM1/7/14
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
Newark has a few. Adafruit has some as well. Not sure what your potential is. I offer the following information.

Gerald

Message has been deleted

Ryan Neve

Jan 7, 2014, 2:21:38 PM1/7/14
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
Newark may show them in stock, but I've been back-ordered with them for three weeks and the stock and availability don't look good. Adafruit is out too, but their availability is more optimistic.

Ryan

Gerald Coley

Jan 7, 2014, 2:43:40 PM1/7/14
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
Well, the advantage is that you can plan your builds of your custom board based on your needs and you don't use the parts for the BeagleBone Black production nor rely on where the boards go into distribution Contact sa...@circuitco.com for more information.

Gerald

JBodine

Jan 8, 2014, 12:19:10 PM1/8/14
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
Last week, I ordered one from SparkFun electronics, they showed they had them in-stock. I Found out today that wasn't the case and it's backordered until an iffy mid February.  Very disappointing.

schaefms

Jan 8, 2014, 1:20:58 PM1/8/14
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

     I'm in the same boat.  I went through all of the listed suppliers, and now I'm bidding on a sole BBB on eBay.  Not in a huge hurry, since this is for a pet home project.  It really seems that the BBB has hit a sweet spot in terms of capability and price.  I have an HP server running my network that costs me $25-$30 a month in electricity, and I believe a BBB + a Synology NAS could to the same job for a fraction of the power consumption.  Just a DNS cache, NTP server, RADIUS/NIS/AD auth and SAMBA/NFS shares.  Maybe Asterisk.

Mark

Gerald Coley

Jan 8, 2014, 1:25:37 PM1/8/14
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
We have ship 4,400 boards since the first of the year. Anybody know where they went?

Gerald

Robert P. J. Day

Jan 8, 2014, 1:31:44 PM1/8/14
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, 8 Jan 2014, Gerald Coley wrote:

> We have ship 4,400 boards since the first of the year. Anybody know
> where they went?

> Gerald

i'm building a cluster ...

rday

Robert P. J. Day Ottawa, Ontario, CANADA
http://crashcourse.ca

Twitter: http://twitter.com/rpjday

Gerald Coley

Jan 8, 2014, 1:36:15 PM1/8/14
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
AHH! So that s where the 4,400 went.

Gerald

Rusty Wright

Jan 8, 2014, 1:36:59 PM1/8/14
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
Do you work for the NSA?  ;)

mark.s....@gmail.com

Jan 8, 2014, 2:08:09 PM1/8/14
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
Bitcoin? :D

Gerald Coley

Jan 8, 2014, 2:22:50 PM1/8/14
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
Actually, that had crossed my mind.

Gerald

On Wed, Jan 8, 2014 at 1:08 PM, <mark.s....@gmail.com> wrote:
Bitcoin? :D

Drew Fustini

Jan 8, 2014, 2:40:49 PM1/8/14
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
for those looking for small qty, microcenter has worked well for me - got to love local retail for weekend BeagleBone emergencies! :)

for those w/o microcenter in their area, it looks like you can order via their webstore too

mark.s....@gmail.com

Jan 8, 2014, 11:40:48 PM1/8/14
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
It says MCM Electronics, and MCM is out of stock, so I'm not sure I want to go through the hassle of ordering just to find out they backordered it.

ching...@gmail.com

Jan 9, 2014, 12:14:50 AM1/9/14
to beagl...@googlegroups.com

I was looking everywhere for it too.  On Jan 4 I signed up on Adafruit and one other place (Maker Shed?) to notify me when it's back in stock.

On Jan 6 morning I got email from Adafruit saying it's available, so I put in my order right away.  It just got shipped today, and on its way to me :)

Just checked with Adafruit, and it's again out of stock, so I feel very lucky.

Regards,
Ching

ky...@cranehome.info

Jan 10, 2014, 10:48:23 AM1/10/14
to beagl...@googlegroups.com, mark.s....@gmail.com
I checked the MicroCenter retail store in my area and they had 5 in stock.   Certainly not enough for a project but enough for the "I need on to play with right now" issues.

mark.s....@gmail.com

Jan 10, 2014, 11:35:53 AM1/10/14
to beagl...@googlegroups.com, mark.s....@gmail.com
Good call!  I went online to check the stock in my nearest store and it says they have five as well. It's an hour drive, but probably worth it.  I just need one for my "project" :)

tonso...@gmail.com

Jan 10, 2014, 6:55:20 PM1/10/14
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
I got one mail order from Micro Center - http://www.microcenter.com/product/416355/BeagleBone_Black

Also, was in a Radio Shack the other day and saw a starter kit. At $89 it might be worth checking if you are in a pinch.

Tony

Drew Fustini

Jan 10, 2014, 8:24:56 PM1/10/14
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
fyi - if you are in need of just 1, then you might want to check out element14's new BBB giveaway:

bris...@yahoo.com.au

Jan 12, 2014, 4:44:28 PM1/12/14
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
Doesn't help if you are in Australia. None of the suppliers here having been showing in stock since at least november.
I ordered one from RS in November and each time I check on the order they give a different expected delivery date.
Obviously bulk orders are getting priority and the individual just has to wait.

mark.s....@gmail.com

Jan 13, 2014, 10:02:55 AM1/13/14
to beagl...@googlegroups.com, mark.s....@gmail.com
I was able to pick one up on Saturday at MicroCenter.  Can't wait to get started :)

Mahendra Gunawardena

Jan 15, 2014, 12:23:50 PM1/15/14
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
Micro center has a few beaglebone black boards

sunvale

Jan 15, 2014, 2:53:29 PM1/15/14
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the info. Just placed an order through microcenter.com
I placed a backorder on 1/6 from digikey but no shipping info available yet.

skip...@gmail.com

Jan 19, 2014, 4:46:54 PM1/19/14
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
Have there been any 'official announcements' about the lack of stock yet?

Gerald Coley

Jan 20, 2014, 8:19:20 AM1/20/14
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
We are shipping boards as you can see form the daily updates on the support Wiki. They go to the distributors. They fill their back orders. No stock shows up because they are going to fill the back orders.

When the distributors have extra boards, they will then show up as having inventory.

Gerald

On Sun, Jan 19, 2014 at 3:46 PM, <skip...@gmail.com> wrote:
Have there been any 'official announcements' about the lack of stock yet?

David Anders

Jan 23, 2014, 12:02:42 PM1/23/14
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
just fyi, for anyone interested, Special Computing is showing a pretty large stock of BeagleBone Blacks available:

https://specialcomp.com/beaglebone/index.htm

David Anders

Jan 23, 2014, 12:15:48 PM1/23/14
to beagl...@googlegroups.com, skip...@gmail.com
there is nothing to announce.... CircuitCo has been shipping consistently since the release. the demand for black grown significantly as well as the fact there are number of companies using black inside commercial productions violating the terms of use for black. with this in mind those companies have been buying blacks up in bulk making it harder for individuals to purchase....

Dave

Gerald Coley

Jan 23, 2014, 12:21:01 PM1/23/14
to beagl...@googlegroups.com, skip...@gmail.com

Giuseppe Iellamo

Jan 23, 2014, 12:32:17 PM1/23/14
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
It doesn't seem that using BBC on a commercial project is an infringement to the term of use. There is only a warning...

Giuseppe Iellamo

Jan 23, 2014, 12:32:18 PM1/23/14
to beagl...@googlegroups.com

Gerald Coley

Jan 23, 2014, 1:24:11 PM1/23/14
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
Yes, it is a big warning. Then again, it will take me five minutes to change that to shall we say, a violation of the terms of use. There are avenues available to prevent companies from wiping out inventories as I clearly state.

There are in the terms and conditions for each distributor about selling to people that use them in products. We are reviewing this and may end up removing distributors that violate their terms and conditions.

Gerald

On Thu, Jan 23, 2014 at 11:32 AM, Giuseppe Iellamo <pep...@gmail.com> wrote:
It doesn't seem that using BBC on a commercial project is an infringement to the term of use. There is only a warning...

Venkat Bommakanti

Jan 23, 2014, 2:23:39 PM1/23/14
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
Interesting...
That link points to a $10 markup - a 22% profit margin (assuming they buy for $45 like all of us :-)
There's also a link to an Amazon-based supplier, charging a $14 markup - a 31% profit margin.

Some markup is reasonable, but these above examples feel like outright greed driven - on the backs of a non-profit org... Feels like these guys are abusing distributor privileges.

I think folks would rather pay those artificial premiums to http://beagleboard.org/ towards supporting software dev ;?) Even a small $10 premium, over say 30,000 future units would fetch enough to hire 2~3 fulltime developers.

Why doesn't the org setup a paypal acct or some such, and have individuals directly buy from them - maybe charging a reasonable amount for S/H overheads, even using the help of volunteers.

/venkat

Eric Fort

Jan 23, 2014, 3:01:06 PM1/23/14
to beagleboard
The reality is that logistically It's easier and cheaper for at least
most orgs to sell in bulk to a finite number of distributors to allow
each to do what they do best, most economically, and at the highest
efficiency. Beagle.org is in the business of design and production of
small electronic computer boards. Companies like Arrow, RS
Components, Mouser, Digikey, Element14, & Newark while one may
percieve them as being in the electronics business are actually in the
logistics and distrubution business, not electronics and they do an
economic and efficient job of doing just that. the reality is that
with minor adjustments they could probably do the same with next
year's potato crop. Even the Rasberry Pi foundation realizes this and
does not sell one offs directly. The point is it's generally best to
allow each entity to concentrate on what they are best at. That said,
It's probably best for beagleboard.org to concentrate upon excellence
in board design and manufacture and allow the distributors to perform
the logistical duties of distribution at which they excel. It
provides a better, lower cost product that reaches the consumer faster
by dividing things up this way. That's just business.

Eric
.

doog

Jan 23, 2014, 10:28:35 PM1/23/14
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
I just noticed that Digikey has a 100pack part number( BB-BBLK-100-ND ) so wouldn't that almost by default be in violation of the 'don't use it in a product' clause? Just the fact that they have a PN for a 100 qty order instead of say a 30 pack or 10 pack should raise some eyebrows. No?

Doug

Robert Nelson

Jan 23, 2014, 10:52:42 PM1/23/14
to Beagle Board
On Thu, Jan 23, 2014 at 9:28 PM, doog <doug....@gmail.com> wrote:
> I just noticed that Digikey has a 100pack part number( BB-BBLK-100-ND ) so
> wouldn't that almost by default be in violation of the 'don't use it in a
> product' clause? Just the fact that they have a PN for a 100 qty order
> instead of say a 30 pack or 10 pack should raise some eyebrows. No?

Well, that part has existed for as long as the beaglebone black has
been around.. Still non-stock.. I doubt anyone's ever received an
order on it.

Regards,

--
Robert Nelson
http://www.rcn-ee.com/

John Syn

Jan 23, 2014, 11:08:29 PM1/23/14
to beagl...@googlegroups.com

From: doog <doug....@gmail.com>
Date: Thursday, January 23, 2014 at 7:28 PM
To: <beagl...@googlegroups.com>
Subject: Re: [beagleboard] Re: Availability - how come nobody has any BeagleBone Black to sell?

I just noticed that Digikey has a 100pack part number( BB-BBLK-100-ND ) so wouldn't that almost by default be in violation of the 'don't use it in a product' clause? Just the fact that they have a PN for a 100 qty order instead of say a 30 pack or 10 pack should raise some eyebrows. No?
Could be that an overseas distributor buys in bulk for developers in their area. Anyway, given that Digikey and others were caught flat footed with no stock, I’m sure they will bump up their order projections and Circuitco is more than capable of meeting those increased volumes. So calm down, this shouldn’t be an issue going forward.

David Anders

Jan 27, 2014, 3:22:42 PM1/27/14
to beagl...@googlegroups.com

Doug,

that part number exists only for accounting purposes to receive shipments and to do cross shipment between distributors....

Dave

doog

Jan 27, 2014, 4:25:28 PM1/27/14
to beagl...@googlegroups.com

On Monday, January 27, 2014 12:22:42 PM UTC-8, David Anders wrote:

Doug,

that part number exists only for accounting purposes to receive shipments and to do cross shipment between distributors....

Dave

Thanks Dave, now where the 'like'/'+' button.

Doug

GauchoMan

Jan 29, 2014, 4:38:22 PM1/29/14
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
Gerald,

I see on http://www.elinux.org/Beagleboard:BeagleBoneBlack#Board_Shipments that there have been 11,375 shipped so far in January.
I have had Qty 1 on back-order from Digikey since Jan 13th. I would have assumed that enough boards must have shipped to Digikey this month to cover back orders, and yet I am still waiting for one board?

Any clues as to what is happening here?

Regards,
Gord Finlay

Robert Nelson

Jan 29, 2014, 4:40:27 PM1/29/14
to Beagle Board
On Wed, Jan 29, 2014 at 3:38 PM, GauchoMan <gord....@gmail.com> wrote:
> Gerald,
>
> I see on http://www.elinux.org/Beagleboard:BeagleBoneBlack#Board_Shipments
> that there have been 11,375 shipped so far in January.
> I have had Qty 1 on back-order from Digikey since Jan 13th. I would have
> assumed that enough boards must have shipped to Digikey this month to cover
> back orders, and yet I am still waiting for one board?
>
> Any clues as to what is happening here?

Well the shortage started early-december, so it's catching up to you..

George Lu

Jan 29, 2014, 4:45:36 PM1/29/14
to beagl...@googlegroups.com

FYI, I have received email notification that adafruit.com has BBB in stock as of this morning.

Rusty Wright

Jan 29, 2014, 5:02:24 PM1/29/14
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
Newark charged my credit card yesterday.  I placed the order on 7 January.

Gerald Coley

Jan 29, 2014, 5:10:06 PM1/29/14
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
The responses are in line with my belief that you are in a long line..

Gerald

On Wed, Jan 29, 2014 at 4:02 PM, Rusty Wright <rusty....@gmail.com> wrote:
Newark charged my credit card yesterday.  I placed the order on 7 January.

Rusty Wright

Jan 29, 2014, 5:19:51 PM1/29/14
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
As long as the line is moving I'm happy!

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "BeagleBoard" group.

Ronny Julian

Jan 29, 2014, 6:33:58 PM1/29/14
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
I saw 3 on the shelf at Microcenter in  Marietta GA

Gerald Coley

Jan 30, 2014, 9:11:37 AM1/30/14
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
The line is moving and we are looking to get more parts in house sooner to increase the output. All it takes is one single part and we can't build a board.

Gerald

Paul Tan

Feb 4, 2014, 9:28:41 AM2/4/14
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
I have some in stock if anyone needs them.

Paul Tan.
Exadler Technologies Inc.

Ronny Julian

Feb 4, 2014, 7:11:27 PM2/4/14
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
Guess no one saw my comment because Microcenter in Marietta GA still had two on the shelf again today.
Message has been deleted

Giuseppe Iellamo

Feb 5, 2014, 2:35:15 AM2/5/14
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
Maybe the world is a little bigger than Marietta ;-)

Distributors in Italy (RS components, Mouser, Farnell) are still without boards. RS says you can reserve boards for April...

Ronny Julian

Feb 5, 2014, 4:56:26 AM2/5/14
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
Yea it is but shipping is not that bad.  They will ship it or I could if the person that needed one wanted to write me.  SSeeing as everyone else is out.  Ya gotta stop thinking so negative there!

On Wed, Feb 5, 2014 at 2:33 AM, Giuseppe Iellamo <pep...@gmail.com> wrote:
Maybe the world is a little bigger than Marietta ;-)

Gerald Coley

Feb 5, 2014, 12:27:52 PM2/5/14
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
If you wait until you see stock, you may never get a board. Just place your order and you will have a better chance of getting it sooner. Backlog are filling up as fast as they go down.

Gerald

Robert Lawrence

Feb 7, 2014, 11:11:40 AM2/7/14
to beagl...@googlegroups.com

On Monday, 6 January 2014 21:45:51 UTC-4, Paul Wright wrote:
I was just curious why none of my usual distributors have any BeagleBone Black boards in stock and most are reporting lead times that are beyond belief.  Has there been some supply chain disturbance I have missed?  Shortage of a key component?

Just seems strange...

I'm evaluating a potential use but if there are going to be supply issues going forward, that is a concern.

Does anyone have any information they can offer?

Regards,

paul

they show stock:
http://www.logicsupply.com/components/beaglebone/

dohan...@gmail.com

Feb 10, 2014, 10:54:40 PM2/10/14
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
They're out of stock already. Expected 07/11/2014.

I'll order from Mouser which is expected Feb 28. There is defianetly a supply problem. Mouser alone claims it has over 13,000 on order. Sounds like demand is higher than anticipated.

Gerald Coley

Feb 11, 2014, 9:13:47 AM2/11/14
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
Yes, the demand is higher than the distributors anticipated. We are basically keeping up with the backlog. If you wait until a distributor shows stock to order, odds are you won't get it.

Gerald

Dan

Feb 11, 2014, 11:24:04 AM2/11/14
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
Try a Wandboard as an alternative to the Beagle Bone Black until supply catches up with demand:

If you are looking to go into production there is a path forward with Wandboard (7-10 lifespan and supply guarantee)

areski....@gmail.com

Feb 11, 2014, 12:46:16 PM2/11/14
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
Hello Mister COLEY,

Why don't you think sell BeagleBone Black to profesionnal customers too? It seems there is a market.
I think there are companies with small knowledge in embedded systems, which want to add connectivity and BBB features on their systems with small development phase and cost.

Sorry for my English, I'm French :-)

areski....@gmail.com

Feb 11, 2014, 12:50:24 PM2/11/14
to beagl...@googlegroups.com

areski....@gmail.com

Feb 11, 2014, 12:53:18 PM2/11/14
to beagl...@googlegroups.com

areski....@gmail.com

Feb 11, 2014, 12:54:02 PM2/11/14
to beagl...@googlegroups.com

Gerald Coley

Feb 11, 2014, 2:54:33 PM2/11/14
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
We are focused on the community. Fell free to build it yourself however. All the materials to build it are provided for free and you don't have to pay any development costs.

Gerald

Gerald Coley

Feb 11, 2014, 2:55:00 PM2/11/14
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
We are focused on the community. Feel free to build it yourself however. All the materials to build it are provided for free and you don't have to pay any development costs.

Gerald

anil.g...@gmail.com

Feb 18, 2014, 2:46:30 AM2/18/14
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
I have been looking for 3+ weeks and unable to find any stock anywhere.

Is there a way to see the order backlog with Circuitco and current supply capability?  Is the issue getting better or worse? (My anecdotal experience suggests it may be getting worse.)  The current situation is frustrating.  If the news is bad, let us know it early and deal with it.  Right now, there is no data at all.

Gerald: thanks for your timely and open updates.

Gerald Coley

Feb 18, 2014, 8:40:04 AM2/18/14
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
Pick a distributor. Place an order. Do not wait until they show stock.  We are basically keeping up with the back logs at most of the distributors.

As you can see we ship 700 per day and no one shows stock. Ever wonder why that is?

We have 140,000 board back log at this time. A lot of those orders have only come in the last couple of months. Lead times on some parts is 26 weeks.

capacity is not the issue.

Gerald

Gerald

Robert P. J. Day

Feb 18, 2014, 8:45:45 AM2/18/14
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, 18 Feb 2014, Gerald Coley wrote:

> Pick a distributor. Place an order. Do not wait until they show
> stock. We are basically keeping up with the back logs at most of
> the distributors. As you can see we ship 700 per day and no one
> shows stock. Ever wonder why that is?
>
> We have 140,000 board back log at this time. A lot of those orders
> have only come in the last couple of months. Lead times on some
> parts is 26 weeks.

wow ... i'm glad i have a drawerful at home. :-)

rday

Robert P. J. Day Ottawa, Ontario, CANADA
http://crashcourse.ca

Twitter: http://twitter.com/rpjday

Eric Palmer

Feb 18, 2014, 10:04:01 AM2/18/14
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
what distributors accept orders when they are out of stock.

Eric Palmer

Gerald Coley

Feb 18, 2014, 11:04:49 AM2/18/14
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
Digikey and Mouser will based on when the next shipment comes in. These distributors will not show any stock until they have sufficient inventory built up.

Gerald

Drew Fustini

Feb 18, 2014, 11:37:22 AM2/18/14
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
for North America: http://www.newark.com/circuitco/bb-bblk-000/dev-board-am3358-59-arm-mpu-beaglebone/dp/65W6016

Place an order now and you will be in the queue.  I believe you won't be charged until it ships and can cancel it at anytime until it ships too.  The amount that will be available when back in stock will be stock minus backorders.  So it is possible for it to say 10,000 arriving on X date and then on X date there be 0 because those all went to backorders.

cheers,
drew

David Anders

Feb 18, 2014, 4:05:46 PM2/18/14
to beagl...@googlegroups.com, anil.g...@gmail.com
as gerald stated, circuitco is in full production of the beaglebone black and continues to ship daily to a wide range of distributors. these distributors fill back-orders first before showing stock.

http://elinux.org/Beagleboard:BeagleBoneBlack#Board_Shipments

Dave

Daniel Metcalf

Feb 18, 2014, 4:07:19 PM2/18/14
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
I got one from AdaFruit two weeks ago.

Dan Metcalf -- KB3UUN

Dennis Cote

Feb 18, 2014, 6:20:50 PM2/18/14
to beagl...@googlegroups.com

On Tuesday, February 18, 2014 6:40:04 AM UTC-7, Gerald wrote:
We are basically keeping up with the back logs at most of the distributors.

As you can see we ship 700 per day and no one shows stock.

We have 140,000 board back log at this time. A lot of those orders have only come in the last couple of months. Lead times on some parts is 26 weeks.

capacity is not the issue.

Hi Gerald,

I just want to check your math here.

Using your last full month, January 2014, you shipped 13,575 boards over 22 working days, or about 617 boards per day. So shipping 700 per day seems reasonable.

You say your backlog is 140000 boards which were ordered in the last couple of months. If I use 3 months as the span for the backlog orders, you backlog orders for about 47000 boards per month, or about 2100 boards per working day (based on 22 working days per month).

Based on this your order backlog is growing at about 3 time the rate you are shipping. It seems like this must have been the case for a while in order for the backlog to build to 140000 boards. So perhaps capacity really is an issue.

Is your current production limited by part supply issues? If so, I assume you increased your part orders several months ago when the backlog began, but with 26 week deliveries you won't see the increased supply for another 3 months or so. If that's the case then the backlog will only continue to grow and will take a month or two after the parts supply improves before you are able to clear this backlog even if you can increase your capacity to ship 7000 boards per day (i.e. 10 times what you are doing now).

I agree that people best bet is still to place an order and get in the queue for any boards they want. They may have to wait for a while.

Dennis Cote

Gerald Coley

Feb 18, 2014, 6:29:27 PM2/18/14
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
Parts are an issue. Lead times on some of these are 26 weeks out. So it is not possible to ramp up to the 1500 per day that we did before the distributors asked us to back off. I takes a while to fill the pipeline. And as there is not profit in the board, we can't just pay expedite fees on parts and PCBs to get them in here faster like we did on the other three boards. No desire to ship money out the door with every board.

Just because we have orders on the books, does not mean distributors will take everything they have on order immediately. They want them scheduled out.

Gerald

Anil Gupta

Feb 20, 2014, 10:21:15 PM2/20/14
to David Anders, beagl...@googlegroups.com
Dave,
Gerald,

From my experience with product fulfillment: a good plan would establish a target date when the product would be broadly available in the market with only occasional shortages.   A key to this is to show back orders as a % of weekly production, and whether back orders are reducing or increasing as we fulfill back orders and receive new orders each week.  There would be a weekly review of whether the target date is likely to be met, production plan and any changes, and a new date, if needed.  Sudden orders and other unexpected situations are common in all kinds of fulfillment situations and there are lots of good systems to deal with this.

I am happy to volunteer to do weekly analytics.

elinux.org only shows monthly shipments, with little clue around demand and back order situation.  It is nice to know that "circuitco is in full production" but we need to provide lots more facts.

Dr. Anil Gupta

Gerald Coley

Feb 20, 2014, 10:31:54 PM2/20/14
to beagl...@googlegroups.com, David Anders
We did this. A year ago when we launched the product. Things were fine until roughly October. Demand has risen due to people using boards in products  They never told anyone about their pending demand. They thought the boards just magically appear in the cabbage patch.

We build to distributor orders and schedules. We are close to getting out of this.

I appreciate your offer of help. But this is not just a analytic problem. It is a data problem. We have plugged the data into the formula and are adjusting to that new data and working to fill the pipeline and to get orders shipped.

Gerald

anil.g...@gmail.com

Feb 21, 2014, 12:51:10 AM2/21/14
to beagl...@googlegroups.com, David Anders
Appreciate the figures of 700/day on supply and 140,000 on back orders (200 days of supply.. phew!).

This is an awesome product. What you saw until October was just people trying it out.  They've concluded it is a good product and are ordering it in greater quantities.  That is where we are and I hear similar stories from others. An order build up of 140,000 in two months, even with supply of 700/day suggests an incoming demand of 3500+ per day.  I believe you will see this kind of demand continue.  None of these buyers want to get into manufacturing--Circuitco is good at it.  It would be a shame to see a great product go sideways due to supply issues.

Given that the main constraint is lead time for some components: if sweeteners such as expedite fees can help, I think the community won't mind a higher price.. say $48 or $50, to ensure a demand-supply balance.

Gerald Coley

Feb 21, 2014, 9:28:56 AM2/21/14
to beagl...@googlegroups.com, David Anders
Expedite fees? Well we used to do that on the earlier boards. But there is zero buffer on these boards. The idea of loosing say $700,000 is not something that makes a lot of sense. Having deals and POs in place with distributors and then telling them, Oh sorry, you have to pay more is tough.

I am thinking of maybe taking the price to say $75 in the future.

Gerald

Robert Nelson

Feb 21, 2014, 9:38:35 AM2/21/14
to Beagle Board, David Anders
On Fri, Feb 21, 2014 at 8:28 AM, Gerald Coley <ger...@beagleboard.org> wrote:
Expedite fees? Well we used to do that on the earlier boards. But there is zero buffer on these boards. The idea of loosing say $700,000 is not something that makes a lot of sense. Having deals and POs in place with distributors and then telling them, Oh sorry, you have to pay more is tough.

I am thinking of maybe taking the price to say $75 in the future.

+1 I think you should do that..

Regards,

--
Robert Nelson
http://www.rcn-ee.com/

Gerald Coley

Feb 21, 2014, 9:41:05 AM2/21/14
to beagl...@googlegroups.com, David Anders
We are thinking about a lot of things right now.

Gerald

Eric Palmer

Feb 21, 2014, 10:00:46 AM2/21/14
to beagl...@googlegroups.com, beagl...@googlegroups.com, David Anders
+1 on $75

Sent from my iPhone

Bas Laarhoven

Feb 21, 2014, 10:14:58 AM2/21/14
to beagl...@googlegroups.com

Good to hear, does that also include thinking about paying your debt to this cape developer ?

-- Bas

Gerald Coley

Feb 21, 2014, 10:17:57 AM2/21/14
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
I would think that is up to whomever it is that owes you.

Gerald

Bas Laarhoven

Feb 21, 2014, 10:21:00 AM2/21/14
to beagl...@googlegroups.com

You're not speaking for circuitco then?

-- Bas

Gerald Coley

Feb 21, 2014, 10:22:04 AM2/21/14
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
I work for TI.

Gerald

George Erhart

Feb 21, 2014, 10:27:09 AM2/21/14
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the tip ... they are only charging a $4.99 premium on the BBB and as of a few minutes ago, claimed they were in stock. So, I ordered one and it is suppose to ship on Monday (2/24). So, we will see. I had a backorder with Sparkfun, but their expected date slipped from 2/19 to 4/5 ... so I cancelled the order.

Micka

Feb 21, 2014, 10:28:04 AM2/21/14
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
WHAT are you saying ? It's to the Cap builder to do something !!!

PLUS, if you want something to work in the open source, you have to do it yourself, that the price of open source !

I wanted the RS485 CAP work and I had Zero knowledge in Linux Kernel, It took me 2 month to understand how to make it Happen.

I wanted to fix the issue with the LCD ( Jitter Problem) => I just needed to find out where was the driver source => I fixed it !

Micka,

Robert P. J. Day

Feb 21, 2014, 10:40:13 AM2/21/14
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, 21 Feb 2014, Micka wrote:

> WHAT are you saying ? It's to the Cap builder to do something !!!
>
> PLUS, if you want something to work in the open source, you have to
> do it yourself, that the price of open source !
>
> I wanted the RS485 CAP work and I had Zero knowledge in Linux
> Kernel, It took me 2 month to understand how to make it Happen.
>
> I wanted to fix the issue with the LCD ( Jitter Problem) => I just
> needed to find out where was the driver source => I fixed it !

can we please take this kind of bickering offline? It's really
pretty unseemly.

Bas Laarhoven

Feb 21, 2014, 10:57:33 AM2/21/14
to beagl...@googlegroups.com

Ah I see. Somehow I knew this, but you seem to know much about internal circuitco issues.
Sorry for that, but I'm unable to reach anyone at circuitco. I've had a deal with Bob and later
got a commitment from Clint to resolve the matter. But circuitco never delivered and now
seems to think it's easier to ignore the situation. Expensive lesson learned, so much for trusting people.

-- Bas

Mahendra Gunawardena

Feb 21, 2014, 10:57:46 AM2/21/14
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
I believe the current demand is due to the price point. With demand the price needs to go down. The supply issues need to be sorted out.

Gerald Coley

Feb 21, 2014, 11:02:46 AM2/21/14
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
I just oversee the manufacturing and support of beagleboard.org. Any other issues are theirs.

Gerald

doog

Feb 21, 2014, 12:37:50 PM2/21/14
to beagl...@googlegroups.com

On Friday, February 21, 2014 8:02:46 AM UTC-8, Gerald wrote:
I just oversee the manufacturing and support of beagleboard.org. Any other issues are theirs.

Gerald

And you are doing one heck of a good job! I sure hope you don't let the few who keep complaining make you feel like you're not. So please keep up the good work and brush off the digs that you're not doing enough and try to enjoy what you're doing. Some of us appreciate your efforts bringing such an awesome board to us individuals so we can enjoy your efforts and do great things with it.

Doug

Gerald Coley

Feb 21, 2014, 12:46:42 PM2/21/14
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
I appreciate the feedback ! We are all busting it to get things back up to the new norm! There is a long line of people between us and the parts we need.

Gerald

Przemek Klosowski

Feb 21, 2014, 4:13:02 PM2/21/14
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Feb 21, 2014 at 12:46 PM, Gerald Coley <ger...@beagleboard.org> wrote:
> I appreciate the feedback ! We are all busting it to get things back up to
> the new norm! There is a long line of people between us and the parts we
> need.

Can you say which parts are the bottleneck?

Your experience spinning up this amazing operation is quite unique and
it would be a great resource to other budding entrepreneurs if you
would write your story. Others could definitely learn from where the
difficulties were and how you resolved them, especially if you didn't
expect them to be hard beforehand.

Gerald Coley

Feb 21, 2014, 4:19:58 PM2/21/14
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
Interesting. I am not sure Stephen King could stand the competition of another horror writer!

I will think it over!

Gerald

Eric Palmer

Feb 21, 2014, 4:14:21 PM2/21/14
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
Gerald

The BBB is an amazing piece of work. It has gotten me excited about embedded systems like never before. Thanks

On Fri, Feb 21, 2014 at 12:46 PM, Gerald Coley <ger...@beagleboard.org> wrote:

--
Eric Palmer
Message has been deleted

Gerald Coley

Feb 21, 2014, 7:33:12 PM2/21/14
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
eMMC for one. Schedules are extended out. You have some we can buy? Some of the crystals as well.

Gerald

On Fri, Feb 21, 2014 at 4:58 PM, rh_ <richard...@lavabit.com> wrote:
On Fri, 21 Feb 2014 15:19:58 -0600
Gerald Coley <ger...@beagleboard.org> wrote:

> Interesting. I am not sure Stephen King could stand the competition of
> another horror writer!
>
> I will think it over!

So which parts are in short supply?
Message has been deleted

Gerald Coley

Feb 24, 2014, 8:53:37 AM2/24/14
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
Replacing with a larger part will increase the cost and void all POs in place. There are no smaller parts than 2GB. Not taking into consideration the fact that SW would not fit in a smaller part.

We have been doing this for six years now and have a pretty good idea how to do this. We are working through it as quickly as we can. It is going to take time. All the tricks are being employed to get boards out..

Gerald

On Sun, Feb 23, 2014 at 9:57 PM, rh_ <richard...@lavabit.com> wrote:
On Fri, 21 Feb 2014 18:33:12 -0600
Gerald Coley <ger...@beagleboard.org> wrote:

> eMMC for one. Schedules are extended out. You have some we can buy?
> Some of the crystals as well.

Kind of a critical part. I don't know anything about them other than the
basics. Is it possible to replace with a larger-sized part? Of course charging
more for the BBB. Or selling a BBB without an eMMC? It can then boot
from mSD or USB or UART or ethernet. It seems to me that a lot of
people are not running from eMMC since it's got a limited lifetime
(although a pretty long one if you minimize writing).

Or a smaller part for same money?

Anil Gupta

Feb 24, 2014, 9:27:09 AM2/24/14
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
Gerald,

Your prompt and straightforward responses are reassuring, as frustrating as the current situation is.

Beaglebone Black demand could approach that of Raspberry Pi--I understand 40,000 units/week of the latter are being produced in the UK alone.  I hope your plan includes the ability to produce 20,000 to 40,000 units/week.  Best to do it right once.

Anil

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "BeagleBoard" group.
It is loading more messages.